close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New G19 owner

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BlkBullitt, Mar 27, 2013.

1. zgar

zgar

Aug 12, 2009
    Glock 19 gen4 own it, carry it, my favorite Glock !

2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Congrats! I have two G19's (Gen 2 and a Gen 3) and I like 124+P Gold Dots in my G19's.

3. Toby196

Toby196 Fetching a rug.

Congrats on the new G19. I love mine- a great, soft shooting, easy to conceal gun. I definitely recommend swapping in a smooth G17 trigger, but personally don't like the idea of going with a minus connector on a carry gun (that's just me though). I've found a quick/light 25 cent trigger job is just enough to get the trigger to where I like it, without lightening it.

As far as defensive ammo, I'm currently carrying 147gr Federal HST, but I also have some 147gr Speer Gold Dot that functions great in my G19 too. I recently picked up some +P 147gr Federal HST rounds, but I don't like the fact that they actually penetrate a bit less than the regular 147gr rounds I already carry (didn't realize such until after I had placed my order). Anyway, as you can tell, I prefer the heavy-for-caliber bullets.

ETA: Forgot to add, my G19 is actually a Franken-Glock. It's a Austrian proof Gen2 G19 slide assembly mounted on my Gen3 G23 frame (with smooth trigger and 9mm trigger housing installed). It's been flawless so far.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. Sohryu76

Sohryu76

Feb 13, 2013
    I just picked up my first Glock... first gun actually, on Tuesday. A Glock 19 Gen 4 blue label. I can't wait to shoot it.

5. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Very good, I carried a Glock-19 (2nd Gen) for years because I didnt like the Glock-23 (3rd Gen) finger grooves, got a well used/worn 2nd Gen G-23 one day and assigned the G-19 to the wife. Couldnt be happier.

6. BlkBullitt

BlkBullitt

Jan 11, 2013
    Ohio
    Right now I'm wishing I had a 23 as well since my LGS has cases upon cases of .40, but no 9mm.

7. BlkBullitt

BlkBullitt

Jan 11, 2013
    Ohio
    You'll love it. If my LGS had a Gen4 I would have picked it up as I like the RTF, but in this current market I was happy to find a new Gen3 at a good price.

8. clarkz71

clarkz71

Aug 24, 2012
    South Florida
    I also don't like the finger grooves on my 23.

I was lucky enough to find my gen2 19 in a pawn shop
    in 90% condition. All original black parts and non captured
    RSA. Installed all the updated parts but it shot great
    with the originals. I'm looking for a gen2 G23 now.

9. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

May 23, 2009
    DFW TX
    Congrats on the new GLOCK 19. Fantastic platform.

For defense ammo I will only carry Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T. I also tend to go heavy grain vs lighter grain.

Here is a link to some data (it is not new data) that I think is a good read and you may find informative. This is not an end all but a good starting point for research.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm

Be safe,
    Doc