close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Jersey Coyotes

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BierGut, Jan 5, 2011.

1. BierGut

BierGut

Jun 4, 2010
    It's winter and I'm bored... I think I'd like to try Coyote hunting here in NJ. Some of my neighbors are having some issues with them with regard to their sheep herds so it seems like a good time as their numbers a growing fast.

I have never hunted Coyote. I am restricted to shotgun in NJ. (I do own a .243 Win and really wish I could use it on my lot of about 8 acres -- effing NJ :steamed: )

I would like people's suggestions on how to hunt these predators and wondered if there was anyone out there who's hunted them in the great state of NJ.

(Type of calls -- Ammo -- Techniques, etc...)

TIA

2. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Are they regulated in the Garden State?

If not get a call, bring them inside 50 yards and slug them with some Sabot slugs.

3. BierGut

BierGut

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.

No, there is a permit season.

What suggestions might you make for a call? Are the electronic ones superior?

4. John43

John43

Sep 9, 2010
    Murrells Inlet SC
    I was walking through Bass Pro one day and saw a video,( electronic caller I think)and they were getting quite a few with it. You might check them out.

5. ctaggart

ctaggart

Dec 4, 2007
    An electronic caller and some "bait" should work. I would set myself up on a fence line around an area that the sheep are at. You can use a stuffed animal, pelt, cat toy, whatever, for the bait.

Some ammo companies manufacture hevi shot for yotes. It's denser than lead and "they" say it will hold a tight pattern out to 70 yards. This will depend on your shotgun and choke.

6. NHmike

NHmike

Aug 17, 2010
    Don't waste your time with bait. One, it might be illegal.

7. ctaggart

ctaggart

Dec 4, 2007
    Bait = decoy. Not food. And it's not wasting time. It works.

8. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

Jan 29, 2004
    Quagmire, Louisiana
    And if they're looking at the decoy while coming in, instead of you, that's a good thing.

9. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

Sep 7, 1999
    Columbia, SC
    Best ammo to use in a shotgun would be 3 inch shells loaded with 1 7/8 or 2 ounces of copper plated bb's, that will give you a max range of about 60 yards.