close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New parts arriving today

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by chbix, Jun 5, 2007.

1. chbix

chbix
    Expand Collapse

Ok so my brothers video card went out, i dont remember what it is, but somehow he ended up with my old video card (which was pretty good at the time), so his was crappy and i think i ended up trashing it when i got a new one. So his video card went out and he wanted mine....... so, since he was giving me a wireless router, i figured i would give him the old one, and buy a new one.

I start looking around and realize that my mobo is about 2 years old, and that there isnt a great selection of agp cards and i start thinking time for an upgrade.

im running a p4 3.4 chip and dont really want to drop loads of cash, so I decide to keep the chip, get a new mobo that supports ddr2 and pci-E, grab 2gb of DDR2 and a new pci-e Nvidia 8600gt and it arrives today. Total cost, about $260 from newegg. I think the mobo was $70 ish, 2gb of corsair value was 60, and the video card was like $140.

Will be putting it all in tonight!!!! im like a kid in a candy store.

2. tous

tous
    Expand Collapse
    GET A ROPE!

I'd punt the stock CPU cooler and install a good Thermaltake or Zalman. You're gonna pry the old one off anyway, right? :supergrin:

The nVidia 8600 is a great middle-of-the road GPU. Been around long enough to be stable, has just about enough ooomph to do all but the most demanding games.

Good luck, mi amigo.

3. chbix

chbix
    Expand Collapse

So new parts where there, I went out and bought a new fan as suggested, it was either $15 for new thermal grease or $25 for a new fan, i got the fan, not the name brands like you suggested but a better fan anyway. larger heatsink, bigger fan, better flow.

So the install went good, some issues here and there, but nothing i hadnt seen before, sit down, hit the power, and everything works right. love it when it happens. Then comes the problems. I figure im going to just reinstall xp just because i have all new drivers and components and would just rather start new, i pop in the xp disk and it starts to do its pre install loading and i get a blue screen error talking about system halted to prevent something. SO im like crap. I take out the cd and reboot, and it still loads into my old os install. So im thinking interesting, so i use partion magic and wipe the hd first. Then try install, same thing.

Im freaking out because i only have 1 xp disk and just wiped the hd, so i try default bios, still error. So my wife casually says why dont you use the vista upgrade we got wtih the laptop (when i bought my laptop it came with xp but has the recovery disks only that will only work with that laptop, but i was able to send away for the vista home premium upgrade for free.) Im thinking it wouldnt work because it was an upgrade, but I plug it in there and bam it starst a clean install.... cool. Although the drivers that came wtih the mobo wont install... but vista shows everything working. A few bugs here and there but over all a good install.

now for the performance boost. So i ran 3d mark 05 on the old system and it ran like a 2050, with the new stuff it ran ~ 6800. so we are looking at about a 3.5x increase.
    Plus vista looks really cool, and WOW runs great. I will have to install rainbow six vegas tonight and see where that ends up.

So i am very pleased

4. tous

tous
    Expand Collapse
    GET A ROPE!

Good to hear, mi amigo. :thumbsup: