close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

"New" Garand

Discussion in 'Military Surplus Forum' started by Cdoggsizzle, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Cdoggsizzle

Cdoggsizzle

Mar 26, 2012
    Midlothian, VA
    I'm close to sending in my paperwork to purchase a M1 Garand. I am leaning towards the .308, vs the 30-06, and would like some feed back on whether or not this is a good choice.

Thanks!

2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I have always figured if I were going to shoot a .308 length rd I'd do it in a .308 length action.

Also be aware that there are factory rounds loaded to be compatible with the Garand action in 30-06 I don't know of any .308 rds specifically loaded for the M-1 action.

Of course you can get and adjustable plug that will lessen the problem for either caliber.

3. poikilotrm

poikilotrm

Aug 12, 2010
    I always thought an M1 in .25-'06 would be pretty cool. Mine is chambered in .30-'06 and runs like a top. Given .308 prices, I see no advantage for the foreseeable future in using .308 rather than .30-'06.

4. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I was considering having my "tanker" clone converted to .35 Whelen as a "Thumper"

5. Although I'm not an expert, I know a couple guys that have 7.62 Garands and they love them. No feeding probs reported,

6. Cdoggsizzle

Cdoggsizzle

Mar 26, 2012
    Midlothian, VA
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm still undecided though. I like the authenticity of the 30-06, as this is more historically associated with the M1, but still like the .308. Maybe I should flip a coin?

7. den308

den308 NOT A COOK

Oct 31, 2004
    New England U.S.A.
    I have a National Match M-1 Navy re-build in .308 and have used it many times in competition with out any problems.