close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New glock 23 question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by reyloxdm40, Aug 5, 2012.

1. reyloxdm40

reyloxdm40

I am having difficulty with chambering the 13th round from the magazine. I can actually feel the slide slowing down... "catching" or "dragging" as it strips the cartridge from the magazine to chamber it using the slingshot method. It makes me hesitant to carry with 13 + 1 for fear of malfunction. I did shoot 200 rounds through the pistol but I had only loaded 12 rounds in the mags since that's all I though the mags held. Is this normal? Does it take time to break in the magazine springs? Am I being overly cautious by downloading one round? Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated...

2. cliffsta

cliffsta Who, me?

My Gen4 G22 has kinda the same issue. Its pretty hard to chamber the first round (or 15th if you will) when the pistol is cold and the slide is forward. Winchester 180gr bonded JHP rounds. If the slide is locked back and you pull it to release it, it grabs the round fine, and chambers it no problem. Don't really have this problem when I'm actually shooting my 180gr WWD FMJ. Kinda concerns me since I don't keep a round chambered normally. Is this normal?

3. CaneyCat

CaneyCat

It sounds like a magazine problem to me, but not 100% sure. I've never had any problems like this with my 23. Have you tried using different mags?

4. 4Rules

4Rules

5. normal.guy

normal.guy

if your g23 is new, try keeping the magazines loaded for a few days to break in the spring.

6. Cool Hand Hodge

Cool Hand Hodge Senior Member

does the gun jam...if not...no worries. If yes...let us know!

7. reyloxdm40

reyloxdm40

8. sourdough44

sourdough44

The simple solution is just to download one round.

9. cliffsta

cliffsta Who, me?

Ha. Wow. You are 100% correct. It is "hard" to strip that 15th round out of the top, but if the magazine only has 14, it works smooth as butter. DONE.

*heads to the bedroom to downgrade other two magazines*

10. MonsterB

MonsterB

Had the same issue, my gen4 23 was very hard to rack with a full mag, up until a couple shootings ago. I would say I have about 1500 rounds or so through it now. Its loosened up alot, for whatever reason. My guess is the new bump on the trigger bar is causing the extra friction/drag.

11. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It is normal. That 13th round, with new springs, places a lot of pressure on the stripper rail on the slide. Load 13+1 with confidence and go shooting.

12. Remington 870

Remington 870

Keep your mags loaded at all times and the springs will seat after awhile. I don't agree with down loading a mag that was designed to hold 13 rounds that sounds like a half ass approach to a problem.