close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Glock...how to clean?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by oldmonastery, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    Every Glock I have ever owned was taken right out of the box after purchase and had at least 100 rounds run through it. I have never had an issue. The copper colored anti seize is more than enough lubrication for the pistol to be fired immediately. Just make sure the barrel is clear of any obstruction and have fun.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    This made my head hurt. Talk about an abortion of the English language.

3. fran m

fran m

Mar 7, 2005
    drexel hill pa

Oh, please enlighten us with the horror stories of the messed up slides that occurred when the guns were fired straight out of the box. Inquiring minds need to know.

4. This was covered along time ago on Glock Talk. The BEST way clean a Glock is put it in the dishwasher. Your welcome. :whistling:

This was a Joke. In case you are wondering....:supergrin:

5. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    My gun dealer, DB Coop of Cooper Guns, showed me a bucket of brake cleaner that he keeps under the workbench in his shop.
    He cleans Glocks by dunking them. It it not necessary to take them apart. (He says this only causes more problems)
    He then locks the slide back and dribbles a few drops of Mobile 1 motor oil into the gun.

Not once has a Glock ever been returned to his shop with a problem after he cleaned and oiled it.

DB is quite proud of the maintenance skills that he learned in the jungles of Korea when he was an Army Seal.

:thumbsup:

6. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc"]Glock Cleaning Basics - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    Your machinery will only take as good of care of you that you do it. The manual tells you a LITTLE, but there are tons of videos out there that you can stop and start when you're ready. Hickocks are some of the best. Do not open one sponsored by some magic gun cleaner. It's a sales pitch. There is probably no gun (and I used to say the same about a 1911) easier to completely strip. No better way to clean and lube it naked.

8. EA1911

EA1911

Mar 5, 2014

... ... ...:rofl:

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Read the manual and follow it. Lube very lightly where the manual states.

10. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    The manual is very vague about where to place the oil. There are many methods for cleaning Glocks and no specific one is better than the other. With Glocks, less is more. They do not need more than a total of 4 drops, ever. I have put my carry G19 through its paces as well where I cleaned it dry of ALL lubricant and ran 300 trouble free rounds through it. After disassembly and cleaning there was no damage done.

My supplies for cleaning are:

Mil-Comm MC25 (I like this cleaner as it has no lubricant in it and it water soluble. It is more of a mild degreaser and detergent than anything. Choice of cleaner is subjective and there really is no wrong choice.)

Royal Purple Synfilm (I like the weight of this lubricant and that it does not get absorbed into the porous metal as quickly as some others. Again, this choice is subjective and there really is no wrong product to use.)

A boresnake in whatever caliber the pistol is. (Patches and a cleaning rod will do just fine, but I prefer items I do not have to dispose of.)

A toothbrush, rag, and a couple q-tips.

My routine for cleaning is:

Field strip the pistol and spray everything down with Mil-Comm MC25. Use the toothbrush to scrub everything and then the rag to wipe everything dry.

Use one of the q-tips to get the cleaner out of all the places too small for the rag to get (around the trigger bar, inside the striker channel by the lug, and around the barrel lug).

Run the boresnake down the barrel a couple times.

Get a bit of oil on your finger and coat the outside of the barrel and inside the slide where the hood of the barrel contacts it. (After a box or so of ammo, this area should be apparent as there will be visible marks where this contact is made) Apply a small drop inside the barrel lug and allow it to spread out. At this point, I use what is still on the tip of the oil bottle and wipe it across the 4 metal slide rails on the frame. (This ends up being plenty of lubricant even though it doesn't sound like much) Apply a small drop to the area at the back of the frame where the trigger bar contacts the connector.

Reassemble the pistol and function check. Rack the slide a few times and wipe of any excess oil or detergent you missed.

This has worked for me for years with no issue and uses enough lubricant to slow wear while not making a mess when firing. This is not the right or wrong way, just what works for me. You will get different answers from everyone as far as what to use and how to use it. This happens to work for me. Find what works for you.