close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New GTI or ?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by berniew, Feb 12, 2006.

1. berniew

berniew Liberty

Nov 3, 2002
    MN
    Looking at buying another vehicle right now. If you were looking at a car like the GTi (price and general spec) would you buy it or something else?

Under $25 new

I want decent handling and acceleration

Automatic

Hatch is preferred

2. OUSooner

OUSooner

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    That looks like an awesome car! I just read my new issue of car and driver and the Gti beat the new Honda Civic Si in a head to head comparo.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I saw that test as well. The GTI looks great. However, I don't think I'd pass up Honda's proven longevity and reliability. Although its been a while since I have owned a Volkswagen, my experiences are that reliability is nowhere near Honda's.

4. berniew

berniew Liberty

Nov 3, 2002
    MN
    No automagic or hatch in a new si...

5. berniew

berniew Liberty

Nov 3, 2002
    MN
  6. spoonhatchcrap

spoonhatchcrap

Dec 29, 2005
    nc
    200 hp is actually pretty pathetic considering the displacement plus boost.

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    Well the torque isn't.

The 1.8T and 2.0T engines are designed for minimal turbo lag, so the turbo isn't very big. It just makes the 4 banger feel like a 6 in a straight line, but handle and get gas milage like a 4.

WIth a little cash they can make some pretty impressive power, at least the 1.8 can. The 2.0T has a pretty high compression ratio for a turbo enigne. The only fix for that is new pistons and that isn't very cheap or easy.

8. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Jan 11, 2005
    in the garage
    @ least a VW block will take boost;)

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I like a good old manuel shift. Every car I have owned had one.

10. spoonhatchcrap

spoonhatchcrap

Dec 29, 2005
    nc

honda b series blocks can handle more than enough boost for a nasty street car. only extreme aplications will require a resleeve of the block. the real problem lies in the tuning of air/fuel ratios and timing. and some people just arent very good at this.

on a side note european cars are considerably more expensive and dont offer as much bang for the buck in stock form. dont take this as my way of saying they are not capable cars. but the gamut of modifications for these cars are effective yet rather expensive compared to domestic and japanese sport compacts. im a honda guy myself and as much as i hate to say it, the srt-4 is by far the best bang for the buck in the new car segment today.

11. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Jan 11, 2005
    in the garage
    anyhow, I don't know if he has any intentions on modifying the engine on a new car w/warranty. I'd still go with the VW. They look great,IMO, drive very nice, and have some cool features. Plus the resale is quite good. Have you test driven one yet?

12. Nelybarg

Nelybarg NC Glocker 30

Jul 14, 2002
    NC
    this might push your 25K budget..

http://www.subaru.com/shop/model_consideration.jsp?model=IMPREZA

I had a 2002 WRX wagon that rocked. only reason i got rid of it was the wife hated it and it was kinda small for the family car. boy i miss that car. mine was an auto because thats all i could find. while i prefer a manual, this one wasnt bad.

plus side on the subie, its AWD. depending on your location, that might make a big difference in the winter.

13. berniew

berniew Liberty

Nov 3, 2002
    MN
  14. berniew

berniew Liberty

Nov 3, 2002
    MN
    MN

I saw something about this but didn't realize a wagon was available...

hmmmmm

15. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    Given what VW has become in the quality department, I'd never buy one. It's too bad as they are fun cars to drive.

16. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    I test drove a TT with DSG. Granted it was a typical 4 dealer test drive, but I can't say I was impressed. But then again I despise automatics, and would never buy one.

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    +1

18. berniew

berniew Liberty

Nov 3, 2002
    MN
    I have DSG in my Beetle TDI, and I test drove the GTI with DSG. They didn't seem the same to me. I like driving MT but I don't lose any sleep if I can't.

PS I tell the car salesman to hold on....

19. berniew

berniew Liberty

Nov 3, 2002
    MN
    So what would you recommend in hatch or wagon in that price range?