close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New GLOCK 30 SF Jamming Constantly. Help.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by striperbisher, Jun 12, 2011.

1. striperbisher

striperbisher .45/.357carrier

Jan 27, 2008
    I purchased a New Glock 30 SF and took it home, field stripped it and cleaned it as normal with Rem Oil. Took it to the range and shot Winchestor 230 Grain White box ball ammo and Remington UMC 230 Grain ball ammo. Every second or third shot it jams while trying to feed the ammo. The fired round is ejected fine. I took it back home and recleaned it and check for burrs or anything sticking and it seems to be fine. Once again back on the range it fails to feed on the second or third round fired. The store owner or manager were not present thus no gunsmith to look at it. The lady running the range said bring it back when they are here because she had never seen a Glock jam. I admit, this is my 8th Glock and only one I have ever had jam. Any help is appreciated.

2. I had similar problems on my new 30SF (FTF/FTRTB) and sent it back to Glock. They said it met spec; however, they did put in a new trigger housing mechanism. A few hundred rounds later, the problem seems fixed, but I need more rounds through it to be sure. This sounds like the out of spec frame rails/FTRTB issues continue to plague some guns.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

3. striperbisher

Jan 27, 2008
    I will have my Gunsmith check it and probably send it back to Glock. I have been reading a lot about the Glock 30 SF having a trigger bar transfer problem causing it to jam on feeding ammo. Thanks for the reply.

4. RexKramer

RexKramer

Jun 9, 2011
    This may be completely unrelated, but I had one round in a new 30SF 'jam', shooting Speer 200 GDs. Turns out my thumb had hit the slide stop lever, and the slide locked open.

Haven't had any other trouble, but I am very curious about slide issues in the 30SF, as you can imagine since I have one. Please keep us all posted how this turns out..

Wish I could run about 500 rounds of the Speer 200 GDs just to make sure I don't have an issue, but they're kinda pricey.

5. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Search for "Glock 30sf" or "G30sf" and one of these:
    FTRB
    FTRTB
    Failure To Return To Battery

You likely won't be pleased. Hope this works out for you cheaply.

6. Hoping its simple for you....leave your mags fully loaded until your next trip. Sounds like the springs could be a bit too stiff.

Most of the RTB issues are worked out. Describe the stoppage better, is the round stovepiping or is the slide 1/4" out of battery.

7. SSTRUCKNGUY

SSTRUCKNGUY Glock Addict

Dec 17, 2003
    Any chance you put it back together incorrectly?

8. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
  9. striperbisher

Jan 27, 2008
    It is put back together correctly and the slide is stopping 1/4" or more out of battery. The posts on FTRTB, Failure To Return To Battery by Cole, are exactly what it is doing. I appreciate the assistance. I will post again after getting it worked on by Glock.

10. striperbisher

Jan 27, 2008
    Here is a photo of my Glock in the FTRTB position. Thanks.

Attached Files:

11. iflyem1

iflyem1 Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Illinois
    I don't think Gen 4, G30's are out yet.

12. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    If it were a gen 4, then it wouldn't be a SF as there is no need for that with the gen 4 grip.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  13. kingclassic

kingclassic

May 18, 2007
    Minnesota
    What trigger bar does it have? Trigger bar # 4256-1- is the most recent and said to cure the problem although mine is # 4256-1 and has cycled fine.

14. Squeeze

Squeeze

Feb 3, 2011
    Up Nort'
    I took delivery of my new Glock 30SF, May 16th. It was a fresh batch
    from Glock, via Ed's Safety.

In the first 50 rounds I have one FTRTB, and one FTF. I suspected ammo
    issues, but since then have gone through 100 rounds of that ammo with
    no issues. I have also gone through about 400 rounds of other ammo
    with no issues. On the FTRTB, it was about 1/8" from lock up, and it
    was with in the first 25 rounds, so it may have just been just a tight
    new pistol. I believe the FTF was mag related now, so take the advice
    and load the mags up, and keep them loaded for a few weeks. Actually
    mine is running, and shooting, so well, it is on the CC option list.

FWIW, mine does have the new trigger bar, and I did upgrade the connector
    with a Glock 4.5 connector.

Good Luck getting yours running. If yours fits you like mine fits me, and
    shoots like mine shoots, it will be worth the effort to get it running well.

Squeeze

15. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    Does your G30SF have the 4256-1 trigger bar or the 4256-1-(extra dash at the end) trigger bar? In the following link you'll see one of Butch's pictures showing the location of the trigger bar number: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15647023&postcount=4

Glock standardized all G30,G30SF,G29, and G29SF models on the 4256-1- trigger bar to fix the FTRB problem. Even with the 4256-1- trigger bar some people still experience FTRB.

Basically what Glock did when they made the SF models, in order to keep as much parts commonality as possible, they raised the position of the trigger housing in the frame instead of making the trigger housing slimmer to accommodate the shorter backstrap.

When it came to the Gen4 models, Glock had learned from their mistake with the SF models and instead made the trigger housing slimmer front to back. They were able to do so by changing the angle at which the connector sits in the trigger housing by 5 degrees.

I'm interested to see once the .45ACP Gen4 models hit the market, if Glock will standardize on Gen4 .45ACP trigger housings for the SF models.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  16. CynicX

CynicX

Feb 25, 2008
    I had the same problem with my g32. I don't know if your problem has the same cause obviously but here is what I found.

The mags have metal interiors that you can see looking down on them. Slightly in front of that is plastic again where the round pops up. The plastic was interfering with the rise of the round. I trimmed that plastic back with a razor ever so slightly and know it feeds perfertly. Went from 5 or so jams per may to 0.

I was able to even test the results by slowly hand cycling the gun. It would jam constantly prior to the modification. Now I can cycle it at any speed without problem.

Don't know if this will help you but its at least worth a shot. If it cycles fine without the mod I would think tight recoil spring.

17. FURocious

FURocious

Jun 19, 2004
    IL
    G30SF 2008 model with 4256-1 trigger bar...100% reliable.

18. striperbisher

Jan 27, 2008
    I called Glock and they wanted to make sure it had # 4256-1- on the trigger bar because they have a known issue with the one that does not have the extra dash on the end. It does. They suggested I take it to my local dealer and change out the recoil spring. I did. Upon removal of the recoil spring and comparison to one of a normal Glock 30 (not sf), it was noted that the spring was slightly opened on the end. This is a known defect that Glock is handling or they say your local gunsmith can swap the spring with a new one and send them the old one for a replacement. Once the spring was replaced I shot 100 rounds with no more failures. BTW, there is no GEN 4 Glock30sf out yet. Glock and my local dealer gunsmith working together appear to have solved this issue. I am not an ad for Glock but I would like to say they gave me outstanding customer service and they were willing to send me a shipping label (cut my cost by 40.00$) to fix it and they do recognize there are some small issues with the Glock 30sf. Thank you for you help Glock talk members.:cool: