close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gen 3 G26 initial (short) range trip

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RonS, Apr 15, 2012.

1. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Took 100 Rounds of CCI Blazer (alu) but stopped shooting after 60 or so rounds when my target stand blew over for the third time, despite having a toolbag weighted with rocks sitting on it. Being a rather pointy FMJ I expected no issues and was not disapointed. Recoil was very managable although I am having trouble finding a consistant home for my left hand. I kept using the trigger guard hook like it was 1975.

Very pleased with the gun. No malfunctions at all. Ejection ranged from hat brim to 6-7 feet to my rear on both sides. I policed up my brass since they are worthless to anyone and threw them away. Most were behind me on the left but there was a small pile at my feet and some on the table to my right side. I guess this is erratic ejection but as long as it does not become erratic non ejection I can live with it. 60 rounds is too soon to tell anyway.

Used an NRA 25yd slow fire target at about half that distance and the group was all inside the 5 ring and slightly left of center. I was satisfied with my shooting, my shooting glasses with the stick on bifocal still bring the front sight into focus perfectly despite a developing cataract in the right eye. This works so well that I am thinking of having a pair of glasses made this way, what they call "occupational lenses". I need to take a square to the top of the front sight, it looks like it is a little off square at the top, plus I would like to have a different rear sight, there isn't much light around the front and the white "park here" lines make it hard to find the inside edges of the rear sight.

I have not shot in almost two years and it felt good. I have less than a month to get ready for GSSF Dayton so I will be doing this as much as the ammo budget will allow, plus I see a set of Lee dies in my future.

I was surprised by how comfortable the 10 round magazines were compared to the 12 round Glock mags, no real difference is control and in some ways tucking the pinky felt more natural. I think that I will carry with a 10 in the gun plus a 12rd reload. Of course I have three 12 round mags now since I was expecting to use them for GSSF so I need to buy one more 10 rounder if I decide to shoot competition with the 10s. That would give me three of each. Options are good.

Trigger was quite manageable and felt crisp at release. I had used the manual instructions and a syringe of Wilson oil/grease followed by a light finger tip wipe to remove the excess.

Next trip I want to try some 147 grain ammo, including hollow points.

As per usual I met some nice folks at the range, a couple my age shooting an array of handguns including some rarities and the local scoutmaster/CCW instructor who came down to visit and chat.

Overall, very good morning. Now, off to pick up a pack of chopped sirloin patties and see if I can keep the grill lit in this wind.

2. Glockenspiel 25

Glockenspiel 25

Sounds like alot of fun, can't wait till I get mine...oh, and 1975 was a GREAT year (my birth year of course). I'm going to try shooting the 26 with a combo of 147 grain, 115 grain, and 124 +p when I bring it home. It's an old Gen 3, I'm thinking 250-300 rounds before I feel comfortable enough to keep it in the car, 500 till i'm comfortable enough to carry.

3. Rustin

Rustin

Sounds like a good range trip. Congrats on the G26, it's such a wonderful gun. I usually carry mine 10+1 with a G19 mag and my flashlight offside. No other gun can do what the G26 does. If I can get it together, I might see you in Dayton for the GSSF match. There are a couple of people that frequent Glock talk that are from Ohio. Maybe we'll meet someday on the range. Be safe, stay dangerous.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

Glad to hear you're enjoying your G26. Hope the grill stays lit. Any chance some of the aluminum cases' trajectories were effected by the wind?

5. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G26.

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Charcoal grilled Sirloin patties are digesting, along with a couple of Big Red Smokies. (Group digestion, I did not eat multiple burgers and dogs, too old for that kind of thing. One 3/8 LB burger is my limit.) :)

I think my BULLETS trajectory was affected by te wind! I have a Plano tool box for a range bag and the wind was rocking and sliding it on the bench. My target stand is made with a base bolted together out of 2x4s with 1x2 uprights that fold in half so they fit sideways in the Chrokee but are 6" tall when open and tightened down. It blew down instantly when I set it up so I went back to the Jeep to get my tool bag full of ratchet tiedowns, jerk strap etc and on the way back I noticed a part of the parking lot with some big assed rocks where they put in some drainage so I put 4 rocks about the size of a double fist in the bag and set the whole thing on the base. It blew over two more times before I gave up.

I don't care, it was a great day shooting and I am pleased with the gun. I wish I had bought a G26 ten years ago when I sold my G22.