close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Guy, First Gun!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by wchaza67, Aug 8, 2012.

1. wchaza67

wchaza67

Aug 6, 2012
    Hello all, I'm Chaz. Retired from the US Air Force 5 years ago. Never owned a gun of my own because I didn't feel like dealing with the hassles of moving around the globe, from base to base & country to country with one.

Now I finally retired, own a home on 5 acres in rural Virginia outside of DC, I got a Glock 23 for my 25th Wedding Anniversary... sad thing is that there are only a couple of ranges nearby which are quite costly...

SO! I'll be asking a lot of questions about concealed carry, home shooting ranges(made out of stacks of dirt-filled tires?), gun care, gun accessories, NRA, etc.

I don't foresee myself as becoming sportshooter or hunter, but do intend to become fairly proficient with my weapon & want my wife to own her own gun as well, and become proficient, so I'd like to start with a practice range in my yard... there is much for me to discuss and read about in these threads.

I look forward to learning from you all!
    -Chaz

2. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    Welcome. And thank you for your service.:wavey:

Get yourself the Glock disassemble tool. These are my favorite cleaning vids.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc&feature=plcp"]Glock Cleaning Basics - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VTIqAMPOco&feature=plcp"]Glock Cleaning 2 (Slide Disassembly) - YouTube[/ame]

3. JerryVO

JerryVO

Oct 22, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Be careful... there like potato chips... you can't just have one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

4. Glock40man

Glock40man

Feb 1, 2011
    The Midwest
    Welcome to GT and, thank you for your service!

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    Welcome to the group. Nice to have new people that believe in self protection.

6. DaBurna

DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    Good Luck.. Congrats on your new Glock!!

7. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    Welcome to GT! The 23 was my first Glock as well. But, as may happen to you, I got the bug and now I have 4 of them. Thanks for your service and congratulations on your retirement and status as a "country gentleman" ;)

8. brokenprism

brokenprism

Feb 27, 2011
    Oregon
    I don't think you're missing anything Chaz. You have land of your own, which is perfect. The only things you'll 'miss' by not going to a range are these questionable benefits: your actions being controlled by the rangemaster; the inability (in some places) to set your own target distance; and the 'pleasure' of being surrounded by dozens of strangers with guns. You have a shooting partner, full control of your activities, and as much safety as you're capable of. Win win. Welcome.