close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gen 4 G26 range report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by superspud, Jun 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. superspud

superspud Ninja

Just took my G26 to the range today for the first time and overall I am very impressed. It's surprisingly less snappy than my gen 3 G19 and I like how it fits in my hands (in factory form, no +1 or any extensions).

I threw 290 rounds of mostly FMJ at it but did mix in several variants of HP ranging between 147 gr and 124 +p and for the most part it handled it very well.

I did, however, have 3 malfunctions that I am somewhat concerned about.

My very first attempt at shooting it, I had the slide closed, loaded the magazine and manually racked it to load the first round. This resulted in an FTF, the round jammed half way in the chamber. I wrote that off as it being new and tight and needing the slide to be locked back

Next malfunction was the last round of one of my G19 mags that resulted in an FTE. The round fired but did not eject fully and jammed in the gun.

The last malfunction was another FTF, which ironicly enough was also another last round from one of my G19 mags. It jammed while attempting to enter the chamber simlilar to the first FTF.

Now while I can somewhat excuse all three of these as a result of me using the G19 mags and not having the slide locked back, i must admit I am somewhat frustrated. I've not had a single malfunction with my G19 after several thousand rounds, and had 3 within the first 300 today.

Also, my hand is completely chewed up from the new gen 4 grips. Granted I won't be shooting nearly 300 rounds too often, but damn, those little bumps wear down your hand pretty quick.

Thoughts?

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would mark the magazines to see if it is one particular magazine that is doing this. I am presuming that you cleaned and lubricated the Glock before shooting it.

3. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

If your little finger applies backward pressure to the Glock 19 mag it can induce malfunctions. On your first malfunction you may not have released the slide fast enough. Congrats on having a 26, it is my favorite Glock model.

4. Amsdorf

Amsdorf

Congrats, I think you are really going to like your G26. I put Talon grips on mine which I find to be very helpful, I also installed the crimson trace laser system on it.

The results, at least for me, have been great.

Here's a vid I made of mine in action. I'm always a bit surprised at how accurate I can be with it, in spite of myself.

:whistling:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf2kuG9LnIs"]How to Shoot the Glock 26 - With Laser Demo - YouTube[/ame]

5. MikeG36

MikeG36

+1 This is very likely what's going on here.

OP I'll bet things smooth out for you if you don't push back on the G19 mag in your 26. Good luck and congrats on the new 26

6. superspud

superspud Ninja

I feel better already because you guys are saying what I suspected. The G19 mags do have some play, so after the malfunction I assumed that could be the cause.

Like I said, absolutely love the feel of the gun. Looking forward to carrying it daily once I take it to the range again and have zero malfunctions.

7. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I had a few disconcerting moments while my G26 Gen4 was new also.....

After the first 300 or so rounds, and a total detail strip, things improved dramatically, and now, after 1300 rounds: completely trouble free for the last 1000 rounds!

Shoot it, shoot it more, and shoot it some more, and it will come into it's own!

8. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

congrats and nice shooting

9. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats! :cool:

Hope you get it all worked out

10. jv56

jv56 member

The only problem I have had with the G-19 mag in my Gen 4 glock 26 is slide did not lock back on the last round. No big deal to me. Could be be the mag has to much play or riding the slide lock. Glock 26 gem 4 great gun. I always thought G19 was better but not now.

11. Ranger45

Ranger45

Great range report! Congrats on the new 26!

12. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

You have a great little pistol!