close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New member in N. GA

Discussion in 'The Georgia Club' started by 82ndVet, Dec 31, 2008.

1. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Dec 15, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Hello everyone, just checking in. How y'all doing? Been a member for a couple of weeks now, just haven't got around to posting yet. Anyways, I scored one heck of a deal on a G17 today, along with a few other goodies. I'll post up a pic in the 'general' section in a bit.

I have a few questions regarding permits, and transporting my firearm in my vehicle. I figured I would ask this here, because some states have different regulations so........

1) Do I need a permit to transport my weapon "to and from the range only"?
    If no, should it be packed in my range bag unloaded or should it be sitting on the seat unloaded? Just want to know what is legal in case I get pulled over on the way to or from the range.

2) Are the requirements for purchasing the same as the requirements for obtaining a permit? I know about the fingerprint deal, but is there any other checks or processes that I will need to go through? In other words, I'm ok to purchase, so will I be ok with obtaining a permit?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jon

2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Hello, Jon. Happy New Year, welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service :patriot:

IANAL, but GA law allows anyone who's "non-prohibited" (i.e., if you can pass a NICs check) to carry a loaded firearm in your car if it's in your glove box, console, or out on the passenger seat.

Permits require fingerprinting and more thorough background checks than purchasing. You may want to check out gacarry.org (and join) for more complete information. They have a great FAQ which addresses a lot of questions.

3. zodiacbw

zodiacbw

Apr 3, 2008
    Buford, GA
    Welcome Jon!

+1 to what gwalchmai said about carry and background stuff

4. cmcinc

cmcinc

Jan 10, 2007
    Georgia
    georgiacarry.org is the best $15 you can spend for a membership.

5. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Dec 15, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Ok guys, thanks for the info. I'll check about joining that website soon. I'm going to Oakwood Lodge in the morning with 250 rounds, so should be a nice stress relieving day.:supergrin:

6. _JR_

_JR_ JR is the name

Dec 20, 2008
  7. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Mar 21, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Careful, though, most ranges are cold ranges, so you will have to unload it in the car if you carry it loaded.

It's what I do.

8. GooberTim

GooberTim

Jan 14, 2008
    Marietta, Ga.
  9. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    www.georgiapacking.org

www.georgiacarry.org <----Please join and keep up with current events.

Yes, you can have it in your glove box/console even without a license. Hopefully you havce a license within a couple of months, though.

10. SCC

SCC Member Me

Jun 10, 2007
    kennesaw GA.
    what range is that around here ? :whistling:

11. yrone

yrone re - member

Apr 23, 2002
    Gainesville, Ga