close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gen4 g23 first shooting impressions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MonsterB, Jan 13, 2012.

1. MonsterB

MonsterB

Ok, I know there are a million threads about the Gen4's and how they are either total crap, absolutely perfect, or somewhere inbetween. If you didnt know any better, you would probably read all this stuff and think maybe thats not the gun for me, Im gonna try something more reliable and less quirky. I must admit that I cut my teeth on Glocks and love them, but was wary of the Gen4 and all the problems I have heard about. I have been carrying a G26 gen3 for about 1.5 years (its my second g26), and have always been very happy with it. I shoot lots of guns, 22's, 380's, G26, 1911 45's, S&W 357, a couple rifles, all of which I currently own. I love all of my guns but for plain old reliability, ease of maintenance, lightweight, and concealability, I have never been convinced there is a better option out there than Glock, at least for me. I have also owned and shot quite a few other guns, I just didnt care for them and got rid of them.
    Anyways, back to the story at hand. Last weekend I picked up a Gen4G23. I waited until I was hearing mostly good reports, and finally picked one up. I was mostly tempted for a 40 cal, and something that could be concealed, and after looking at just about everything I went back to yet another Glock. As it was my first Gen4, I was wondering what to expect. Would this thing give me problems and ruin my love of Glocks?
    Lets just say that my first experince with the gun was close to nirvana. I feel foolish writing this but I rarely get excited to this point over a gun. I am more impressed with this gun than maybe anything I have ever shot.
    The thing fits in my hands perfect. From a draw I get the right grip every time. My support hand goes to the right place without thinking about it. The trigger is as smooth as the one on my g26 with 5k+ rounds through it. The recoil is less than any 40 I have shot yet, which was a huge surprise. I tried some double taps and getting back on target after the first shot was effortless. The new recoil spring really does redudce recoil, absolutely no doubt about it. My other g23 was much snappier, and that snappieness is gone. Very little muzzle rise, seemingly less than my 26. Not one erratic ejection, every shell was launched into the distance. Perfect reliability, but only 250 rounds so far. Amo was cheapo Lawman 180 grain. All three mags that came with the gun loaded up 13 rounds with ease, and fit into the gun smoothly. The new larger mag release is also easier to use, you dont have to think about it or look to see where it is, its right where it should be and works flawless. The slightly smaller grip seems to fit my hand better than the Gen3.
    Ok so this is just the first day shooting a new gun, and not that many rounds. But I am beyond happy with how well this gun worked for me. I personally think that Glock actually did improve an already awesome product. I hope it continues to treat me this well, and I think it will. Glock is still numer one in my book, maybe more so now than ever.

2. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

I agree the gen 4 g23 is one great Glock, I love shooting mine.

3. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

G23 was the first Glock I bought back in 1993, and am happy to say that it is still in the stable today.

It's always good to see positive reports when someone has a new addition to their collection. Glad that it is working out well for you.

4. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The Gen4 23 was the fourth Glock added to my collection on 12/15. I have had an identical experience as the OP. This gun is the epitome of Glock 'perfection'. I haven't even been tempted to try the backstraps yet, but I did always prefer the SFs. Unlike some other Glocks, the gun loads up its advertised capacity +1 no sweat right out of the box.

5. Hognutz

Hognutz

I have the same gun, and love it..

6. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Love My Gen4 G23 as well.. shoots like a dream and is easy to carry all day long...

7. venenoindy

venenoindy

I had a couple of .40's in the past as much as I wanted to like them I did not, I recently traded my G35 gen3 for a G23 gen4 and just like you I have found that I like the gen4 a lot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  8. Priapus

Priapus

Thanks for posting your experience, I have been considering a gen 4 g23

9. Air Man

Air Man Senior Member

Man! I will print this out and use it for Bathroom Reading Material. :rofl:

10. bry@n

bry@n

This is the news I have been waiting for. I am very interested in gen 4 g23 and think I will be getting one soon. Thanks for the review.

11. bentbiker

bentbiker

OP, what is the number on your ejector? Date of test-fire?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  12. G-19

G-19

I love mine as well.

13. Falkov

Falkov

I have owned different .40 cal pistols before: G24, G35,XD40SC, P99QA, G27. But, the G23 4th gen shoots the best- actually shot to the Point of Aim every time. The medium grip actually helps me control pistol better.

14. Glock40man

Glock40man

15. BuckeyeBob

BuckeyeBob

Love my G23 Gen4. Smoothest .40 I have ever fired. Great fit in my hand. I highly recommend this weapon.

16. Deriffe

Deriffe

Ditto all the positive comments. Love mine. My 4th Glock and it won't be my last.

17. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

This post is what I like to hear since I AM a Glock FanBoy.:whistling:

Thanks for the positive read.

18. G19dude

G19dude

Another thumps up for all G23 Gen4 owners!

19. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the review.