close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New mag follower problem

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by bryan cc tx, Jan 4, 2013.

1. bryan cc tx

bryan cc tx

Aug 29, 2003
    Texas
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

I bought new steel Bulgarian 30 rd mags for my AK47. They can came cosmolined, so I degreased with Purple Power then rinsed with water 3 times. Broke down, cleaned and lubed.

When I loaded my last mag my follower would get stuck at the bottom and all my rounds would shake and I could pour the rounds out.

Disassembled, cleaned, inspected, lubed 3 times. No noticeable irregularities.

Same problem again each time.

Plastic followers.

Any ideas?

2. the monk

the monk

Jul 26, 2011
    Northern VA
    Are you lubing the inside of the mag?

Get a ruler or other long tool to push the follower up and down 20 to 40 times, disassemble and look to see if there is a wear point on the inside of the mag and also the follower.

3. adamg01

adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    va
    Did you get these from Amunitiontogo by chance? I have three and just through them in the safe.

4. bryan cc tx

bryan cc tx

Aug 29, 2003
    Texas
    Yes, I'm lubing inside of mag. Even greased the side of the follower to ease movement.

Follower with no spring moves freely to the top and bottom. With spring and floor plate no wear is noticed on grease on the follower.

Mags from CDNN, purchased Saturday after New town.

5. the monk

the monk

Jul 26, 2011
    Northern VA
    I personally don't like to use any lube on mags, other than maybe a drilube. Lube will only attract dirt and dust.

Its possible that that cosmoline has hardened inside which is causing the hangup. Anyone that has ever cleaned a mosin knows the stuff can turn into cement. If you think this may be the issue, you may just want to boil the mag housing for 10 - 15 min.

Only other thing I can think of is the springs are in backwards.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  6. bryan cc tx

bryan cc tx

Aug 29, 2003
    Texas
    Monk,

Thx for replies. I understand about oil attracting debris, but I'm fanatical about cleaning my equipment.

You should see how I clean and pack my camping equipment. My wife says if I could only take as much care with my dirty clothes...lol

I see no irregularities on mag housing, so Id be suprised about hard cosmoline, but I will boil and follow up.

What kind of dry lube do you use?

Again, thanks for your time.

Bryan

7. the monk

the monk

Jul 26, 2011
    Northern VA
    Remington Rem DriLube aerosol. Good stuff, leaves a Teflon coating after it evaporates. Great for 10/22s.

8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    are these circle 10 mags... I tossed all mine in the garbage can. Get some surplus steel mags and call it a day.

9. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    He's joking (about throwing them away) - I hope.

My first instict was also the orientation of the mag spring. Do you have any others that you can compare them to?

10. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I really did, I chunken them in the garbage can 1 day after I bought them.