close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

NEW Dept of Defense AR Mag Follower to be issued

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TRguy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. TRguy

TRguy

Mar 26, 2009
    Concord, NC
    NEW Dept of Defense AR Mag Follower to be issued

http://www.defencetalk.com/improved-magazine-increases-weapons-reliability-23413/

[​IMG]

The Army has begun fielding a new 5.56mm 30-round "improved magazine" that delivers a significant increase in reliability for M-16 and M-4 weapons.

Bolstering the already high reliability ratings of the M-16 and M-4, the improved magazine reduces the risk of magazine-related stoppages by more than 50 percent compared to the older magazine variants.....

2. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I see the hump is now on the left side of the mag. :dunno:

3. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    "The Army has begun fielding a new 5.56mm 30-round "improved magazine" that delivers a significant increase in reliability for M-16 and M-4 weapons.

Bolstering the already high reliability ratings of the M-16 and M-4, the improved magazine reduces the risk of magazine-related stoppages by more than 50 percent compared to the older magazine variants....."

Experience trumps theory every time. Given the history of the M-16/M-4 series, it will take a lot more than just a press statement to persuade any reasonable person that a mere magazine modification will make this series as currently developed and issued anything more than suspect beyond the rifle range. Hopefully this magic little bit of "magic" will work. Time and experience will tell. Everything else is just theory and press releases. Sincerely. Brucev.

4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
  5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    This kills me,.......

My Son-in-Law is currently in Afganistan. He and many others carry P-Mags.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Looking at them on my computer instead of my iPhone, it looks like the bullet hump (to use the technical term) is much longer and and more defined on the new one, which I can see being somewhat beneficial.

7. Onmilo

Onmilo

Jul 10, 2005
    Illinois
    "Tan is the plan, green-start to lean, black-take it back." :rofl:

What wit the planners have.

I am curious to the shift in first round feed, am wondering if this allows fully loaded magazines to seat better under closed bolts???

8. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
  9. thunderbat

thunderbat

Sep 5, 2006
    OH
    Good grief, more than a 50% increase in reliability?!?! Were the 'old' ones really that bad?????:upeyes:

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Not if they were clean,.....

11. thunderbat

thunderbat

Sep 5, 2006
    OH
    My point exactly, nothing wrong with them as they were...

12. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    How and or why would shifting from one side to the other make the magazine seat better? No mattery which way you do it, the rounds are still the same distance below the feed lips. And I was not aware there was ever a problem seating full AR mags.

13. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    If you look closer, the molded placer isn't really longer, it is placed further up, or more forward if you will.

14. 21 shooter

21 shooter

Aug 22, 2001
    NC
    I guess just ordering some followers from Magpul was just way to simple for them.

15. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Why try ta fix it if'n it ain't broke.'08. :dunno:

16. RM

RM Millennium Member

Oct 12, 1999
    Deployed
    Current mags give about 90 percent of the failures you see in the weapon system.

17. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

Sep 29, 2005
    Colorado
    Well we download our 30rd mags to 28rds for a reason. Under stress when you end up with worthless monkey paws and no fine motor skills there is a tendency to not fully seat a full 30rd mag on a closed bolt (tactical reload). A full USGI spec mag takes a good hard slap to actually seat and on some rifles a full 30rd mag will not seat at all on a closed bolt.

18. Onmilo

Onmilo

Jul 10, 2005
    Illinois
    I don't know why it might help, it is speculation.
    Many feed issues occur in the last few rounds loaded into the magazine so switching from left, right, left, right, feed to right,left, right,left feed may reduce the bolt over base stoppages, I really don't know, that is why I am asking.

And there has definately been issues with seating fully loaded magazines on closed bolts in M16 type rifles, both military and commercial versions.
    If the top cartridge cams into the left side of the bolt carrier instead of the right side it may allow the magazine to cant to the right instead of the left in the magazine well which could allow the magazine catch to latch more efficiently since the magazine is leaning away from the catch instead of bearing against it.

These are the reasonings I can come up with.