close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Glock owner, possibly need to rethink what I end up with. Long post..

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Phases, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Phases

Phases

Jan 17, 2013
    Tennessee
    Update: Done! See this post.

Update 2: Screw it, got the G20 back. So now 27, 30, 20. :p

=====Dang, no spoiler BBcode? Original post below=======

Ok, so I've posted an intro thread that will hopefully show up after moderator approval - which kinda gives a backdrop to this, but let me sum up.

I just bought a G20, my first Glock, and first handgun in two years. I went in with Home protection in mind - but had limited options and being how I'm the "I want it now and I want the baddest thing I can get" type guy - I bought the G20, THEN spent a couple days researching my concerns.

I know I know, fail on my part. I talked to the shop that sold it to me and they will help me sort through whatever I want to do so, anyway. Let me explain.

First let me say, I've read A LOT on here in the past few days. My brain is mush. I know there are really no general consensuses on either of the things I'm about to ask. Much is subjective, relative, all that good stuff.

So all I'm asking for are, well the same things I've seen a few theads on already, and read every post on - but would like to hopefully read some stuff geared toward me, even if it is the same.

I have kids, and a wife. I got this originally with home defense in mind. It would appear that, at least to some, the G20 is geared more for bears and boars than a couple guys coming in my back door. Do I mind overkill? Well no, I'm happy to be able to stop whatever I need to stop.

Am I concerned about this "over-penetration" debate? Well I was, quite a bit. Then I read a lot here, and the "missing is the bigger concern, and the bullet loses tons of strength for second hit" argument DID sooth things for me. I'd be lying if I said it still wasn't in the back of my mind, but I'm not extra concerned like I was when I first joined here this morning.

I joined with that issue in mind, but took a while to get approved, and much has happened since.

So, with that in mind, question #1 was, and I read on this too and I think have my answer but, what would everyone suggest a good round would be for this purpose? Obviously there is no holy grail or there wouldn't be options, with rounds or guns, but what do you all think? I would like a round that doesn't travel much after it would pass out the back of someone...typically/probably/likely. As in, barely make it to the wall if anything - yet still have enough power to drop someone when hit anywhere in the torso.

If no such thing exists, is there still a better option than what I got? Horandy 180gr XTP

(Rounds for this are pricey!)

That was my original concern. Well, then I got to thinking about CCW and you know, I think I decided I'm going to at least some times exercise that right once I get this permit in few weeks. I have an inside the belt holster coming.

But, it's HUGE. I went in today, he let me try his, and supposedly I'm getting a "better" one, at least one meant for the 20, and it felt alright. It was less obvious than when I just tried sticking it down my belt. But, unless this thing comes in and it's just miraculous, it's probably way to big for that, for me.

I don't want anyone to know. I would prefer my teen never finds out.

Anyone here carry a model that huge aruond my build.. 6", 190 or so lbs. regular build, bit of a gut. Is it absolutely impossible to not be obvious about it?

So, to this point, I've now started looking at the 27 and 30.

I also tried the G27 and G30 while I was there, in his CCW holster. The only other two options. And, they felt way better. Of course.

I've been researching G27 vs G30 all day. Crazily enough I'm now hoping I can get the support to just .. buy one and keep the G20 for camping trips or fun shooting, or... I may even one day try hunting. I've said I want to at least once. Plus, it would be great when I go out of town to leave her with something and take something a long.

Not sure that's going to happen though. So I'm faced with indecisiveness in the face of not even knowing what to research!

If I can purchase another, then I'd like opinions on G27 vs G30 for every day carry. I think, not sure, but I think the G27 is my choice since it is smaller, (big deal for me), and I can convert to 9mm, etc, and I wouldn't mind the round size since I have the G20 should I feel I need it.

But what of control and accuracy with that little guy? Many love the 30, but enough to have it bulge out more if I'm going for totally hidden?

If I can't purchase another, and she's only comfortable with one gun in the house (in the safe) well, I can respect that. But then I have a worse choice to make. Now I have to choose between the three and try to maximize my needs/wants.

- I'd like to carry, concealed. And be unnoticeable unless you're just looking for it. Not my style to have one of the outside the belt types. But realistically I just may never end up doing that. People we go out with or family or whatever may not be comfortable with it. But I'd like to.

- I'd like to stop whatever comes in the door. I'd like my wife to be able to stop whatever comes in the door. She is dainty. Not that it's hard to pull a trigger, it's ready to go in that safe.

- I'd like the range to be fun. I'd like to take down a polar bear if I ever head to the artic.

It feels like, just thinking about it, the 30 would be the best bet if I can only have one, what are the odds I'll run into a bear in my lifetime, but. anyway.

How do rounds cost for the 27/30 compared to the 20?

