close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Lens for Rebel XT

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by TimP, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Jan 17, 2003
    NC
    Hey folks,

First post in this room.

I just bought a XT recently and of course it came with the 18-55 kit lens, and I bought a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III for it as well. I took it to the rocky mountain 3 gun match and got some great picture. The only only problem is the 70mm low end makes it a lil tough to get close to the target, if you will.

I know the 18-55 kit lens isnt the best, so I was looking to upgrade to something in the same range, but a bit better. Price under $300 if that is do-able.

My kid brother has just been invited to attend the Army Marksmanship Unit, junior shooting camp and I am in charge of taking him and taking tons of pictures. I would rather have something better than the 18-55 that came with the camera.

What would you guys get?

thanks
    Tim

2. Glkster19

Glkster19

May 12, 2001
    Lansing, MI

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    If you don't mind zooming with your legs, 50mm f/1.8 is very inexpensive and certainly a lot better that the kit lens. On XT it's the equivalent of ~80mm, a nearly perfect portrait length.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Zooming with your legs also teaches you a lot. I wish I had went with the 50 instead of the kit lens at first.