close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Guy in Florida

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by srk, Dec 24, 2012.

1. srk

srk

Dec 20, 2012
    Florida
    Purchased my first Glock...Glock 19 Gen 4...and will be picking it up right after Christmas. Would have it now, but wait for telephone background check was exceeding 45 minutes. As I was in no hurry, opted to come back at later time.
    Couple of questions:
    - Best ammo for use on the range. Both my wife and I will be shooting the weapon.
    - Best ammo for self-protection.
    - Best cleaning kit for the gun. I know it comes with some cleaning equipment, but is there particular cleaning/oil brands and specific pieces of cleaning equipment.
    - And a range case. Saw a range bag at BassPro that seemed pretty nice for ~ $40.

Also thinking about a laser for the weapon. Saw a video where a guy installed a Lasermax Guiderod Laser. Looked nice, but it appeared to entail some 'gun smith' skills. Suggestions?

Looking forward to learning more about the Glock 19 and some 'lessons learned'.

2. RPVG

RPVG

Oct 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    One man's opinion: Any ball ammo that's the same load as your carry ammo.

I wouldn't touch that one for anything!
    Everyone has their favorites. They all work pretty much the same.
    FWIW, I have a LaserLyte rear sight laser. All the different types have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Oh, there's a lot to be learned here. Lotsa knowledgeable, helpful folks. Welcome!

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  4. Hej Hej

Hej Hej

Dec 2, 2012
    Chesterfield, MO.
    Sounds like a good choice........keep us posted how it goes with the G19........

5. jph02

jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Michigan
    :welcome:

I agree with RPVG on all his answers to your question. I'd add that any name brand ammo should be good to go. There are a number of articles out there concerning self-defense ammo. This one comes up first on a google search and seems to be pretty thorough.

6. The Fed

The Fed

Dec 23, 2012
    Central Florida
    Welcome from Central Florida. I like Winchester Silvertips for SD. I use them in my .380 and will use them in the Glock 26 I'm buying soon. You can get 115-grain in 9MM. I believe you will find the recoil to be lighter but still an effective round for SD. Pricey though - about $100 for two boxes shipped from CTD. I don't think you'll find them locally.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Feb 8, 2009
    JAX, FL
    Welcome from Jacksonville. What part of Florida are you in?