close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New M&P 15 Questions

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by HotRoderX, Nov 8, 2012.

1. HotRoderX

HotRoderX
    Expand Collapse
    Gen4 BETATester

Been a while since I last posted but today I got a M&P 15 Sport. I was wondering if anyone knows a good guide on how to clean and lube it? Also just any general info for a first time AR/Rifle Owner. I have owned a few 22 rifles but never anything like the AR.

Whats yall's opinion on the M&P 15 Sport I was looking for a good entry level AR-15 that would not break the bank. I did shoot a few rounds thought it early today (around 10) seems solid.

Thanks for all the help.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

The Sport seems to be a great rifle, I do not own one but had a flawless M&P15. I use Mpro7 down my bore and run a bore snake through it. I pull the BCG group apart and either soak it in seafoam or odorless mineral spirits for a couple hours then use compressed air/wipe it off. If it is not that dirty I hit it with Mpro7, then hit it with compressed air/wipe it off.

I lube the bolt with 50/50 Mobil 1 10-30 and ATF. I use a light film of grease on the 4 BCG rails or sometimes I use Mobil1 20W-50 Vtwin on the rails, it works really well. Every few range trips I blow the fire control group out with compressed air and hit with a short blast of aerosol Remoil.

#2 bmoore, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. HotRoderX

HotRoderX
    Expand Collapse
    Gen4 BETATester

Thanks guys for the help. I gotta go thought and read the AR15 sight ... I cant wait to get it to the range. I only got to shoot 10 rounds thought it but that trigger feels so sweet. I am really excited.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Just remember 95% of the crap on that Other Site is just that, crap.

Remove the bolt carrier group. Wipe it down with CLP or lube of your choice. Doesn't need to be dripping. Get some on the bolt head and cam pin. Insert, work charging handle 3-4 times. Apply 2-3 drops through the holes in the side of the bolt seen through the ejection port. Charge 3 times.

You're done.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Like most things these days: youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwK3j615734"]AR-15 Cleaning - YouTube[/ame]

6. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

My sister wanted an AR15 of her own for recreation only. We ended up getting her a M&P Sport.

Its reliable and accurate. It likes to be run wet. Some CLP on a boresnake and a couple of drops in the witness holes to lube the BCG every few hundred rounds will keep it running for a long time.

She only comes in town about twice a year and thats the only time it gets a very thorough cleaning.

7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

This, but ease the bolt back a bit before trying the bit in bold. You want to be able to see the stainless steel gas rings through the 2 witness holes before dribbling some lube in there.

For lube, buy a bottle of SLIP 2k and don't look back.

8. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney
    Expand Collapse
    Instructor #298

On all matters AR function, reliability, and maintenance related, Plank is the go to guy. For cooking advice....

9. HotRoderX

HotRoderX
    Expand Collapse
    Gen4 BETATester

Thanks guys for all the advice and help. I cant wait to get it out to the range to see how it does. What I have read the Sport Models are really good rifles.

10. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Congrats, the Sport is a solid rifle.

Minimum cleaning is wiping the bolt carrier group down with a rag and then cover it in CLP or whatever gun oil and wipe off the excess. That will keep the gun running, remember oil/lube is much more critical than cleaning.

11. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

I own a S&W M&P Sport and its a great rifle. Its accurate, reliable and of good quality. Its just as good as my Colt LE6920. If not better.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

13. blastfact

blastfact
    Expand Collapse

Just clean and lube it up.