close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New member and G19 gen4 member :)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by NRobles22, Jul 21, 2011.

1. NRobles22

NRobles22

hi everyone im new to the site and new to the Gun world..I been doin research and talking to a few friends bout guns and Glocks trying to get a feel for the gun world..so i decided to buy a Glock19 gen4 for my first gun..going to the range tomorrow im excited so just wondering any tips/advice, and comments please.. also i been reading bout ammo and was trying to figure out wat to get to shoot at the range i been hearing mix feelings about the different grains 115 124 n 147..any info

2. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Welcome to Glock Talk

Hmm now to answer your question because this is kinda tough. I prefer 124gr or 147gr normally 124gr and 147gr are both loaded hotter then the 115gr. The problem with the 124gr and 147gr is the price difference. Seems like on avarage 124gr ammo is 2-3dollars more a box when gotten locally and 147gr is 3-5 dollars more a box then 115gr.

The 147gr is my favorite to shoot thought nice strong impacts with less felt recoil. The 124gr will shot closer to a self defense round in my humble opinion. The 115gr rounds normal tend to be loaded on the low end of the spectrum depending on brand which makes them my least favorite. When I shoot something I like to know its going to have some energy behind it.

Now since this is your first outing best advice someone can give is get different weights and brands and try them and see what your gun likes and does not like.

Please remember Its not uncommon to have recoil spring issues in a Gen4 9mm gun so keep that in mind. Also its not uncommon now days to have ejection issues in any 9mm Glock Gen3 or Gen4. Any issues pop up don't hesitate to ask for help we have lots of great people on here.

I think that's about it Hope it goes 100% for ya and I am sure I speak for most when we say we would like a range report on how it goes.

3. NRobles22

NRobles22

thanks for the first comment great response. i think i will go ahead and by different brands n grains so i can test them out. i did go buy 115gr federal champions fmj.. but that seems about right get different brands n grains n see what my glock likes better.. i heard/read there was a issue with the recoil spring on the 4gens if it had a 03 on it and the 04 is the newer spring? should i clean n oil my glock before heading to the range or should i just go and after the range session clean it up

4. HotRoderX

Pretty sure the 04 is the newest spring out seems like there is a new spring ever few months. As far as cleaning and lubing it goes there are millions of opinions on that. I have only ever cleaned and lubed one gun before it was fired for the first time and that was my 1911. I cleaned and lubed it before shooting it because it was coated in packing grease since it was a RIA from the Philippines.

If you do decide to lube and clean your Glock leave the copper goo on it.

5. NRobles22

NRobles22

ok yes i heard to leave the copper goo on it..i think i will leave it as it and clean n lube it after the session..

6. HotRoderX

One of the nice things about the Glock is its like a AK-47 little abuse is not gonna hurt it, I kinda wonder if the Glock likes the abuse :tongueout:

7. Aceman

Aceman

New to guns - Welcome!

#1 LEARN THE RULES: EVERY gun is loaded, NEVER point the muzzle at anything you do not intend to shoot, FINGER off the trigger until it is time to shoot, etc...It is not as easy as you think. Handle the gun on your couch (UNLOADED!!!) and pretend anyone on tv is in the room. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to point at them.

#2 LEARN to use it BEFORE you go to the range. Practice loading, unloading, putting the safety - never mind, Glock! See #1 twice!!!!!

#3 Learn the basics - grip, sighting, breathing, trigger squeeze. Do these SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY for a while. Basics are tough to build, and crappy technique is hard to get rid of.

#4 Practice Practice Practice!!!!!! To get competent for Self/Home defense takes 1000's of rounds, not hundreds or tens. It's a skill, and has to be learned over time and practice and maintained.

#5 Use whatever ammo is cheapest - more practice is more practice. All the ammo will be more accurate than you are for a long time. For SD/HD, I like 124 +p JHP. Shoot at least 100 rounds of any chosen SD ammo through the gun to make sure it works flawlessly.

#6 Get some snap caps and practice loading and jam drills at home - Tap/rack/bang.

#7 Clean it after every shoot. A bore snake and a shot of Breakfree will go very far to keeping it happy and healthy. Learn to take it down and put it back together. Did I mention read the manual? At home - BEFORE you shoot!

When in doubt - ask someone, preferably the range officer. Better to not make a mistake than be embarrased. Not much more embarrassment than being in jail because you were afraid to ask a question.

At the range, watch the other shooters. Pay attention to who hits the target and who doesn't. Then you'll know who to ask questions of. Watch all of the guys who are just blowing round after round and hitting all over the paper. Watch the peple who shoot two or three times fast and put them all right near the middle. And watch out for people who goof rule #1!!!!

Enjoy, and be safe!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. NRobles22

NRobles22

lol really i've heard so much about how good glocks are n how much abuse they take lol

9. NRobles22

NRobles22

Man seems like theres GREAT responses on every thread, very interesting.. thanks for the feedback/advice it helps as im new to guns. but i kno safety first, i read the manual and i broke the gun down and put it back a few times i feel good/comfortable holding it.. im sure il be nervous tomorrow but practice is the key and im not scared to ask if i dont know or if im confused about something i have ALOT to learn so every input is GREAT.. Thank you

10. bac1023

bac1023

11. NRobles22

NRobles22

12. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

147gr HST is probably the best jhp on the market right now.

13. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

+1. Being that you are new to guns, safety is the most important thing. As Aceman said, ALWAYS treat every gun as if its loaded even if you know its not loaded. If someone hands you a gun, check and make sure its not loaded even if he/she says its unloaded.

Welcome to Glocktalk and the shooting sports, have fun! :supergrin: