close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new hunting rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by shaggy255, Mar 7, 2003.

1. shaggy255

shaggy255
    Expand Collapse

alredy have a rem 270 and feel it may be to much for under 100 yards. any suggestions on something else ( maybe just a excuse to get another gun )

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. shaggy255

shaggy255
    Expand Collapse

i will be hunting deer in MO

3. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

Under 100 yards?

Get a Marlin 45-70. Fun, Fun, Fun, and you won't believe how deadly.

4. mpol777

mpol777
    Expand Collapse
    Feral Member

i don't think you'll be over powering with a .270. but, if you "need" a new gun a .243, or any other 6mm, would be a good add on. anything over 85gr will drop anything but the biggest bucks like right now. my uncle has been using one pushing 95gr bullets and to my knowledge has never had to chase one yet.

5. hoagie55

hoagie55
    Expand Collapse

A .243 or 6mm would be a fine addition and so would a 45-70, I've heard they are a lot of fun to shoot.

6. smeet5150

smeet5150
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Son

a .223 would work with a good load, and you can find plinking ammo cheap as hell.

7. Pat S

Pat S
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

270's hard to beat for deer at any reasonable range. If you're looking for a short-range gun you might want to look at a lever action .30-30. Light recoil, fun to shoot, inexpensive to buy, and very effective on deer-sized game. Good used ones that will increase in value over time are also still readily available.

Pat

8. jamieray

jamieray
    Expand Collapse

9. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy
    Expand Collapse

C'mon whats wrong with you guys? And on Glocktalk for heavens sake! He's lookin for a gun that will work well out to about 100yds and no one mentioned the G20?;T

Seriously you might want to consider handgun hunting. It's a blast! I've been using my 10mm's for about 4 years now and never had so much fun. It's a great challenge and sounds like just the ticket for what you are looking for. Take the .270 but strap on a 20 as well. If one comes in within your comfortable range blast 'em.
    ;8 ;I

10. Rebeldon

Rebeldon
    Expand Collapse

Marlin 1894 PG .44 Rem Mag. Also very deadly! But it holds up to 10 .44 mag cartridges, and is perfect for home defense too. It also shoot .44 Special (better suited for home defense) with higher capicity.

[​IMG]

11. g21glock

g21glock
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

My best friends dad and one of his buddies goes to Mo. every year, and his buddy takes an m-1 carbine, killed one with it every year for longer than Ive been alive. He swears by it.
    You could have a hunting/SHTF/fun range gun all in one. I love my m-1 carbine, though I use my Weatherby Accumark for hunting detail.

Safe shooting

12. Cheezwarrior

Cheezwarrior
    Expand Collapse

As has already been suggested, lever actions are great guns for shorter range hunting. I wish that I never got rid of my 30-30. They also tend to be smaller and better suited for areas with heavy cover.

I am going to start handgun hunting as well. I already bring my G22 with me whenever I go just for S&G, but am looking for something bigger for hunting. There's just something about pistols that I like.:cool:

Good luck with your search and happy hunting!

13. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777
    Expand Collapse
    Team 9mmx19

Kar98 Mauser in 7.92x57mm:)

14. glockster96

glockster96
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

The only problem with a .223 is that it is illegal for deer in certain jurisdictions (like KS).

.243 is a very good choice.

15. MarksGlock22

MarksGlock22
    Expand Collapse
    The Punisher

.45-70.That would be fun for under 100 yards.;f

16. JHill

JHill
    Expand Collapse

I would look at the Rem. Model 7 in possibly the 7mm08 rnd.
    Light, fast, flat, and hard hitting.

I have on in .308 and it's the cat's meow.

17. Marty_G19

Marty_G19
    Expand Collapse

Definetly look into the 7mm-08 round. Light guns, with low recoil, and plenty of knockdown power. I'd definitely choose the 7mm-08 over the .243. Many deer every year are wounded with this caliber. It is barely adequate, please choose something else.

My son and I lost a small buck last fall shot with his .243, would have been his first deer. The 95grain ballistic tip round we were using apparently exploded on the surface and did not penetrate. It was a 20 yard broadside shot, from a sitting position with the aid of a bi-pod!! I know he did NOT miss. Although it could have been simply a bullet choice problem, if I were doing it over again I'd go for the 7mm-08. We are NOT using ballistic tips for deer again ever.

Good Luck!!

18. Conrad

Conrad
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

You have a lot of choices, The Modle seven would be nice and the are a bunch to choose from. If it were me, I would go with either a handgun for shot shots ( I really want a G20, or I woupld get a 44) or a Marlin guide gun in 45-70. Could also get a lever action in 44 and a revolver to go with it.

19. paynter2

paynter2
    Expand Collapse
    It ain't over
    Millennium Member

He missed - maybe hit a twig and deflected, but he did not hit the deer. The bullit did not 'explode' on impact.

I've shot dozens of bucks with a 6mm Rem - very similar to a .243 winchester. I've used 85 gr. hollow points and 100 gr. power points. I've never had a deer run more the 10 yards - with a fatal shot.

I don't remember ever loosing a buck with my 6mm. They have a little less energy than the 7mm-08. The .243 case is the same as a 7mm-08 - as the .308. Your son missed the shot.

I once watched my brother shoot at a buck with his 30-06 at about the same distance as your son. The buck ran just as your son's. My brother swore he hit the deer. But, we found no blood or hair. We did find a small willow stalk that had been hit by the bullit. My brother missed just as your son missed.

I've shot deer with a .270, .280, .284, .308, 30-06, 32Win Special, .243, and 6mm Rem. I use my 6mm Rem now exclusively. The bullit never exits the deer - it uses up 100% of its energy on the beast. I've shot 4 deer with it that weighed over 200# dressed. One of them went over 220#. I popped him in the lungs - he ran about 4 yards and dropped dead. .243/6mm is plenty for deer.

20. lomfs24

lomfs24
    Expand Collapse

Since we are on Glock Talk I feel obligated to mention the G20 as well. I recently converted my G22 to a .357 sig. That round makes that little gun come to life. Enough with the silly talk. LOL No offense. I have gone handgun hunting alot.
    No one seems to want to shoot anything smaller than a 6mm (243 etc...) And only a couple of people have mentioned a .223. Along with that you could also mention 220 Swift, 22-250 and all of them are smaller close range shells that will reach out to a couple hundred yards if need be. Not a lot of wasted meat either.
    I have even gone one step farther. For the past 5 years I have shot a .17 Remingtion. Yup. I have never had a deer take a step from where he was shot and obviously have never lost one either. It is only a 25 grain hollow point shell but it is traveling 4100 fps at the muzzle (give or take). There is about as much recoil as a .22LR so you can litterally do surgery out to about 350 yards. It shoots flat as a table top to about that range, very little arch. At about 350 yards it runs out of steam and falls flat on it's face. It's a great close range deer gun.