Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

New G34 + competition

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Christian944, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Christian944

Jun 22, 2010
    So I just bought my first gun a 34 about a week ago. I'm looking to get into competitive shooting and im going to watch an IPSC event tomorrow here in Orlando FL.

Going to get some dawson sights but I was just wondering if anyone that has gone through this initial stage before could give me any advice. Advice on anything really, things you wish you had done that you didnt. I dont want to repeat anyones mistakes :)
  2. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    Go slow. Have fun.

Take a peek around in this forum.

3. blktie8

blktie8 NRA Always

Oct 2, 2009
    Howell Mi.
    I purchased these from Chris
    at CPWSA

My glock 34 runs fine with them

Chris is a shooter and sells competition products and he will help you out with your choices.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    The Dawson Precision F/O sights are fairly popular among the IDPA folks.
  5. wilkersk

Jun 6, 2010
    Rather than dumping money into new sights or other custom work, buy more magazines and a good belt/holster rig.

After running dry a few times, I insist on having at least 6 magazines for production division competition. 4 on the belt, 1 in the gun, and 1 in my pocket.

And, a good solid belt/holster/mag pouch rig is much more important for a new competitor than an expensive or heavily customized pistol.

If you're serious about competing, and not reloading, consider starting. A new Dillon XL650 can pay for itself quickly, especially if you can scrounge for brass.

I just made the leap from a CZ75 to a G34 and love it!
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  6. Christian944

Jun 22, 2010
    Yeah the first thing will be a hoster/belt. I have everything else, oh and of course, magazines.

I want to step into the sport slowly, see how much I really like it before I spend too much money. Thanks for the information.
  7. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    As Glock platform biased I am.... I have to admit that the weakest link but far are the stock sights. A sight change is a must do for me with any Glock. (waiting on some XS sights for my new carry G30SF right now) The Dawson FO/Henie combo are great as are the Sevigny's I sport both on my G34 and G17 game guns. Holsters recommend BladeTech or Comptac and Wilderness Tactical for a belt.
  8. AmericanGunWorks

AmericanGunWorks In IL HELP ME

Wow, first gun is a 34.. nice job..

here's my only advice that I didnt when I started shooting IDPA.. get a sight picture before shooting, don't just do blind double taps becuase its faster.
  9. ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    Red Haze has it right. Go slow and have fun. I actually like stock sights. I just change the front to a steel version. If you like different sights get what you like. Other than that a good holster and some extra mags will be needed. The 34 comes pretty well set-up for competition.
  10. Christian944

Jun 22, 2010

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  11. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Is that A-grip? Good stuff. Just be careful getting solvents on stick on grips of any kind as it tends to turn the glue gooey and it will move around. Best to wrap the grip with a towel or rag if you're spraying any powder blast/break free or other solvent on the frame.

I am not a big fan of the stick sights and change mine for Sevigny's or Heinie's with a Qwik/Race cut rear in all black. You can get some pretty decent sights from Ameriglo in many different styles to include tritium and plain black.

I also always ditch the extended slide stop in favor of the standard one. The standard is just as easy to activate and you will be less likely to bump it in rapid fire, locking the slide to the rear in the middle of a stage.

I would also get a holster and pouches that are IDPA legal if you think you might want to try something besides USPSA. Anything IDPA legal will be fine for USPSA production.

My club holds an IDPA match the third Saturday of every month in Ft. Meade (Polk County/south of bartow) which isn't too far for you if you're coming from Orlando. PM me and I will give you the details. If you come to a match, I will install any parts you have that you want installed if you like. I am an armorer for my department. Also, if you let me know you're coming, you can borrow something if you need it. I have enough holsters and pouches for at least four or five other glock shooters.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  12. samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Wow, I need friends like that guy...^^
  13. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Congrats on the G34. :)
  14. Cheytac

Mar 22, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Congrats Christian. I'm looking at getting a G34 myself. I hope to shoot in Clearwater next month for my 1st time, IDPA.

dsmw, can you send me some info on your club?
  15. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

Oct 2, 2007
    For some reason I can't seem to send you a PM. You can PM me an email address or send me an email at and I will gladly send you the info.
  16. Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    Sights is the first mod. Try out some sights to see what width's you like. I like the Dawson the best. Warren or a distant second.
  17. bisdak

Jun 22, 2006
    Coffeetown, U.S.A.
    Here's my advice:

4. Go slow, accuracy before speed, speed will come over time. You can only shoot as fast as you can see. But to see, make sure you have front sights on target first before trigger pull.

Good Luck!
  18. G17G4

G17G4 USPSA Open

May 22, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just got one myself, glockmeister did all my work.

19. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Southern California
    Shoot fast and have fun. Don't do anything to scare the RO. New sights are pretty much a must on Glocks, a good belt, like Wilderness Tactical, at least 5 mags (big sticks), good mag pouches (singles are better), good holster (I like BladeTech). If you can afford more, get electric ears and a shot timer. Then, take a competitive shooting class so you don't struggle in D class for years.. And it's USPSA in the US, IPSC is the world organization. Check for more info.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010