close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New PC on the way...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by goatranch, May 22, 2007.

1. goatranch

goatranch

Mar 26, 2004
    Down south.
    I have a new Dell E521 coming. Yeah!! XP Pro, Athlon 64X2 dual core processor. 2G RAM, 80G HD. Got GOOD deal on three day special. Are the dual cores really fast??:banana:

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    I tend to think of it more as "high bandwidth" (lots of throughput) than "fast" (high clockspeed) - but, yes, they're generally pretty fast too.

3. Kilrain

Kilrain Señor Member

Apr 25, 2001
    On the road to Shambala
    Would you say it's like an aftermarket replacemnet automotive oil pump? High volume not high pressure? A comparison I might understand.

I just got a new computer with an E6600 Intel Duo dual core and it's fast and able to handle most anything I throw at it.

4. Glocker424

Glocker424

Aug 28, 2004
    New York City
    Yeah those E6600s are amazing. Make sure you pair it up with DDR2 800 RAM to get its full potential. If you pair those Core 2 Duos up with slow ram they will not preform to their full extent.

To the OP:
    I think you should build your own computer and go with a Intel Core 2 Duo build because the core 2 duos are top of the line right now and sweep AMD right off the table. There has also been a price drop on all Core 2 Duos recently and even RAM so buying DDR2 800 RAM is way cheaper then it used to be.

Bottom line is if you pair a fast processor up with slow ram, your robbing the speed you can get out of that processor.

Like dealing with a dirty air filter or clogged fuel injectors, your going to get less performance.

5. goatranch

goatranch

Mar 26, 2004
    Down south.
    According to reports online, the Athlon X2 is better. Probably doesn't mean much. 'He said , she said', blah, blah, blah. I got it up and running today and it works great. I am happy and THAS what counts in my book.