close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New crossbow

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by pennlineman, Sep 4, 2012.

1. pennlineman

pennlineman

Just picked up a new crossbow yesterday at Cabela's in Wheeling. I handled and shot the ones that fit me well. It was between a Parker Tornado and Excalibur Phoenix. I choose the Excaliber. The bows have a reputation for being very tough and have a lot of features I like. No cams, pulleys or cables, it is a recurve design. This allows me to change my string without going to the shop. I can also decock this bow without firing. In the end simplicity and ruggedness was my choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can't wait for archery season, I've never taken a deer with any kind of bow so I'm looking forwaed to the challenge. The last three years I've managed to take a deer with weapons I've never done so with before. One was with a handgun, my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt with my own handloads. The next year I took one with a flintlock muzzzle loader, with my own handload. :whistling:

Finally last year I used my US Rifle 1917 made in 1917 to take a pretty nice buck. I hope my string of good luck continues on into this upcoming season.

2. Kloogee

Kloogee

Congrats on the new toy! I've been contemplating a crossbow too. In my state, the archery season is like 3 months long and crossbows are allowed. It's very tempting! How much did you pick it up for?

3. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Never been into archery, but it seems like a lot of fun. I want to buy a bow and a crossbow in the future.

4. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

Looks like it'd be fun!!

5. pennlineman

pennlineman

Thanks guys! :wavey:

Here in Pa they had a three year trail period for the crossbows. They decided to make them permanant after last season, so I made my move. The bow cost about $750 after taxes and all. It came with everything pictured.

6. smokin762

smokin762