close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Kimber CPD pisses me off

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by jayp, Dec 26, 2010.

1. jayp

jayp

Aug 27, 2006
    My Kimber CDP is a fantastic pistol-light, reliable, accurate. However, I would never buy another one, nor would I recommend anyone else buy one. You see, there is the Kimber "secret." The secret is that, if you do not field strip the pistol EXACTLY (and I mean exactly) the way that is describred, it is impossible to get the pistol apart, or back together. Even if you do follow the directions to the letter, it is extremely difficult. There are many smiths out there that will make you a fine 1911, that you can easilly field strip. Kimber evidently cannot, or will not do that.

2. Just curious, but what exactly is the difficult part of field stripping this model? I had a Pro Carry that required a paper clip, but it was not a complicated disassembly and I only did it to clean and oil the pistol. The disassembly for mine was very similar to any of the full length guide rod pistols I have had experience with.

3. jayp

jayp

Aug 27, 2006
    It's not that difficult. When you buy a new gun, you look at the manual, say"ok' and field strip it. if you do that with the Kimber, you're screwed. Because if you don't take it apart EXACTLY like they say, you have an extremely hard time getting it back together.

I admit I should have carefully read the manual, but i have field stripped literally hundreds of guns, so I thought i would have no problem. I of course looked at the manual when things got FUBAR, but by then it was too late. It took me hours to get it back together. I had to ask my wife for help.:crying:

I would rather have a 1911 that I could just field strip. Even if you know what you are doing, it takes longer to field strip a Kimber than some other 1911.

I admit that I am not Einstein , but you shouldn't have to be to field strip your pistol.

4. jayp

jayp

Aug 27, 2006
    yes (I tried to just reply yes, but the computer told me "message too short":tongueout:

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Are you referring to the bull barrel? :dunno:

I find it fairly easy to strip, to be honest.

6. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Had zero problems taking my Pro Carry 2 apart for cleaning. :dunno:

7. RLB

RLB

Nov 11, 2007
    I have a compact that is very easy to field strip.
    I prefer field stripping it to other 1911's.
    Good luck

8. I wonder how you'll feel after a long enough time and many disassemblies?

I marvel at the "improvements" that are made to the 1911 format that really are not necessary and in my opinion begin to stray away from the original design.
    I like the basic 1911 that can be taken apart without any tools or special items such as this piece that Kimber gives for this gun.
    The more you modernize a 1911, the more difficulties you create.
    I think it was a perfect design and still is as long as the individual parts are of good quality.
    I'll stick with a basic Mil-Spec.
    I may not put rounds in a 1 1/2" group but I don't really need to do that.

9. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    My Springfield Champion requires a clip that snaps around the guide rod to take it down. I wish now that I had followed my initial inclination and bought a Colt Commander for a couple of hundred more. Bushing and GI spring setup for me from now on, no more weird design experiments for me.

10. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Sep 4, 2006
    I suspect the original poster is talking about the guiderod. The CDP is no different to take apart than any other 1911, save for the guiderod, and that's easily solved with a bent paperclip.

11. gconan

gconan

May 1, 2000
    Hang in there! A couple of more times and it will become very easy. We all have a little trouble at first. then after a couple of times you can do it in your sleep.

12. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    Stop with the Kimber hate!! You are making me all warm & fuzzy!!!
    I'll never own another one. I had six of them and had trouble with the one I wanted to carry. Shot the others very little, which is probably a good thing. Who knows what kind of trouble I would have had with them!!!

Kimber CS is NON-Existent. A waste of time in a handgun!

I will carry a Glock or HK, but NEVER a Kimber!!!!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  13. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel Beretta 92 Nut!

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    See, I prefer bull barrel setups, personally..

14. matt c

matt c

Jul 26, 2010
    Palm Harbor Fl.
  15. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    My Kimbers have been spot on. Weird.
    OP: Sorry to hear about your trouble, I hope you get the issue resolved.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  16. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio