Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

new ccw

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by voomie, Nov 14, 2011.

1. voomie

Sep 23, 2011
    I just filed my application for my ccw in Ohio and I am waiting for them to process it. Now I am curious if any of you had tips for someone new to carrying? My carry piece will be a glock 17. I know a full size is not recommended but I shoot better with a full size than compact so I dont mind dressing around it.
  2. MLittle

Jun 24, 2010
    As long as you select the proper holster and belt and are able to conceal effectively, I don't see any problem with your selection. Me...I'm retired, so my clothing tends to be very casual (jeans, shorts, sport shirts, t-shirts) with most my shirts worn outside my pants so concealing a full size firearm (for me a Sig Sauer P220) is no problem. However; if you still work for a living and say have to wear a suit for work, your parameters of carry are a little more difficult to meet. For me the most difficult decision was how to carry. Tried on the back of my hip, but that wasn't comfortable for me. I'm left handed and I carry in waist band in front of my hip (appendix carry).

3. failsafe

Oct 25, 2003
    Well, you might want to consider another Glock, say a 19 or a 26..They are much easier to conceal and the holster options are almost limitless...Same ammo, and really the 19 can produce good groupings from a knowledgeable person...
    Leave the 17 for open carry and range...
  4. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Your holster will be the #1 factor in concealing effectively. In general IWB (inside the waistband) holsters offer the best concealment. I'm a fan of

Adjusting the cant, ride height and position of the holster will make large differences in how well you conceal. Also, if your situation allows a loose cover shirt, vest or sport jacket really help.
  5. Since you asked for tips, and since I don't know anything about you other than this post, here goes:

You will find yourself either getting a smaller gun or else not carrying the 17 much :)

The tip is to be on the lookout for when you don't carry. That would be the time to ask yourself if you'd carry a smaller gun if you had one.

Nothing wrong with the 17, I have one. Also a 26, PM9, 642, and LCP. :)
  6. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    I’ve lived in Florida (Brevard County) since 1985 and have been carrying every day since 1988. One thing I’ve found out is that you can carry anything you want to and no one will notice.
    I started off carrying a LW .45 Commander and have carried a BHP, a couple of full-size Witnesses, various full-size 1911s, Glock 19 and 17, a 4” XD .45, a CZ75 and some wheelguns. These days I carry an XDm 3.8 9mm with the full-size grip.
    I carried a 4” M-29 in an OWB holster along with 2 speedloaders for a month just for fun. At 5’9” and 145 lbs, it was obvious as hell. It stuck out a mile. No one noticed a thing.

When I first started carrying a gun in 1988, I was paranoid about “printing” and always careful to be sure my gun was covered. When the wind blew my shirt or jacket open I was quick to get it closed again.

I’ve quit doing that. Now, when I’m walking through a parking lot and my shirt blows back, revealing my gun, I let it go. If people are close by, I’ll cover the gun, but normally it’s not worth the trouble. People are far too wrapped up in their own lives to spend their time examining you. Unless you're a supermodel or on fire, no one will pay any attention to you at all. No one’s looking for guns. No one will notice any bulges under your clothes. Don’t let the fear that you’ll be “made” keep you from carrying a major-caliber handgun. Your G17 is just fine.

I’m strongly opposed to any method of carrying a gun that requires two hands to access the gun. If you can’t easily brush your cover garment aside and grab the gun, you’re asking for trouble. If you’re attacked from close range (very likely) you may not have both hands available. You may be fighting your attacker off with one hand and unable to get your gun out with the other hand.
  7. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    If you're set on the 17, get a holster that is very adjustable in both height and cant (like the Comp-tac MTAC). With longer grips you generally want more cant so the butt of the gun doesn't stick out so far.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. voomie