I know this is a bunch. And it's all.. well it's all just up to me really.. and I'm probably getting some eyeballs rolling at me but it's a big decision and I have a hard enough time buying ice cream. So, any and all input welcome. Also, I know me and I know me pretty well, I'm not patient enough to wait until I can fire them both to see how I feel about them. I will probably make a decision and buy then one day down the line trade out if I just hate what I got. Plus, if I hate it, the silver lining is the bottom line is home and personal defense and I'm fairly confident I don't care which one I get, it's going to do the job if I ever need it to.

p.s. I hated the Taurus cuz it took 8 billion pounds of pressure to pull the trigger.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks!

Edit: Ok, now we're settled - getting two. I think I will keep the 20 if we can find something she likes that I would carry for #2, otherwise, 20 might go back for a 30. Page four at this point..

Edit: Seriously considering 29 SF with conversion barrel if I want to shoot light, and G20 mags with grip extender if I want the 15 round option. Seems a good idea, but what's the drawbacks? http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19891793#post19891793

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. FNFAN

FNFAN

Apr 20, 2006
    My thoughts would be:

The 27 is going to have a smaller grip than the 30. May be much more comfy for the wife if she's petite. If you're looking for a 1 gun solution. The .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel gives you some options.

Speaking of the 1 gun thing. Please explain to your wife, they're firearms, not velociraptors that will breed and chase you through the house if you have a pair.

I'm unsure what the reference to your teen "not knowing" is. If he's mentally stable and of normal intelligence he should be shown how to use a firearm.

It appears you've done some research and are agonizing over the choices and I wish you the best of luck!

3. Phases

Phases

Jan 17, 2013
    Tennessee
    Thanks :) Long story with the teen. He's recently moved in and I'm afraid his mother will flip out and demand he goes back to the other side of the country.

I very much agree with you..

As for wife. You know.. two year old running around. Even in safes.. I can understand her concern.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    I have carried a G20 SF before and had no problems with a IWB from Don Hume leather products and one from Galco.
    It is hard to conceal for some but can be done.
    The Hornady ammo is good stuff but the G20 shines with reloads especially for hunting/range.
    Smaller handguns mean smaller grips and I can not handle a pistol any smaller than a good size compact (G19).
    Left the 40S&W/10mm because of hand problems but still like it. :supergrin:
    Any and all firearms should/must be secured from folks and children who should not be handling them.

5. wacopolumbo

wacopolumbo

Jul 19, 2003
    Yorktown, VA
    From what you've shared with us and being that the 20, 27 and 30 are your only options, I would go with the 30. Great gun for the range, with a 9rnd flush fit mag, it's great for carry. Of your 3 choices, it is the most versatile for your needs. Plus, you can use 13 rnd Glock 21 mags in it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

6. elijah58

elijah58

Feb 6, 2012
    Cassatt, SC
    I have the G20 and I carry it as my vehicle weapon and carry a G33 .357 sig for CCW. I use the Galco ankle holster, I love this holster over my other IWB holsters. So my weapon is completely concealed the entire time that I am carrying. Not sure if you know but the G27 .40, G26 9mm and G33 .357sig, are all the same size and very easy to conceal. I have no way of concealing a weapon of that size on my person without it being seen. By the way, I am exactly same build, 6' 190lbs. On one last thing that I can say about this is the 27, 26 And 33 are known as the "baby Glocks" but don't let that fool you. These are still very deadly weapons, whether being used for home defense or CCW. If it were me I would keep the 10 and then buy another one for CCW, my personal preference is the G33, mostly because of the ballistics of this round over the other two. As far as the children, keep it in the safe when not used and keep the safe locked. Our children need to know everything they can about a gun while they are still young, they need to have respect for weapons of any type, and that can only come through you. As they will learn to respect everything that you have respect for.
    Hope this helps,

Eli

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    You're really not going to go wrong with any of your choices. I have fairly big hands, and yet the G26 (sub compact, same as G27) feels great for me AND, importantly, is very accurate for me. The G30 is known for its accuracy. I carry that one OWB with untucked shirt. (my G26 is my choice for IWB).

If you're not needing to tuck your shirt in, it is very easy to keep any of your options concealed. A trained pro might notice, but nobody else.

A decent holster and decent belt will do the trick.

8. mhmills

mhmills

Aug 15, 2007
    Kansas
    The g29 in 10mm is the same size as the g30 and will accept the longer mags of the g20. Then you would only have to purchase one caliber.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. First let's get the accuracy stuff out if the way. There is no accuracy difference between them that anything but a mechanical rest would ever be able to tell, and even then it is slight and any particular Glock might be more accurate than another Glock, without the model mattering much.

My guess is your wife will like a 26 or a 19 the best. You will like a 26 or 27 for concealed carry better. Thus a 26 would be the one to fit both your needs. Then just use the 20 when you go polar bear hunting.

If she already shoots handguns well and you think recoil is no issue for her, then get the 27 instead of the 26, because I already know you want more power :)

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    For some/most of us the best way to get better with a handgun is to shoot it and/or take classes which involves... shooting it. Based on that 9mm has some slight advantage over the other calibers based on ammunition costs. Some here, more than a few, report shooting the Glock 26 better than the bigger 9mm Glocks.

11. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Bonafide User

Jan 4, 2013
    SE GA
    Or get the 27 and a 9mm conversion barrel. That's what I'm doing for my wife, it will be her gun. I got the 29sf for myself.

12. wacopolumbo

wacopolumbo

Jul 19, 2003
    Yorktown, VA
    Both 40 and 45ACP will be cheaper than the 10MM, so you're good to go there.

13. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Aug 3, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Well, if you want one gun, to not overpenetrate, and for your dainty wife to shoot... then a G20 in 10mm is NOT it. I would even say that a 27 or 30 is NOT it.

My wife is small... she is 5'1" and weighs about 105. She does not have the wrist strength that I do. She can not shoot any of my Glocks without getting stovepipes due to limpwristing. If you had to get a Glock for your wife to also be able to shoot, then I would say a 17. It is larger, less recoil, lighter recoil spring than anything you have mentioned which means she can cycle the slide. My wife does not have the hand grip or wrist strength to cycle the slide manually on my 19. A 17 she can get by with, but her short fingers have a hard time with the long Glock trigger pull.

But... what does she keep in her bedside drawer? A Beretta 92fs with an 18-shot MecGar Optimum magazine for 18+1 capacity. She can shoot the CRAP out of that pistol, even with the larger gripdiameter. She thumbs the hammer back for first shot, or uses 2 fingers for the double action pull. Plus the Beretta is loss tolerant to limpwristing. It plain WORKS for her. As much as I love Glocks, they dont work for my DAINTY wife. I have had several friends looking for home protection guns for their wives. After hearing my story, having ntheir wives shoot the different guns, both of their wives picked the 92fs.

Just my thoughts... Sorry GLock Guys... before you flame me, remember, a gun that doesnt work for the intended purpose is useless. She is comfotable and shoots that gun well and she feels safe with it.

14. Phases

Phases

Jan 17, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hey guys, thanks for all the great replies. I should have been more clear I think about the wife. She will probably never fire whatever I get but maybe once or twice at the range so she'll actually know what it feels like. Then, never again unless she needs to. Which will hopefully be never, surely not more than once.

If more than once, I bet the once would convince her to get her own. ;)

...so a 'good gun belt.' Is this just, a really thick belt that can hold the weight and tension of you pulling out the gun, or is there more to it? I have a couple super serious belts but they're certainly not marketed as gun belts.

As mentioned, I go back and forth a lot, but I think at the moment I've decided if I keep the 10, I'll get a 27. If I can't, I'll go 30.

But that could change by the time I'm done reading any replies on my intro thread. ;)

15. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

The 10mm isn't geared for bears and such, it's a service cartridge, not a big bore revolver. It will have a slight edge over the .40 or .45, but nothing drastic. Over penetration is a concern with just about any cartridge, not just the 10mm. All Glocks will easily punch hole through somebody and keep on going, depending on ammo. If you're looking to limit the likelihood, get a lighter weight bullet like a 135gr or 155gr, and your best option there is Underwoods ammo. Even with the 135gr, I've heard from people who have shot deer with it in both the .40 and 10mm and the bullet almost completely penetrate the deer.

The G27 is going to conceal the easiest since it's the smallest. I also feel the .40 is more efficient from a shorter barrel than the .45 is. You can drop in a factory G33 barrel and shoot 357 Sig in it, or a conversion barrel (aftermarket) and shoot 9mm from it.

You can also buy a .40 S&W and/or a 357 Sig barrel (aftermarket) for your G20 10mm, they drop in and use your existing G20 magazines and lets you shoot the G20 for less, the 10mm isn't exactly popular or abundant.

The .40 and .45 both have a much broader range of ammo options than the 10mm for sure. If you don't already have a .45, I'd suggest a G27 .40, that way if you do get a .40 barrel for your G20, you can share ammo.

16. I prefer the G19.. (may be the reason I own 3 of them)
    as far as home safety... you have to be the judge of who
    knows about your pistol.. better be safe than sorry. .. i grew up with guns in my dad's house... he taught us from a VERY early age about guns... i knew well to NEVER handle a weapon without my dad supervising..
    good luck on your decisions..

17. wacopolumbo

wacopolumbo

Jul 19, 2003
    Yorktown, VA
    My wife is a Beretta fan too. She has a 92FS for the bedside and a 92FS Compact for the purse. She also has a PX4 compact and a Nano but keeps going back to the 92s. It's interesting to know she's not the only one.

Beretta makes a fine weapon. I've got a 92G and 92G Compact Type M. I love 'em, but they rarely see the light of day.

18. sugarcreek

sugarcreek familyman

Feb 27, 2007
    ...in the neighborhood.
    I have a 30SF and a 26. Both carried IWB. The 26 is a bit smaller, and lighter, both carrying 10 rounds. Either are concealable. Weight loaded and a smaller gun are considerations.

I hope you can shoot both, and see which one you like. Good luck.

19. Phases

Phases

Jan 17, 2013
    Tennessee
    Just a few various halfway decent looking ranges in my area, and looked at inventory online when I could. None have the 27 OR 30 for rent. I'm a little surprised.