close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Colt LE6920

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by CAInstructorTX, Jan 18, 2010.

1. CAInstructorTX

CAInstructorTX
    Expand Collapse

Well, finally went down the black rifle road I guess you could say. Bought it recently, and so far, have no rounds through it, but handling it, I don't see any problems I've sometimes read about concerning fit and finish. I've never really seen that problem for myself, but hey, I might just be lucky. Anyway, I left the shop with a Magpul MOE stock put on, and have on order a MIAD grip kit, and MOE forend. I'm going to leave the detachable carrying handle on, and just buy an optic mount to go on top, (snicker all you want, but call me old fashioned, I like the old school carrying handle look.) I have no need for a quad rail either, ( I haven't reached that rank in the Armchair Army), so rails and vertical foregrips and the like serve no purpose to me. It's a range/fun gun, and I'm not trying to fool myself into thinking I'll be clearing a house with this weapon any time soon. Haha. Besides, for a lot of people, not everyone, but most enthusiasts, there is no practical need for a laser, a designator, vertical foregrip, 3 flashlights, a magnifier, 2 optics, and a kitchen sink to be hanging off a gun anyway, regardless of who you are (see: import cars covered bumper to bumper with vinyl stickers). So yeah, keeping it light, simple, and that should do fine. So far all I have on it is the buttstock, but as soon as I get the rest in, as well as pick an optic to throw on it, I'll post some photos. Wish me luck.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 CAInstructorTX, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

Congrats on the new rifle. How much OTD?

:cool:

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Congrats on a nice rifle.

Don't assume what works for you is what others need/want.

4. CAInstructorTX

CAInstructorTX
    Expand Collapse

I never assume that my view is the end-all/be-all. I'm simply stating what does work for me. To each his own, and for the individuals that shoot 100 or so rounds a year, with all that stuff on their rifle, so be it, and for those who shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds a year with the same setup, same thing. Point is, buy what you want, spend what you want, but in the end, the most important thing you can buy for your gun, besides range time, is bullets to go with it. K.I.S.S. comes to mind, but anyway, to each his own. Makes for sexy magazine covers though, right? Didn't mean to step on toes, just my humble opinion.

#4 CAInstructorTX, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  5. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Here, hope this gives you some ideas on how to do it right... sounds pretty close to what you want, but no kitchen sink.

[​IMG]

6. Arr6

Arr6
    Expand Collapse
    .com

Congrats. I love my 6920. I like it keep it stock and still have the iron sights. Might get a red dot optic but that's about it.

7. RUSH2112

RUSH2112
    Expand Collapse
    Big Member

Speaking strictly fun factor, lasers and holosights are nifty for a while, but in the end I enjoy iron sights much more.

@ lawman800 that is the greatest picture ever. (The key ring :rofl: )

8. CAInstructorTX

CAInstructorTX
    Expand Collapse

couldn't have said it better myself Rush, and yes, that photo is awesome, I'm sure there's room for a sink somewhere on there.

9. Vigilant

Vigilant
    Expand Collapse

WHAAAAAAAT? No bayonet?

Rookie. :supergrin:

10. internal

internal
    Expand Collapse

Why does it matter what other people spend their money on since that seems the be the true focus of your thread.

11. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Sorry about the bayonet but I think the Swiss Army knife covered it.

12. Navitimer

Navitimer
    Expand Collapse

Congrats on the 6920 - they are the gold standard as it relates to M4s. Enjoy!

13. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

I can understand the desire to shoot something obsolete. I get a kick out of firing my cap and ball revolvers and precussion single shot 50 caliber Kentucky pistol as well. But when it is time to hit the target with precision and speed glass beats iron.
    Here is my Colt. I love it.
    [​IMG]
    Pat

#13 Alaskapopo, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  14. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

I agree.

I actually like irons and all, but if I have the choice, I would much prefer quality optics. They make you faster and more effective.

15. RUSH2112

RUSH2112
    Expand Collapse
    Big Member

Like I said, for pure enjoyment, I have more fun using iron sights. I would never go to a two way range and leave an aimpoint sitting on the dresser.

I forgot to say congrats on the 6920.

Congrats on the 6920!!

#15 RUSH2112, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  16. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

To each his own. I enjoy competing with a rifle too and optics makes shooting more fun as you can hit things faster and further out. I also enjoy shooting a gun with just irons from time to time.
    [​IMG]
    Pat

#16 Alaskapopo, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  17. Starbelly

Starbelly
    Expand Collapse

Congrats. I Bought my first AR a little while back, also a Colt 6920, and I love mine. Like you, it will be kept mostly stock, but I did end up trying a cheap red dot that I bought for my 10/22 and It is really fun to shoot with. I will end up getting some high end optics for it, but that will probably be it... I will spend my money on ammo and spare parts as need. So far, I am getting close to 1000 rnds and no hiccups of any kind. I do have to admit that the red dot does make it more fun to shoot, you just raise it up from low ready and where ever the dot is, that's where the bullet goes. I do wonder if I am missing some valuable technique by not working on getting better with the irons though. Maybe I will switch back to the carry handle rear sight?

18. CAInstructorTX

CAInstructorTX
    Expand Collapse

Optics or no optics, it's always a good idea to atleast learn and practice the fundamentals of rifle shooting with iron sights. Whether or not you ever use them practically, it's still a valuable skill to atleast have in your arsenal. And going back to what I said at first, I'm not trying to take away from what anyone chooses to put on their weapon, I'm simply stating what I choose to have on mine, and why. My idea of a simple weapon platform comes from experience, and in my mind, for my purposes, I'm setting mine up accordingly. Obviously that's hard to explain to some, but can't win 'em all I guess. Anyway, that's the rifle I chose to invest in, and the modifications I chose to invest in as well, and that's the reason for this post, as well as to get some feedback on the setup.

19. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

With respect in your original post you made a value judgment about what you felt most people needed.

"Besides, for a lot of people, not everyone, but most enthusiasts, there is no practical need for a laser, a designator, vertical foregrip, 3 flashlights, a magnifier, 2 optics, and a kitchen sink to be hanging off a gun anyway, regardless of who you are (see: import cars covered bumper to bumper with vinyl stickers)."

Myself and some others gave you feedback and refuted that claim. If your happy with your choice that is what matters. However if this is a serious gun for self defense the basic approach is not the best. The so called keep it simple stupid is stupid. Anything that increases my chance of winning (gunfight or rifle match depending on the gun) is going to be put on the rifle.
    Pat

20. DasBulk

DasBulk
    Expand Collapse

You make a good point. As far as lasers and lights are concerned.
    However, I think we can all agree that a laser target designator unit sitting on top of your hand guard is dead weight. It serves ABSOLUTELY no use in the civilian market. Whens the last time you heard anyone call up an airstrike with laser guided JDAMs to deter a home invasion.
    Im a big fan of the KISS rifle like CAInstructor, but I can see the benefit of a good weapon mounted flashlight and maybe a laser as well. VFGs and the like are all personal preference, but I would much rather see that user become proficient in a STANDARD set up before going out and buying the newest and baddest tactical tupperwear the same day he buys his AR. Same concept of being proficient on irons before you go out and buy glass that cost more than your wives wedding ring. Learn to shoot, and shoot well, a standard off the shelf rifle. Then, if you still feel like it, roony that thing up the way you want.