Sep 23, 2011
    This is the holster I got. When I chose the 17, it fit my hand better than the 19 and was only a slight bit bigger so unless I have a big issue while carrying, I am probably not going to change what I am carrying. As the saying goes, carrying should be comforting not necessarily comfortable.
  9. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    It all depends on you. There are people out there who carry full size guns everyday and have no problems. Most of them carry in a CB Superstuck or Galco Kingtuk. Maybe consider a vertical shoulder holster. For me I could hide my Glock 22 (same size as 17) no problem standing up but sitting down was another issue. Just find what works for you. If the 17 it too much gun to concealed consider the 19 or 26 or maybe stick with the 17 but open carry.
  10. If you have confidence in the G17, it's a good choice. The difference between the G17 and G19 is .47" in length and .43" in height.
  11. EAJuggalo

Jan 17, 2005
    Eagan, MN
    It all depends on your size and what you feel comfortable with. My usual carry guns are either a G21SF in an MTAC or a Taurus 650 (J Frame) in a Sideguard Holsters qwik clip. I'm going to disagree with Hamster, the most important part of your carry rig is your belt. Even the best holsters will be hard to conceal effectively with a crappy belt but even an el cheapo uncle mike's can conceal well with a good belt. I'm partial to Looper Leather's Kydex reinforced belt but there are lots of good options out there, just make sure it's a gun belt.

Like Gator said, the difference between a 17 and 19 is a half inch, is that really going to make that much of a difference to your concealment?
  12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Yeah, before we have to listen to how uncomfortable carrying is, buy yourself a GUN belt. Not "a good, thick belt" but one that is made for carrying a gun. Beltman, Wilderness Instructor, Galco, Bianchi, whatever, just make sure it's a gun belt.

13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    As said a good holster and belt and dress around the firearm. I carry either a G22, same size, or G20SF bigger and have no problems.
    I like big and fast in bullets. :supergrin:
  14. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    If you're willing to take the proper steps for concealment, then there is no reason why a G17 won't work for a carry gun. As others have said, a GUN BELT is the foundation of your carry setup, don't skimp out on the belt. You can go with a Wilderness 5 stitch for under $50, or up to well over $100 for leather, but a gun belt is worth its weight in gold when you carry a gun everyday all day.
  15. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    imho yes!
  16. RRTX11

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Texas

I use my 17 for open carry on the ranch, range and competition. Killed a hog with it last week. EDC a 19. It is not that big of a difference....but it is.
  17. failsafe

Oct 25, 2003
    Well, there is roughly 1/2 difference in bbl length, but there is also about 1/2" added grip length to the 17..That's where many have a hard time concealing the pistol without printing..I have a 22 a 23 and a 32..The compact 23 and 32 suits my needs.
  18. DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    She seems to think so... :whistling:

I think the bigger issue you are going to have carrying the 17 is weight. There is a difference between a fully loaded 17,19,26. Personally I carry a 26 everyday and if you add the grip extension you will notice very little difference between that and the 17 or 19 IMO.

And as others have said - BUY A GOOD GUN BELT!!!!!
    FWIW: My setup is a Crossbreed belt with a Crossbreed Supertuck. I wear it at least 12 hours daily in business casual clothing and haven't been spotted except by another fellow that also had a CBST.
  19. EAJuggalo

Jan 17, 2005
    Eagan, MN
    Look at the first sentence of my reply, it all depends on how big of a person you are and what you're comfortable with. I'm 6'2" 235 lbs I can conceal the grip on a 17 or 21 much easier than a guy who is 5'8" 140. I've also found the spot, holster and belt combo that makes the wife surprised when I take off the gun at the end of the day because she never knew I had it on.

There are people where that 1/2" will make a difference in concealment, I just don't believe it's nearly as many people as think so.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  20. voomie

Sep 23, 2011
    I got my license this morning but had to wait to after 4pm before their system had me on file. I have my first time carrying under my belt, no pun intended. Until I get a little more confident in my carry setup, I am going to carry without one in the camber. Some things I did notice. My 17 fully loaded isnt that heavy and even though my belt is fabric, I was never unsure of the position of my gun. Here is a belt similar to mine. I was only out for an hour to go to walmart and pick the wife up from work, so I will need to test out my set up some more. One question I do have is, I was carrying at the 6 o'clock position because that is what I thought would conceal best but is that the best position for carry?