close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Life for 870 Marine Magnum

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by G21Since17, Apr 30, 2009.

1. G21Since17

G21Since17

Apr 19, 2009
    I have an 870 Marine Magnum I picked up about 5-6 years ago and haven't done anything with really. I feel like remedying that situation. I was looking into it and was thinking of picking up the following:

Marine Top Folding Stock with Pistol Grip

http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=50&page=1&id=43
    [​IMG]

Shotshell Holder

http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=50&page=1&id=59
    [​IMG]

Pistol Grip Forend

http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=50&page=1&id=57
    [​IMG]

Flashlight Mount

http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=50&page=1&id=86
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any experience with these products or the company? Pros/Cons?

But the more important question I want to ask is, are there any gun laws I need to be concerned about with this type of setup?

2. akgunnut

akgunnut

Feb 17, 2007
    Alaska
    Unless you live in a place that restricts the use of folding stocks, shell holders, and tactical lights, I don't see the problem in putting them on your shotgun. I am personally not a fan of pistol grip forearms on pump shotguns, but that is just me. The good thing about having options for the 870 is you can do what you like, but the reality is, they're fine straight out of the box. The only thing I have done to my 870 is the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. I had a side saddle but took it off after realizing it through the balance of the gun off.

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your 870 Marine Magnum if and when you dress it up a bit.

3. G21Since17

G21Since17

Apr 19, 2009
    If it turns out nice and tight, pictures will be guaranteed.:supergrin:

4. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    No love here for the pistol grip folded mode. Probably won't love the stock un folded, and won't love the pistol grip only shooting either.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    I've never been a fan of anything from ATI.

6. G21Since17

G21Since17

Apr 19, 2009
    I'm glad I have waited for some feedback - but any other suggestions then for my 870 MM? I just don't like the as-is setup, and I would like something more compact and manageable. It is obviously not a hunting gun, and is going to be meant for more close-range use... in essence, a tactical shotgun.

So... ideas?

7. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland

I've posted this several times.
    [​IMG]

This is the shotgun that I bought and set-up for my oldest daughter, when she bought her first home.
    It's an 870 Express in 12 ga.
    I took the wood furniture off of it and bought an 18-1/2" barrel, then, ordered a Knoxx SpecOps stock and synthetic forend.
    I've since added the "PowerPak" to the buttstock and a Wilson's +2 magazine extension.
    With the Knoxx at it's minimum LOP, it fits her perfectly!
    Plus, it has a Limbsaver pad on it, too.

I did not put a sidesaddle on this shotgun, because the longer forend helps my daughter manipulate the action.
    (Besides, with the magazine full, plus extra rounds in the "PowerPak", she's gonna be just fine.):supergrin:

The only other change to this scattergun is the safety. I removed the "J" safety and put in a standard safety.

This shotgun shoots very well. My daughter loves it.

8. cj5mrt

cj5mrt

Dec 26, 2005
    Central FL
    X2. Had an ATI stock break from a short drop.

And +100 on the Knoxx. It is one of the best purchases I have made. I have a +2 extension on mine too.

Mike

9. G21Since17

G21Since17

Apr 19, 2009
    I can see not being happy with ATI, and that people are happy with Knoxx - but I still actually want a top-folding stock with a pistol grip. It would be nice to have the extra 5 rounds to, but I really don't care much about the forward grip or the flashlight grip.

I am mainly after that top-folding pistol grip stock - know any other good ones? I can't find any... especially not ones that are also made for marine resistance.

P.S. - I know that the lack of rubber on a folding stock would knock the hell out of me - but I can deal with it.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  10. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

Jun 20, 2001
    Florida
    No personal experience with the ATI stocks, but I've read several times of the shotshell holder mounted on the stock (as pictured at top) breaking off under recoil.

Also, the length of pull (LOP) on the top folders is usually longer than necessary (side folders, too). This is why so many folks are going to the Knoxx/M-4 style stock, youth stock, or other reduced LOP stock.

11. G21Since17

G21Since17

Apr 19, 2009
    The only Knoxx products I see that come close to what I am looking for are these

BreachersGrip Shotgun Stock

[​IMG]

or

SpecOps Folder Shotgun Stock

[​IMG]

And they might be better quality than ATI, but if it is not what I am looking for than I don't know what the point of getting it is. The BreachersGrip by itself looks pointless... it would be better off as a lone pistol grip with sling on the bottom. The Blackhawk folding stock looks uncomfortable and ugly. I am looking for something where I can fire it without a stock... pistol grip only. And the side folding stocks look as though they are for transport only... not to mention once again, ugly and uncomfortable.

12. Sounds like you made up your mind already...get the ATI stock.

13. amblackm

amblackm

Jun 25, 2004
    Colorado
    +1, spend some extra cash and get high quality accessories from Mesa Tactical, Wilson Combat, Vang Comp, Hogue, and/or Knoxx (among others). Try to stay away from Tac Star and ATI.

Andrew

14. G21Since17

G21Since17

Apr 19, 2009
  15. G21Since17

G21Since17

Apr 19, 2009
  16. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
  17. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    If you must get a pistol grip/folding stock, I'd suggest getting an old surplus Remington folder off of BrokeGunner. It's the setup that came with the 870's back in the 90's - steel and some unbreakable polymer. Clunky and ugly by some accounts, but damn stout and works well if you need to stash it somewhere tight.

18. G21Since17

G21Since17

Apr 19, 2009
    Reading reviews of the Knoxx... what is this guy talking about?:

<ctd.ic>Could get you killed</ctd.ic>
    Reviewer: <ctd.ic>Joe From California</ctd.ic>
    [​IMG]
    12/1/2008

So I attach the stock to my 870 And about 20 rounds in the stock stayed in the locked back position instead of resetting forward. When that happens the trigger cannot be pulled until the stock resets forward. I consulted the manual and was told to apply grease along the seams of the recoil buffer. I did and the stock has worked since. However I have no peace of mind, if the stocks recoil buffer fails to reset after a shot, the shotgun becomes a club. I can't trust my life with this product.

19. The recoil reduction comes from the receiver moving back into the stock via the springs. If something happens to the springs well your SOL.

20. That is a decent pistol grip...I would look into the Speedfeed birdshead grip or the Pachmayr Vindicator which is similar to a revolvers grip.