Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

New Dan Wesson SuperMag :)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Feb 18, 2012.

1. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    I was browsing my local shops this morning and found this in the case. Its a like new 6" Dan Wesson SuperMag chambered in 357 Maximum. As you can see, the bluing and grips perfect. Other than a slight turn line on the cylinder, it looks brand new. I haven't bought a revolver in nearly two years, but this really caught my eye. They're hard to come by and nearly impossible to come by in this condition.

I've always felt the bluing on Dan Wesson revolvers rivaled anything from Colt or Smith & Wesson and this gun proves it. Thye grips are very nice and show a great deal of grain.

Before this, I had two spaces left for revolvers in my collection. I said that the last two would be classic S&Ws. Well, my last ONE will be a classic Smith. I just couldn't pass up this rare beauty.

Of course, it will fire 357magnum and 38Special as well. 38 special will feel like 22lr in this 63oz revolver. Its a big wheelgun, but its perhaps the nicest Dan Wesson I've ever seen. As many know, I like the rare stuff. :supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    I have a small SuperMag family now.

My 445 now has a little brother. :cool:

3. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Feb 6, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I really like it a lot. It is gorgeous, and you dont see too many black revolvers. I had never even heard of 357 max before now(I had to look it up on wiki)
  4. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Yeah, its not common. Neither is the 445 SuperMag.

I believe the Ruger Blackhawk first chambered it.
  5. Good guns I love my 15-2!
  6. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Yeah, they're very heavy duty revolvers.

The SuperMags are the only DW revolvers I own.
  7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    It is really nice. I like that it doesn't have any screws on the side of the frame.

I don't know what model Dan Wesson .357 mag revolver I was using to qualify for CHL Instructor (it was my neighbors) but the damn thing malf'd on me because the screw by the trigger guard that held the trigger assy fell out. I was very very lucky to find it on the outdoor range, put it back together and finish qualifying.
  8. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004

I also like the styling of them.
  9. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I'd buy that if it was a decent deal. I was just saying that I much prefer the smooth sided frames. Though I am not knowledgeable enough to know which ones those are exactly... just some have screws and some don't. :supergrin:
  10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Congrats Brian. Very clean looking gun. Looks like it is NIB.
  11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    You need the Maximum chambered Blackhawk to go with it.
  12. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Very nice!!!!!!

Congratulations, bac!!
    My DW 44VH-8 (w/ VH-4) is one of my favorite revolvers!!

Incredibly accurate!!

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Very handsome revolver. And unique.
  14. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Outstanding... They should make a snubbie.

What is .357 Max's near-equal?
  15. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Nice find Brian. Dan Wesson is about the only revolver chambered for the .357 Max that didn't have problems with eroding the top strap.
  16. Congrats!

Is this your first DW? If so, welcome to the club :)

Here's my .44mag. It was my first handgun purchase, 20 some years ago. Shown here with 8", I also have a 4".

I assume you got the DW wrench and cylinder gap with it? I think you can still get new barrels and sights direct from the factory.

17. For me the accuracy was what got me..I had heard about them being accurate. when I took mine to the range i had forgotten my regular targets(or used them all and forgot to buy new) the only thing I had left was some walmart paper plates id sometimes use for closer up(5-12 yards) 9mm/snub nose .38 special targets..figured they well represented the size of the vitals at that distance of a man size target as they were tea saucer size not the big dinner ones...I had those and some peal off orange dots so I pealed off a orange dot put it dead center hung it out at 25 yards went back to my bag rest and lined it kid says are you aiming at that small dot i said yes...first shot went dead center of the dot...he was amazed(I was too)! I figured it would be somewhere in the vicinity but not smack through the middle first shot lol.
  18. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan

Jul 15, 2010
    Congrats Brian! You're on a roll lately. :thumbsup:
  19. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    I have one just like it. Love it. Had 2 different Rugers in .357 Maximum. Both were badly out of time. Just bought a Dan Wesson 741 in .41 mag, and also have a model 15 with the pistol pak.
  20. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx