close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NEW Glock Owner here...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mattyrides07, Sep 16, 2011.

1. mattyrides07

mattyrides07

...First, I'd like to apologize b/c I'm sure the questions I have have been answered on here. I belong on a couple different off road forums and I can get annoyed by some newbies asking questions and not using the SEARCH buttton... so again, I apologize in advance.

I have tried searching and there's just SOOOOO much info on this site I truly am lost. I'm hoping a single post will help me and fellow 23 newbies...

A little about me:

I'm a US ARMY paratrooper out of Ft. Richardson, AK. I bought a Ruger Alaskan .44MAG for a bear gun a couple years ago. I FINALLY shot it this summer and realized this was NOT a gun for home protection (it'll go through the intruder and SEVERAL walls after him). After telling this to my wife, she gave me the "go ahead" to get a smaller gun when we found one on sell. Last Saturday a local store had the 23 on sale for $499 OTD, so we snatched her up! Immediately I took her out and fired a couple hundred rounds through her. Here is where I need some help-

1. I'm not trying to "blow smoke up your ass", but I'm a pretty good shot (qual'd expert on all weapons thus far). On the 25 Yard target I'm hitting 95% in black (a couple got away from me I was firing "rapidly"). I'm happy with my groupings but EVERYTHING is being pulled to the left. Is this me, or do I need my sights adjusted? And how do I change my rear sight?

2. I had an ejection problem towards the very end of shooting through my rounds. I was shooting slower (bringing my sight to center mass and slowly squeezing trigger) at the time. The casing got caught somehow to keep it inside the upper assembly. When the slide closed the new round pushed the casing inside the barrel. I'm going to go shooting again this weekend and hope that this doesn't happen again. Is this something that is to be expected from a new gun/ glock??? (PS- I fixed it no problem- dropped the mag, cleared the action and pulled out the casing with Gerber)

3. I've been told both dry firing is BAD for the gun, and I've also heard it doesn't matter. Being that I have a little OCD I check my weapon daily to make sure it's in AMBER status (mag loaded, but NO round in chamber). I then dry fire the weapon each time before I put the mag back in. This leads me to the next question-

4. When storing my weapon- how should it be stored amber or red (the weapon is NOT accessible to an children or dumb adults)? Is there any damage that will happen to my gun storing either way?

5. How often to I need to rotate the rounds in my mags?

6. How often should I lube my G23? I'm guessing put some CLP on it before/after shooting?

7. Any tips for mods:
    - a rail mounted light thats NOT going to break the bank?
    - glow in the dark sights?
    - ways to make grip tips larger/ backing smaller?

Thanks for those who take the time and help. CHEERS :supergrin:

2. LSglock89

LSglock89

I dry fire the hell out of my glock...that's how you field strip it. The more seasoned guys will chime in for the rest of your questions. I have a 23 and love it.

3. bac1023

bac1023

4. red devil

red devil Ambassador 01

Hello welcome! It sounds like you are enjoying your pistol.

#1 - Hard to say... The trigger on the Glock may take some time getting used to. Practice dry firing at home.

#2 - You could try a new recoil spring.

#3 - Dry firing is OK it won't hurt it. Glocks are very resilient.

#4 - This is a personal decision. I keep my pistols loaded with a round in the chamber. (condition 2)

#5 - I don't.... however I did a little research and found this article and it seems to have some good advice. http://I Am A Spammer. Please Report Me./7YWX1h

#6 - Glocks require very little lubrication if any. If you lubricate it too much you can cause some problems. Follow the directions in the manual on lubrication. The frequency can vary upon geographical location. You can pretty much run these guns without oiling them.

#7 - Mods that I like are: Extended slide release, night sights, 2.5 lb connector

Have fun

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. Ken_In_Colo

Ken_In_Colo

(I assume you are right-handed) If your rounds are falling to the left (& down a little), at the 7:00 position, you are probably shooting too fast and jerking the trigger.

Learn and use the wonderful reset point and go slower till you get used to the gun.

I use Breakfree CLP too but not too much.

Welcome to the forum.

6. mattyrides07

mattyrides07

GREAT! Thanks on the feedback already gents!

7. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X

Congrats.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

To answer two of your questions, dry firing is fine. I've dry fired my two Glocks so many times it's ridiculous. It won't hurt them. Second, I keep one in the chamber 24/7, and I recommend that anyone else does, too. If you can handle a gun, and it seems you can, you should have no problem not shooting yourself.

9. guns54

guns54 toni

Welcome to GT.

10. Radian

Radian

Hey and Welcome. These things really are the AK of the handgun world. I bought my first 11 years ago and beat the crap out of them in competitive shooting. Other than shooting cast lead through the stock barrel there is not much you can do to actually hurt them.

1) Trigger takes time, most new glock owners shoot low left. Dry fire it a few hundred times and give it another few trips. There is a sight pusher tool most good gunshops have. You can make "emergency" adjustments with other tools but use the site pusher tool if you can. I cheat mine right a bit.

2) Any stoppage is a problem. Casing direction (on you hat, shoulder) is NOT a point I care much about on a combat handgun. If casings hit you in the face there are tunes you can make. Did you strip out all that copper "grease"?

I do not accept any stoppages from a glock. If it continues post what brand of ammo you are using. They CAN happen more with a new gun with stiff springs but after a few rounds , should go away. You can manually cycle the slide a few hundred times to soften the recoil spring if you like.

3) You can dry fire a glock to your hearts content. I use dummy rounds as a physical protocol for safety, so I dont blow a hole in my house. Take any ammo I may have in a magazine(s) out and place them in a bag. I do not carry any ammo in the room I am dry firing in. I don't multi-task this, I know several really smart experienced shooters who have blown holes in their stuff during practice.

4) Your call. You can not damage the weapon.

5) Your call, from the mag pov its a non event. I like to cycle out SD ammo no more than every two years or so. I dont like to unchamber and chamber the same round 200 times so I rotate through the stack when I carry to the range. If you do beat up one round throw it out or use it at the range.

6) As needed. TW25 holds up well and makes for easy cleaning. It coats surfaces then wipes down neatly. Anywhere metal touches i put a little bit of this. Anywhere residue accumulates I put a thin coating. You can see if you overdue it, you don't need to run a glock wet.

7) all personal calls. I swap out two parts on all glocks i own. trigger return spring to a slightly heavier part and striker spring to a slightly lighter part.

This makes the trigger more to my liking, a tad bit lighter. Never had a problem from doing this.

good luck

11. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Welcome, congrats on the G23, and thank you for your service!
    Often it's caused by the upper portion of your trigger finger rubbing against the frame just behind the trigger guard area, at least it's a common thing with Glocks. It could also be caused by what part of your trigger finger is on the trigger.

What ammo were you shooting? It's pretty rare to hear of failure to eject with a .40 Glock. It can be caused by weak ammo, but it's much more likely caused by a "tight" extractor. The newest Glock extractors can have widely varying specs and it's much more common to get one that's oversized or doesn't move freely enough. You could try a brand new extractor, if that one doesn't work properly you could polish it, and if that doesn't work properly you could try a LoneWolf Distributors .40 extractor. If you need any info on how to replace the extractor, just ask.
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=155981&CAT=136
    I'd first try shooting hotter ammo, like American Eagle or Speer Lawman. If it stills fails to eject with either of those brands, the problem has to be the extractor.
    Dry firing to field strip is not going to hurt anything. But if you dry fire repeatedly for trigger pull practice, it's best to use a "snap cap" dummy round that has a spring-loaded fake primer to cushion the impact of the firing pin so it doesn't slam into the breech face over and over.
    The only problem you may see is if there's excess oil in the chamber or on the breech face, that oil may seep into the cartridge and deactivate the powder and/or the primer. As long as you wipe away the excess oil from those two areas before reassembling the weapon, that shouldn't be a problem.
    In the magazines, probably not for years. But if you chamber the same round over and over, bullet setback can occur. The bullet is pushed rearward in the casing by the action of chambering it. After enough chamberings, if you set that round down on a table next to one that's never been chambered, the chambered one will appear shorter than the unchambered one. When you can see that difference with your naked eye, the shorter one should be set aside and never fired. If your local firing range has a metal box for disposing of "misfire rounds" you can put that round in that box to dispose of it. The bullet being seated further rearward in the case causes higher pressure than is safe.
    Glock recommends to clean and relubricate the weapon once a month and after each time it's fired.

Here's a Glock lubrication video by JamesYeager showing the lubrication points on a Glock, a small drop in each area is all that's needed, he actually uses too much in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  12. mattyrides07

mattyrides07

Thanks for all the responses! I'm keeping my weapon "red" (13+1). I like not having to worry about anything jamming with it staying like that.

I went to the range again this week (trip #2) and blew through about 300 rounds. I did have another "failure to eject" about halfway through. It seems to be doing this when I slowly pull the trigger back... I'm using American Eagle 180 grain ammo

I'm looking into getting the extended slide release. Any particular brand to go with? Ones to stay away from? How easy is it to install myself?

Also looking at replacing my rear plate with one that has a design on it:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/16066743470...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_1241wt_1165
    To do or not to do?

13. hddave

hddave i want more!

Welcome to GT, Shoot the hell out of that new G23, read the forums and you will be a seasoned Glocker in no time!

14. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

That shouldn't happen with American Eagle 180gr. Did you notice these markings on a good number of your spent casings?
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=89126
    http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=114838
    (it's a scrape/dent at the case mouth)

Is your G23 a Gen3 or a Gen4? If it's Gen4 it'll have "Gen4" stamped on the slide next to the "23" model number. If it's Gen3 it won't have that but it'll have finger grooves on the grip. If it's Gen2 it won't have finger grooves on the grip.

If it's Gen4 you can call Glock and have them install the new ejector which will fix a problem with erratic ejection that some recent production Glocks have. Stovepipes and erratic ejection can be caused by "limpwristing" where the shooter isn't holding the pistol firmly enough or by weak ammo, but recent production Glocks can have a problem which causes this no matter how hot the ammo is loaded or how firmly the pistol is held. If the gun is a Gen4, Glock will install the new ejector, if it's an earlier Generation, Glock will not install the new ejector.

If it's a Gen4 I'd call Glock and tell them that it's failing to eject and that you'd like them to install the new ejector. They'll want you to send it to them so they can install it, they usually offer a prepaid shipping label but if they don't you should ask for one.

Here are some pictures of the new Gen4 .40 ejector:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17999796&postcount=81

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  15. mattyrides07

mattyrides07

All the brass was ejecting fine and shooting high over to my right about 8-10 feet. The two times this happened though I did try to pull "softer" so it very easily could have been this "limp wristing"! In fact, I'd bet on it! I remember both time felt weird because I was pulling so slow/soft. Thanks for that info!

Oh, and it's a G23 III Gen... didn't know about the 4th until AFTER I bought it LOL

16. Locust

Locust

you should try checking out trijicon night sights. sorry, every one of your questions were already answered except this one.

17. high ground

high ground

Welcome to the cult. Go ahead and start saving for Glock number two. It won't be long.

Last edited: May 14, 2012