close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New DEP recruit. Any advice for me?

Discussion in 'US Navy Forum' started by Smitty53, May 28, 2007.

1. Smitty53

Smitty53
    Expand Collapse
    Friend of Fred

As the title says, I DEP'ed in about a month ago. And I am wondering if anyone has any advice for a soon to be sailor. I ship out for boot camp on September 14th. I signed up to be an AV for 4 years.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. goldshellback

goldshellback
    Expand Collapse

Howdy smitty53.....a little about myself first...

I joined back in '92 while taking a semester off from college.....here I am 15 yrs later.....go figure.

I'm a submarine radioman so I can't tell ya too much about your chosen rate. I've done 4 diffrent boats and currently on my 2nd shore duty tour.

As for boot camp....just go with it, tolarate it, and get outta there without opening your mouth too often. Boot camp is just that....basic training and to see if you can follow orders/direction.

From there it's on to "A" school. DO NOT get a stupid attack and enjoy the sudden change from boot camp to the 'freedom' of a school enviroment. I'm am instructor presently and I see WAY to much of this behavior. Newbies spending money like they have A "high paying " job. Drinking themselves into Captians Mast, wheather underage or not, because they could/can and got caught/into trouble. It's school, learn all you can while enjoying yourself in a responsabily fun manner.

Ultimately you'll get to the fleet....your first boat. Get qualified your rate, your boat, and as many watchstations as you can. You will be seen as a hot runner and a "go to" sailor. Helps with evals, promotions, and the chiefs, higher up's, etc. will be MUCH more willing to help you/back you up when you REALLY need it.

It really is a fun job but it's work too, LOTS of it! Keep your attitude and morals high,... staying outta trouble will be easy then.....for no other reason that you wouldn't want to be a liberty risk when you pull into one of those COOL foregin ports!!!

Welcome Aboard Shipmate! Keep us up to date prior to and after boot camp. Post here or feel free to contact me via GT message if you have a question and don't want a recruiter's answer.

Stay Safe....Goldie

3. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr
    Expand Collapse

OUTSTANDING ADVICE!!

4. Smitty53

Smitty53
    Expand Collapse
    Friend of Fred

Thanks for the advice!

5. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Salty Collar

Never Again Volunteer Yourself!

I hope you like cleaning. You will be a JM, janitor's mate most of the time!

Boot camp was a joke, I graduated April, 13th of this year. just pay attention and stay clean. If I were you I would try for the yeomen or master at arms position in the division. I was the MA. It was fun at times and ****ty at others. I don't know anything about your rate, I am an EN(SNIPES RULE ALL), and Chicago sucks!

When you graduate, it gets harder. There are so many ways to get sent to Captain's Mast. don't be that idiot! We have so many idiot's here getting put on restriction and money taking away from them. Stay smart and you will come out on top.

Try to enjoy bootcamp, it really was a joke if you asked me. The damn PT was like kindergarten PE. Do not count the days and have your loved ones send you plenty of mail, that helped out alot with me. Iron your uniforms, pay attention to detail, the will beat that into you.

OH! and get your PQS done so that you can make E-2, I was dumb and didn't. If you get a good dividional staff or ship staff position you can get advanced again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can come out an E3, then 6 months later, BAM your a third class.

Good luck and thanks for joining. You'll do great!

Oh, and never forget that we run the ship, engineers rule!:animlol:

6. squidville_1975

squidville_1975
    Expand Collapse

For my fellow canoe club members: :rofl: :laughabove: :supergrin:

[​IMG]

7. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Salty Collar

Yeah our instructors had that and were passing it around in class the other day:animlol:

8. Doc_Fuller

Doc_Fuller
    Expand Collapse

All I can say is welcome aboard. I can’t tell you much about your rate, because most of my time I have been with the Marines. As stated above boot camp is a joke, keep your mouth shut, do what you’re told, and try to show a tiny bit of initiative and it will go quick. Good luck,
    -Doc

9. Hillikus

Hillikus
    Expand Collapse

Well as everyone else said welcome aboard and they are correct about boot camp. I just tried to look up the last testing results for your rate, which I've never heard of, and there is no "AV" listed on the exam results. Are you sure that is what you will be? Well if you want any more info just shoot me a message and I'll see what I can do.

Edited to add: Also I believe that now when you're in "A" school they will give the entire class a listing of first duty stations i.e. if there are 25 students they'll bring in 25-30 different places that they could go and the students pick which orders they want by their ranking in the class so I'd suggest being number 1 if at all possible. Also some schools will give automatic E4 to the #1 in the class. When I was in they did the E4 thing but we didn't get to pick our orders. Of course I was at A school during 9/11.

10. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Salty Collar

There is still a top grad rank increase, and you get a "wish list", most get the station they want, but some don't

11. brownmajik

brownmajik
    Expand Collapse
    Manu Militari

PT with the SWCC, Diver, EOD, SEAL guys, if you can. Much more fun! Also, Great Lakes in Winter sucks....hard. Dunno what AV's spend their time doing, but I promise it isn't as fun as sneakin' thru the mud and blowing the crap out of things for a living. Try to go to the "Brownwater / Gator Navy" side as fast as you can! Dunno how things are in Boot these days, as I went thru in '96, but there it is!

12. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Salty Collar

I agree, I was EOD, got married and decided it wasn't for me(couldn't swim that damn pool in the time alloted) so I changed to DC, but got EN in bootcamp. I lost $30k bonus as well. But the work outs were great. That will get you in shape for bootcamp. The first PFA is hard there. The climate change was hard for me, I failed the first PFA, and passed the second and third. I ran mile 1.5 is 11:15 back at home(smoker and chunky) and ran it in like 15 minuted the first time. Second I got 12:51 and last was 11:49, came to A school and ran one in 11:09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

Now that I smoke again and drink alot, I couldn't run it that fast. Just run alot now, do some sit ups and push ups, do your PQA and get E2(written in your contract or your SOL-seen it happen a crap load) read everything before signing. And get ready to clean most of your day.

13. squidville_1975

squidville_1975
    Expand Collapse

And how much time do you have on the pond right now, Mr. Ruler? :laughabove:

14. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Salty Collar

Not very long, but the statement still stands, I come from a long line of Engineers. HT's, BT's, EM's, EN's and one AM(not an engineer, but close enough)

15. barney-5-0

barney-5-0
    Expand Collapse

I retired as a DCC(SW) last September, I am not sure what an AV is either, I heard a lot of talk about the Navy doing away with "a" schools and streamlining a lot of training. Most of the good training I received was OJT in the fleet. Lots of good poop to learn on your ship. There is a reason that God gave you 2 ears and only one mouth. Think about that while you are in boot camp and out in the fleet.

16. Fox

Fox
    Expand Collapse
    Varmit Control

Ex-Navy Corpsman here.

My advise is that you get in shape before you ship out for basic training. You want to be able to run two miles. Get strong with the push-ups and sit-ups.

When in A-school, focus on getting good grades.

BTW, where you going to boot camp? I went to Great Lakes RTC and Great Lakes Naval Hospital Corps School. This was back in '89.

17. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Salty Collar

Still here in Great Mistakes FOX. I should be graduating school this comming week. Then out to the sea I go.

18. Fox

Fox
    Expand Collapse
    Varmit Control

Very good!

Do they still drill with M1 rifles at RTC?

19. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Salty Collar

:laughabove:

NO! Boot was LAME:rofl: I went in thinking the worst and came out with confusion.

20. KIDCOP

KIDCOP
    Expand Collapse
    Rifle Master
    Millennium Member

Some good advise so far. I believe AV's work on aircraft electronic's.

Keep your nose clean, think with the head on your shoulders, not the little one.

Don't be afraid to talk to your seniors. Even the crusty old salts put their pants on one leg at a time.

Hard working guys get away with a heck of a lot more than those who don't know how to work. It matters not what you happen to be doing at the tme, TAD, mess cooking, that sort of thing. You will have your turn in the barrel, everyone does. But it will end. Always be on time and ready to go to work. Having the rep with your superviors as being a team player (read hard worker) and you do forget something or did something bad is sometimes over looked once or twice. Being a smart azz lazy fool, forget/do something and the hammer falls, Bam! out the Navy you go.

Never ask WHY? Nothing pissed me off more than some snot nose asking me why every stinking time I asked for something to be done. Do it first with out question and then ask why if you have too. Sometimes the big picture is not always evident to you.

Don't brown nose.....everyone hates those guys. Hard work and the desire to know your craft gets you the good things. Who do you think they would send out of the shop TAD? A hard worker who does what is asked or the guy who is just there to get a pay check? Who do you think they are going to send out on a good deal? The hard worker or the lazy azz?