Glock Talk banner

New M9 and glad to have a beretta again

5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Rusty Guns 
#1 ·
Just picked up a beretta M9 model yesterday and it brings back alot of memories of my times in the service. Great feel and quality.

#4 ·
Yep, they call to you. My local dealer had their 92FS models on sale three times last month and finally on the last day I went in and asked if they would do the same deal on the M9 that was sitting there. After some debate they gave in and I walked out with the M9.

Too big, too heavy, too long but it's a Beretta and they are sexy as hell. Shoots like a champ.

Enjoy it and thanks for your service!

#12 ·
I purchased an M9 back several years ago. I had the Idea of practicing with it to get better and qualify better with my 92 at work. it took a little while, and I did get better but I still don't like the platform. I don't like the two stage trigger.
Yes a new one is pretty, and the ones we had at work were well maintained.
They were no longer pretty, but they did what they were designed to do very well. Because of the safety features designed into the pistol we had very few
ND's Personally I would have preferred to carry a Glock, But I am not sure the people involved would have been able to carry a Glock without having more ND's than we had.

#17 ·
Well several years back I picked up a Beretta 96, and played with it for a while, and traded it off. The other day I picked up a 92SF for a good price. It appeared to be in very good condition.
At the range I put it through it's paces, and it did very good, till I went to put it on safe with a round in place. it went to safe but the hammer did not de-cock. The firing pin was disconnected, but the hammer stayed cocked.
I have been advised by two different people that 92s built in the last 5-10 years had a problem with the de-cocker breaking off. One of them told me that he had the part, and would give it to me if I wanted it.
I'm starting to think that I'll just buy the part, but not put it in till I get ready to sell or trade it. It does not bother me as far as a safety issue. It will not fire because the firing pin is dis-connected. I can just pull the trigger, or let the hammer down by hand. That way if I replace the part it might break before I'm ready to sell it. It should last a few years, and the new one might be better.

#20 ·
Yes, you have a broken hammer release lever. It is an issue that has been reported quite a few times with the Beretta 92FS/M9. You can find a bunch of information if you do a google search for "Beretta 92FS broken hammer release lever" and there are some videos on youtube.

The hammer release lever is a $6 part at CDNN. It is not that hard to replace. If you have not detail stripped the 92FS go to youtube and find "childofjuly"'s channel. He has some excellent videos on assembly and disassembly of the 92FS.

#19 ·
I came late to the Beretta Party. I now have several 92FS models and recently purchased an M9. I have been a SIG fanboi for a long time but I am thinking that I like the M9 over the 226. The M9 is a hefty firearm and I find the weight comforting. It is good for an affair but my first love is the Glock 17.

#22 ·
No, you don't need to completely strip the frame. But you will need to drive out a small pin (hammer release lever pin) that secures not only the hammer release lever but also the firing pin block lever. The hammer release lever pin also partially secures the ejector. The pertinent parts on the Brownell's schematic are 31, 33, and 64:

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Beretta-/M92-M96-INOX-sid954.aspx

Childofjuly does not show this disassembly and reassembly but briefly demonstrates the parts in this video:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL-LCQk3BIE

This thread has some photos taken by a fellow who had to replace his hammer release lever:

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php/topic/7471-beretta-92fs-decocker-fix/

#23 ·
Congrats!!

I have had my 92FS since 1992. Runs great.

The only parts I have swapped out, was the D spring and the rear sight. (new adjustable sight).

:cool:

#24 ·
My Glock 19 replaced my "almost retired" 92 (momma shoots it).
I bought mine in 87(?), and it has a two-digit serial number. We have shot thousands of rounds through her and never had a problem.
Wife and I both carried M9's during our military days and are comfortable with it.

#25 ·
I carried a 92FS at work for almost 10 years. Carried the same pistol the whole time and never had any problem with it. I just never liked the Double/Single Trigger. I like the feel of it in my hand, and shot very good scores with it, as long as I concentrated on the first shot. Other than that it was a fine pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.