close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gun Owner in FL

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by hellraiza_goat, Aug 29, 2007.

1. hellraiza_goat

hellraiza_goat

Jul 11, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I just bought a Glock 22 from a cop friend, is it still a requirement to register the gun with the state? I called the Miami Dade Police Department the day i bought it, and i was told it was not necessary. I clearly told them it was bought from a private owner not a store, but they said it still was not needed anymore. They told me to keep the notarized bill of sale and thats all i need.

Does this sound correct?? I could have sworn they needed to at least do a background check and put the gun in my name...

2. najaboy

najaboy

Mar 18, 2002
    Melbourne, FL
    There is no such thing as gun registration in FL. As a matter of fact, registration is explicitly outlawed in this state. Reference FS 790.335.

3. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

Sep 15, 2004
    Gator Nation
    You don't even need that. If it's in your posession (and isn't stolen), it's yours. It's just a gun, not plutonium.

4. big88foot

big88foot Millennium Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Pensacola, Fl
    The popular media make it appear that having an "unregistered gun" is a serious crime. But registration isn't required in most places. I've told several newcomers to Florida that we don't register our guns here, and most look at me like I must be crazy. Oh well...
    BF

5. rich52us

rich52us

Mar 28, 2006
    WPB, FL
  6. hellraiza_goat

hellraiza_goat

Jul 11, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Thats what i was talking about. I was under the impression it had to be done whenever someone purchased a gun, whether new or used. Thanks for the replies everyone, i appreciate the help!:thumbsup: