close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gas Nitride treatment??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by speicher, Oct 14, 2011.

1. speicher

speicher

I was talking to a Glock tech services person today, and I was told that Tennifer was no longer being used as of mid-late 2010, and that the new treatment on the slide and barrel is this Gas Nitride process. He stated that it still pocesses the same Rockwell hardness, and that one contributing factor to the change, was that some LE agencies were not happy with the shiny finish on the older models. That part didnt make sense to me, because the Tennifering process wouldn't have anything to do with the shiny finish that is applied over the Tennifer treated metal. I have noticed that most newer Glocks have that dull grey like finish...but I thought that the slides and barrels were still being Tennifered??

He wasn't able (or willing?) to give me much detailed info on this new Gas Nitride treatment.

Thoughts...

2. tonyparson

tonyparson

When I called Glock about a month ago the warranty dept. guy I talked to said they were still doing the Tennifer process to all Glocks. I guess you dont know who to believe when you call Glock you get a differnt answers every time you call them.

3. speicher

speicher

The other thing I would be curious about, given that this information is accurate...in addition to Rockwell hardness, what about corrosion resistence of this new treatment??

4. .50 cal

.50 cal

5. Chronos

Chronos

Sounds like they're doing the same thing chemically, but using a gas process rather than the liquid bath process (tenifer). Presumably, there would be no difference to the outcome, but I suppose it's possible that one technique penetrates the steel to a different depth or something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing#Processes

I agree the guy you talked to probably didn't know what he was talking about with regard to the finish -- this also makes me suspect his tenifer story, but I can imagine that along the way he heard something about a "gas process" instead of the "tenifer process," and this is just how it was all interpreted inside his head.

6. rta108

rta108

I love a good "mystery of Tennifer" thread...

Is it the rust proofing?
    Is it the surface?
    Is it EPA approved?
    Is it black?
    Is it gray?
    If you use a butt-plug, will debris get trapped?

7. speicher

speicher

I agree, the guy seemed to stumble over his words a bit, and I am in no way trying to start a "war thread", this is simply what he told me. I wonder if he was referring to the surface finish and not the steels treatment??

It makes me wonder what the truth is though...Tennifered or not???

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Sounds like Glock is farming out their customer service calls to the I.R.S.

9. speicher

speicher

Well, called Glock again today (1st time was Friday), and was told the same thing...that Tenifer is no longer being used, instead it is this new Gas Nitride and by the sounds of it, it has been used since the beginning of 2011. I was told that it still penetrates approximately 3 microns, same quality corrosion resistance, this gentleman wasn't sure on the Rockwell rating...but on Friday was told that it did Rockwell the same as the Tenifer treated components. I got on Glock.com, and it still speaks of Tenifer as the current treatment used...:dunno: when I asked if the slides and barrels were recieving this new treatment in Austria or the U.S., both claimed Austria.

When it comes to something that has worked as well as Tenifer has for so long...I HATE CHANGE. I wonder if this change was made because this Gas Nitride is truely better/more advanced or because its cheaper to produce and manufacture?? only time will tell if we will miss Tenifer.

10. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

So, why didnt you question him or ask him about it? Story sure is fishy and i have not heard anything of that sort in my entire life. Only thing missing here is ONCE UPON A TIME.............:rofl:

11. speicher

speicher

I honestly dont remember what he said when I responded with the difference between the surface finish vs. the steels chemical treatment (Tenifer). By that time I thought that we were definately NOT on the same page of music, and was starting to get in to that "Well, thanks for your time", mode and started to feel like I wasn't receiving straight answers. The answers I've received today from different individuals at Glock have not changed...and no one else (outside of Glock) seems to be aware of this change??

I could only hope that three different people have got their wires crossed, and Tenifer is still utilized. Glock.com still lists Tenifer??

I would really like to learn more about this new Gas Nitride, as I am exclusivley Glock when it comes to my pistols.

12. sulaco

sulaco 10mm Junky

Salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing ("Tenifer") isn't environmentally friendly because of the salt bath process of heat (surface) treatment so they are switching to something that's more "green". I bet the Austrian government is giving them heck about it.

I just hope the gas nitride system they are using is controlled well because it has the potential to be much more problematic than "Tenifer" ever was.

I think I'll miss Tenifer myself. It seemed like an outstanding process with the great side effect that the steel seemed almost self-lubricating.

This is just my very unsubstantiated opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

I also bet most of the guys and gals at Glock Smyrna don't have a clue what's going on. Most of them are not gun nuts like us. Well-meaning, but just not the same as us.

13. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Kinda surprised that they haven't gone over to plasma nitriding. It's much more environmentally friendly than either bath or gas nitriding. Another plus (irrelevant to Glocks) is that it can be applied to some grades of stainless steel without lowering their corrosion resistances.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  14. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot

The new website doesn't mention Tenifer any longer.

http://www.teamglock.com/technology

Click on the Engineering tab and then Surface Treatment.

Via OHub for iPhone
    Thanks GT!

15. tonyparson

tonyparson

Surface Treatment

16. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

WOW! I would say THAT is a definitive answer to this question, because it MOST DEFINITELY said Tenifer just a few months (or weeks) ago. I was about to say that it's probably all big corporation rumor, but that about settles it for me. It used to say Tenifer there, and now it's "advanced surface treatments". I REALLY hope the new finish is worth a damn, or Glock is screwed. Seriously, I am a huge Glock fan, but one of the main reasons was the excellence of the Tenifer finish. I will reserve judgement until I own and use a new Glock, but that worries me. Screw the "greenies", you don't mess with something that has been one of your company's mainstays.

17. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

18. tonyparson

tonyparson

Here's what it says on the Glock website. Their two websites remind me of when you call them on the phone you always get two differnt stories.

19. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

When I took the Armorer's Class earlier this year, the instructor spent some time discussing the Tenifer finish and its characteristics. Tenifer is the only finish that was discussed.

20. BIG-DOG

BIG-DOG

Are you guys really surprised to hear that they might be using a new treatment with all the posts in the last few months about Glocks and rust. Up until this year you never heard or very rarely heard people mention Glock and the word rust. I'll keep my rock solid old gen 3 Glocks with the shiny finish, and buy a old used one if I decide to buy any more.