Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

new glock 17 gen 4 owner form SO FLA

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by socialwork911, Aug 31, 2012.

1. socialwork911

Aug 22, 2012
    just picked up my 1st gun..using it for HD...I will read instructions..twice and scan forums...but what tips can you give me as a new owner....what break in ammo to shoot at the range...what HD ammo to use and when? any special cleaning tips? anything helps
  2. porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
    Welcome to the club

I use FMJ ammo at the range, with a decent Winchester HP for home defense

Cleaning? Right after I get home from the range.

3. jph02

Jun 10, 2012

Any name brand hollow point will be good for HD/SD. Most use FMJ at the range cuz it's cheaper. My range ammo has the same grains as my HD/SD so the gun handles the same.

As for cleaning, it's a matter of personal preference. Some clean every time they shoot, some seem to claim you never have to clean. It seems pretty consistent to be sure you don't overlube your Glock. As for me, I've got just under 1,000 rounds through my G22 and I've cleaned it twice so far. No problems at all, which means there are no special requirements for break-in, either. YMMV
  4. socialwork911

Aug 22, 2012
    thanks FMJ it is for range time..thanks and keep the advice coming
  5. FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    Welcome, my 17 is gen 2. You picked a nice weapon for HD. No break-in needed. Nothing wrong with the above advice. Read the manual and shoot, shoot, shoot.
  6. Glock40man

Feb 1, 2011
    The Midwest
    Welcome to GT! Pretty much any FMJ ammo will work fine at the range. As well as, good HPs for HD/SD use. (Speer Gold Dots are easy to find.)

Congrats on your G17!:cool:
  7. socialwork911

Aug 22, 2012
  8. socialwork911

Aug 22, 2012
    will log in some range time today
  9. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Welcome aboard!

For range practice, use the least expensive factory 115gr FMJ ammo you can find on sale. Typically at a Wal-Mart that means Federal Champion or Winchester White Box.

For home defense, use premium hollow point ammunition. In this case, you'll have to experiment to find the manufacturer, power rating (SAAMI normal, SAAMI +P), and projectile weight that you can shoot accurately. When I had a G17 Gen4, I chose Hornady 147gr Critical Defense.

Glock barrels are polygonal rifled. Copper FMJ ammo is necessary. Some of the most experienced members here use hard-cast lead projectiles, but since you're new stick to FMJ ammo.

Follow all the rules of firearms safety. Use good shooting fundamentals of grip, sight, stance, and trigger press. Take it nice and slow.

If your range allows it and you can safely do it, pick up your spent brass cases. The brass case is reloadable, and one of the more expensive components of a complete round of ammunition. If you ever decide to learn to reload ammunition, you'll be glad you accumulated those cases.

Regarding cleaning...

While I do not prefer Glocks, I think a Glock is an excellent choice for a first handgun. The Glock is a very simple design, which makes it very easy to clean and maintain.

Use a good cleaning solvent, lubricant, cleaning rod w/tips, patches, and an old toothbrush.

All I ever did was to field strip the Glock per the instruction manual. I would lightly wet the toothbrush with cleaning solvent, and loosen the fouling on the slide. I'll wipe it off with a rag.

I'll clean off the toothbrush with the rag. I'll lightly wet it with solvent again, and lightly brush the grip frame paying particular attention to the rails and locking block. Wipe off with the rag.

I'll then attend to the barrel. I'll use a solvent moistened patch and wipe down the exterior of the barrel. I'll then push a solvent moistened patch down the bore and let it sit for a few min. I'll then change tips to a phosphor bronze brush, dip it in solvent, and run it through the bore. Follow up by pushing dry patches on a jag.

Glocks don't need much lubrication. Use a decent oil and lube per the manual's instruction.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  10. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

Jun 23, 2006
    Metro. Detroit
  11. socialwork911

Aug 22, 2012
    thanks y'all for the guidance...going to walmart for ammo