New Gun Store Inventory Questions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ADRIANOsoprano, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hey all, my dad's planning on opening up a gun store. He wants to start with a pretty small inventory at first. He's planning on having about 10-15 pistols and 20-30 rifles/shotguns on hand. What are some good brands and models of guns that are good sellers that my dad should initially have in stock. I want him to have a good start because this has been a dream he's had for a while and finally took the plunge to start it. Any help is appreciated. Feel free to add any tips you have on running your own gun store. Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 ADRIANOsoprano, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. Im not really sure what sells the best but I would say:
    Glock 19, Glock 26, Glock 23, and really most any models
    Sig P226, P229, P239
    Springfield xdm
    Smith and wesson 686, 642, 442, 360, M&P series
    Ruger GP100, Sp101, LCR, Blackhawk
    HK P30, HK45, P2000

Those are some that I could think of. As far as rifles/shotguns I would say:
    Smith and wesson AR's
    Remington 870, 700
    Mossberg 500
    Colt AR's 6920 and others
    Bushmaster
    Hunting rifles and shotguns too

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

Throw a couple of Taurus or Rossi revolvers into the mix too, people love those things for some reason. Also don't neglect .22s, say a Sig 1911 type, a couple of flavors of Ruger .22 pistols, a 10/22, and maybe a Buckmark or Neos. Beretta 92FS and Px4s are pretty popular too.

4. Have a good consignment program.

5. Don't sell what Walmart sells. That way you aren't competing with them on price.

6. The usual suspects in the 499.99 and up range (Glocks, XD's), but don't neglect the "I need one reliable gun that is economical" crowd, which has no interest in the best or latest and greatest. They are the 299.99-350.00 guns. However if they can go to an Academy and outprice you on a Sigma, pick another model. Don't forget good service and accessories make money too.

#6 Minnow, Feb 25, 2012
  7. Good service will go the farthest. Have a wide variety of ammo and always offer to be more then happy to order anything that anyone needs.

8. The small local gun store manager said the ATI 92C ($400) is his best seller. I bought three.
    [​IMG]

9. I would stock the most popular guns and ammo and also maybe a few different "maybe not as popular" guns (you never know :) )When you do get phone calls on certain things, take notes and remember what is in demand.

Also, where do you live? What do you hunt there? What guns are popular in your area? What does the terrain look like? Does the area have any "high end" buyers? Is there any gun clubs in the area (stock up on the right ammo / supplies,etc.). Do you do any FFL transfers? And please please please advertise. Also, be very fair on your prices and be knowledgeable and courteous.

Now I'm not an expert by any means but that is what I would want in a gun shop.

#9 JLA, Feb 25, 2012
  10. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

You are really making me want to get one of these to try out! Bad for my budget, potentially good for my soul!! :wavey:

11. Stevekozak

To OP, I think having a good stock of used firearms is going to be important to getting a small operation such as this off the ground. Easier to compete on price point with used firearms, I would think. Some new firearms will be had, of course, but I suspect the used inventory is how he will get off the ground. He will be able (I assume) to order new firearms for customers that prefer.

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

GLOCK pistols
    SIGARMs pistols
    Smith & Wesson M&P series ARs & pistols
    Mossberg 930 series shotguns
    Colt ARs

Ammo should be sold at cost, to get customers through the door.

#12 M&P15T, Feb 25, 2012
  13. Ya I agree with the above post. If I had a shop I would want my customers to come for all their buying needs, including accessories, ammo, lights etc. If possible try to find a nice price point that shows the customer your here to make money but not rip them off, most will respect that and come back.

14. $299 at cdnn

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

15. Stevekozak

Thanks! I will take a look.

16. What you wish to stock and what the distributors will sell you may be two different things, especially when it comes to pricing.

#16 Bruce M, Feb 25, 2012
  17. Most of the gun stores around here carry very little stock.

9mm, .40 and .45
    Glocks and XDs for the main crowd.
    S&W pistols for a difference
    Ruger and Taurus to expand it out.
    .22 Rugers and Walthers.

Those guns are the popular stock for everyone. It helps to have a few different to get the gun byers (us) to impulse buy. Also separates yourself from everyone else even if ?it sits there because you have a selection. If a store just carries Glock and XD, I won't stop.

How big is CCW in your area? That's counting for a lot of sales around here lately.

18. ^ If you take this advice, plan on keeping them pistols a lot longer than you want. I do agree to get all of these guns, but if your just starting off....... I would suggest:

The most common type of buyer is going to be someone that just wants to protect themselves. You cant ask them to drop $500.00. You need a variety of quality pistols that people can afford.

Not every gun owner has money. Diversify the inventory.

Currently run my pops store and I guarantee you can sell the hell out of 642's, Ruger LC9's, some LCP's, TCP's, Kel Tec P3at's, Some $300-$400 .45's.

You CAN find some good priced guns out there that a lot of people can afford.

19. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Hi-Point, Taurus and Ruger if your Dad wants to move inventory.
    While the "gun people" on forums will say Glock, Colt, S&W, Sig etc, the majority of goobers who walk through your door will want the cheapest gun they can buy.

#19 NMGlocker, Feb 25, 2012
  20. Get some military surplus stuff.