Glock Talk banner

New Glock 19 4th Gen (Clean and Ammo) Question

Tags
glock 19
26K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  bunk22 
#1 ·
Hola,

First time posting, short time lurking. I just picked up my first handgun, Glock 19 4th generation, and I'm itching to get it out to the range.

I picked it up two days ago from a local FFL after purchasing using the GSSF discount from Ed's Public Safety. The entire process was incredibly painless with great service on both ends of the transaction.

I've read some threads on the subject, but I'm still a bit confused as to the following.

1. Should I clean the Glock before firing? I've heard conflicting posts as to whether or not it's needed, and then if done, what parts should be cleaned as opposed to being left with factory lubrication.

2. As it's a newer Gen 4, the spring (04) doesn't appear to have the same problems are the earlier production runs (03). Does it matter what grain/quality of ammo I use to break it in or can I go out and immediately use the cheap Wally-World ammo?

Or maybe I'm thinking too much about it and should just go out and break her in as is, with whatever ammo I can afford... lol

Keep up the great work, awesome forum.

KickABuck

See less See more
#3 ·
Read the manual and follow the instruction in the manual.

(Translation: Lightly clean and lube the pistol before firing the first time. Leave the copper colored paste inside the slide; it will wear off in time.)

After each range session clean and lube the pistol per the manual's instructions. Or not; it's you're decision.

My own thoughts are to always clean and lube a firearm after each range session --- at least until you're absolutely convinced the gun is broken in. If left to sit dirty make a mental note to clean and lube within a decent timeframe.

#4 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about cleaning it but I would give it a once over exam to make sure everything looks correct. If it does take it to the range and enjoy it.

Ammo can be tricky I would just buy some ammo and go shoot it. If it does give you any FTE FTF issues then grab a few 100 rounds of 124gr ammo that should help loosen up the spring nicely.

Also welcome to the Gen 4 Club.... Don't worry about the Gen 3 guys there gonna trash talk ya but its just cause there upset about our ultra cool modern adjustable back straps.... Hey not everyone can be in the cool club :tongueout:

by the way Welcome to Glock talk and the above recommendation is what I personally did I didn't lube my Glock. I been told they like a extremely light coat of oil on them.

#6 ·
Oh damn, whats the gold looking stuff. I didn't clean mine before I shot it new, but when I cleaned it the second time I think I scribed off all the gold stuff.

. I am pretty sure its anti seize. I think your OK I got about 500-1000 rounds thought my glock and it no longer has any of the gold stuff on it. I cant even remember the last time it had gold goo on it in fact. Just remember its a Glock militaries around the world use them sure they are torture tested

#8 ·
Ckeck your recoil spring assembly, if it has an 04 on the end that attaches to the barrel then any good quality 115 gr ammo should be fine. If not, break it in with 124 gr quality ammo for the first 300 rounds or so. Also, if you get a chance, get some Winchester NATO 124 gr FMJ ammo. There's a lot of it floating around lately at excellent prices.
Enjoy your first handgun, enjoy your first GLOCK, you couldn't have picked a better pistol than the G19 Gen4 to start with. One more thing... Read The Manual.

#10 ·
Thanks all for the information. I'm reading and re-reading the manual. Wife likes the Glock as well... with a 5 year old in the house, I'm in the need of a small bed side safe for security. Thinking I'll hit Cabelas this weekend.

3. If you kick a buck it would kick back :whistling:
KickABuck is from the movie Cool Hand Luke, one of my favorites. :embarassed:

#11 ·
. I am pretty sure its anti seize. I think your OK I got about 500-1000 rounds thought my glock and it no longer has any of the gold stuff on it. I cant even remember the last time it had gold goo on it in fact. Just remember its a Glock militaries around the world use them sure they are torture tested

wish i an put that gold goo back in it now

#12 ·
Ok..

Went over to a friends house to shoot this weekend.

100 rounds cheap MFS 2000 9mm I picked up from Cabela's on sale for $9.95 per 50 box. Glock 19 ate it up. I actually started out with this round just to see how it would feed, on target and rapid fire all good. No FTE

Then ran 20 rounds of Winchester Supreme Elite 124gr 9mm JHP +P, no problem with that of course.

The gun felt great in my hand, and wife loved it as well. I was a bit concerned as she does have weak wrists, but again, no FTE or FTF at all. All my shots were on target and great groupings.

I may go back and pick up some more of the MFS as it was cheap and worked to at least my satisfaction.

Anyway, just wanted to give you all an update. Still haven't cleaned it yet, but may do so after some plunking later this week.

KickABuck

#14 ·
I typically give a new gun a once over clean, make sure it is nominally lubed. FWIW the last two used Glocks I bought still had the copper lube on them. The G17 was hard to tell if it had ever been fired and the G26 had been fired some and had a little bubba sanding job on the grip under the trigger guard but it actually fits me well.

I figure if you lube it enough to have to wipe it off after a handful of hand cycles and then no more comes out I am OK. But I have been wrong before.

#16 ·
I'm a new member as well, have a handful of handguns. My first Glock was a recent purchase also. A gen4 G19 also. I absolutely love it! My advise is to clean your gun at a minimum of every other session or if you haven't used it in six months. I clean after every session. It will give you a better idea of your new gun and get you more familiar with it. Congrats on the handgun.

#19 · (Edited)
HellsBellsButch, Its a Glock!

Buy some boolits, shoot it, shoot it, then shoot it some more.

When you pass 1000 rounds, think about cleaning.

or

You can have the gun gold plated, shoot only platinum bullets and clean it after every shot with the finest champagne. But it will still be a Glock.

#20 ·
Well, after months of deliberation, trying to decide on which Glock model to purchase, I picked up a Gen4 G19 today .... :woohoo:

Never thought I'd say this .... but this is a beautiful pistol, and one way to have a piece of Austria. (since I can't afford to actually go there).
I also picked up a Galco summer comfort IWB holster, along with another box of Gold Dot 124 gr. +P .

"Life is good"

#22 ·
I break mine down for inspection but don't clean after I pick up. Actually went from the shop to the range for both. I clean after first use, just me. I now have over a 1000 rounds each in both my late model Gen 4 G17 & 19 without issue. Great guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.