New Mossberg 590

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Slackinoff, Dec 27, 2012.

1. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

With no extension the 18.5" holds 5 in the tube of 2 3/4" I currently have a flush extension that brings me to 7 + 1.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. chr_edw, I have a blue heeler that will do the same thing as your dog (if that is your dog in your avatar) when you throw something in the pool that sinks to the bottom...Its hilarious to watch with goggles on!

Guys I plan to take at least an 1.5'' off the stock tomorrow . I'll post pics when I'm finished...drives me crazy because it fits no one except Hickok45 or some other freak of nature.

3. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Not my dog.. More of my alter ego.

I've been wanting to do something about my LOP also.... Let me know how it goes. Have considered buying the 12 hogue stock have just never got around to it.

4. Maybe it has something to do with the mag spring length or the follower since his holds 6 in the tube of his "bone stock 18.5 590a1."

#44 DFin, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  5. You need a 20 round drum for that bad boy!

6. According to Fred Choate, in that thread, his extension adds +1 to the stock 5 round mag tube (6 shells in the mag tube +1 in the chamber) with the spring & follower he supplies. According to others in that thread it holds 7 shells in the tube (7+1) with the stock Mossberg follower.

#46 DFin, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. Fwiw, I just picked it up December 26 so if anything I'd imagine it would hold less rather than more. And it is bone stock.

8. made a short video

[ame]http://youtu.be/vsfd9uLILUg[/ame]

9. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Yea.. Could be a different spring or follower I guess... Mine was bought about a year ago.

10. I suspect that swapping out the follower alone for an aftermarket version may be enough for that extra round of capacity. I'll find out soon enough; I just ordered a 590A1 model 51517.

11. But I never swapped anything.... I bought it new in box just a few days ago. I'm willing to bet it's an ammo thing. Those cheapo Walmart bulk packs are likely sized differently than whatever ammo you guys may be using

12. I also considered buying the "short" houge stock but I saw in reviews from many distributors that houge doesn't provide the correct hardware. You have to provide your own shorter bolt. If you use the original it will break the trigger housing....not cool houge. Why not provide us the bolt? :dunno:

13. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Good info on the hardware... I was un-aware, actually didn't even think about needing one . Hummm I'm not sure where to look for one either. Brownells maybe.

That is pretty crappy from Hogue though.

14. I wouldn't think it's due to the follower, since the follower in mine takes up very little space. It's probably the spring and/or ammo.

15. My Hogue stock installed fine with their provided hardware. I absolutely love it. Completely transformed the gun for me.

16. I read that putting the rubber pad in the freezer will make it less difficult to sand down....I hope so. I am pleased with how much better the gun feels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Was it the "shorter" length of pull stock?

18. I have both the 590 and 590A1. Either one is just fine.

I removed part of the bayonet lug on the 590 so it wouldn't interfere with a Surefire light on a forend, and I installed a knoxx spec ops stock on that shotgun. The 590A1 is as received from Mossberg, with the Davis Speedfeed stock.

Both have high-visibility followers in the magazine tube to make identification easy by sight or feel, and both have spare round carriers on the side of the receiver.

19. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

How much did you take off?

The hogue should be 12" LOP.

20. The cut piece measured 1.5''. Just measured and the final length of pull is just a hair under 13''