Glock Talk banner

New CCW Permit Holder with a Question

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  eracer 
#1 ·
I have to dress in a suit and tie for work, or at the very least, dress pants and a polo shirt or button-down shirt. I'm looking to conceal a G19 IWB. I'm 5'8 and 200lbs. Obviously with a suit coat on I don't worry about printing at all. But, when I'm wearing just a polo shirt or a button-down shirt and dress pants, and the shirts must be tucked in, what has worked for people so as not to print? I'm actually thinking AIWB might be the ticket. What has been the experience of people that have to dress professionally? Also, I spend quite a bit of time sitting in a vehicle (sales guy), so comfort is a factor as well.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

#2 ·
I prefer IWB strongside at 3:30-4:00, with a reinforced belt and trousers a size larger than usual. No printing at all. Shouldn't be a problem with a G19, but in my experience thinner like M&P Shield, PPS, BP9CC, Kahrs, LC9 would be a bit easier and possibly more comfortable. I really like IWB holsters like the Crossbreed supertuck/minituck, High Noon, or the MTAC minotaur. Good luck!

Tommato

#3 · (Edited)
Good belt, good holster and I can conceal a G21SF under a tucked in polo or button down all day. A couple words of advice, check the belt loop size on your dress and suit pants. They may vary between 1.25" and 1.5". Personally I'm partial to the MTAC from Comp-Tac sitting on a Looper Kydex reinforced belt, total cost for the rig should be about $130. I'd be very leery of AIWB if you're going to spend a lot of time sitting down, that just doesn't seem comfortable with a 4" barrel.

And really it's only a concern for another month or two, then winter sets in and you could carry that 20 easily.

#4 ·
Comp Tac model Ctac at about 4:30 with clips that match the belt color. You NEED a good gun belt to spread the weight around. A belt from TheBeltman.net has worked for years for me. Never had a problem concealing a 19 with a tucked in dress shirt.

#5 ·
I've been carrying a G19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. My observations...

- Once you find a comfortable position for the holster, sitting in a chair or in a car is not a problem.
- Printing with a shirt and dress pants is not a problem either, as long as your clothes are the right size (not too tight).
- My biggest problem is the shirt getting untucked during physical activity (bending, working under the car etc). Couldn't find a perfect solution yet.

#7 ·
Any opinions on the KingTuk? I have a LOT of Cabela's points and I am thinking of ordering one of those.
Yeah, I wore mine twice. The second time I saw the hammer of my Sig starting back when I was reholstering.

It's in the drawer now and will never be worn again.

A lot of friends wear ankle holsters with the keep-up garter when they're in jeans or tucked in polos.

#8 ·
I'm the same size as you and while I can get away with a 19, i still think it's a bit big. Walking, sitting etc, isn't the issue. It's bending that I feel it prints too much. This is just wearing t shirt and pants. I bought the m&p shield for warmer weather. You can wear spandex and not print. Lol. I always wear a iwb Crossbreed style holster.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
Any opinions on the KingTuk? I have a LOT of Cabela's points and I am thinking of ordering one of those.
I have one for my G17, and I love it. I don't have to worry about a hammer though.

#10 ·
I've been carrying a G19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. My observations...

- Once you find a comfortable position for the holster, sitting in a chair or in a car is not a problem.
- Printing with a shirt and dress pants is not a problem either, as long as your clothes are the right size (not too tight).
- My biggest problem is the shirt getting untucked during physical activity (bending, working under the car etc). Couldn't find a perfect solution yet.
I am 6'1" and 240ish, and my shape makes it a little easier to pull this off than if I was "skinny", but I carry my G19 and sometimes my G21 in a CBST while dressed in slacks with tucked in shirt/tie all the time. No one ever notices. I got the "J" clips but cut of the bottom of the "J" so that it just hooks over my slacks but is still concealed by my belt. Works great. You have to find the "sweet spot" in terms of how tight your belt is and how deep you tuck your shirt so you don't print and so you don't pull your holster out with your shirt when you go to draw.

#11 ·
They also make belts with velcro lining and then there are some holsters with velcro clips that go behind the belt so that nothing is exposed. I've not personally used one, but they make them. I think Comp-Tac has them as an option.

#12 ·
You have to gear up around your specific body type... Its just something your are going to have to experiment with, as there is no easy way around it. One holster works perfectly for my buddy and prints like crazy on me, and we are very similar in build and weight. I spent alot of money buying what others suggested until I finally just found a good holster by chance. Good luck

#13 · (Edited)
"Yeah, I wore mine twice. The second time I saw the hammer of my Sig starting back when I was reholstering."

"It's in the drawer now and will never be worn again."

HerrGlock,

What was the trigger catching on that started the hammer moving back during re-holstering? Is it a defect in the holster? It "appears" to be extremely similar to the CBST, which many people seems to like.

#17 ·
Since I had the Cabela's points, I ordered a King Tuk. If I like this type of holster, but not this brand of holster, I'll look at some of the other options. I'm also thinking about ordering a HighNoon Centerfold or Hidden Ally for AIWB. Same line of thinking, if I can carry AIWB and just don't like the holster, at least I have a starting point.

#18 ·
I am a chubby guy. I carry my G19 in a Minotaur MTAC tuckable holster with VClips. I have a great belt from Beltman with the Velcro lining, so the holster is uber concealed under button or polos, in jeans or suit pants. I also have the tuckable IWB magazine pouch too which I use to counterbalance the weight of the gun. http://www.tuckergunleather.com/single-iwb-magazine-pouch/

#19 ·
One advantage of the CBST over some of the others mentioned. Horsehide. It is worth having especially in warmer environments. I wear khakis and a dress shirt everyday and never had a problem with printing, nor has anyone ever noticed the regular clips on the holster.

#20 ·
"Yeah, I wore mine twice. The second time I saw the hammer of my Sig starting back when I was reholstering."

"It's in the drawer now and will never be worn again."

HerrGlock,

What was the trigger catching on that started the hammer moving back during re-holstering? Is it a defect in the holster? It "appears" to be extremely similar to the CBST, which many people seems to like.
Don't know and don't much care. I've worn IWB holsters for 20+ years and I have an idea on how to holster and draw from IWB. Once I saw the hammer start back, that showed me something was pulling the trigger. I made sure my shirt was not inside the holster and took the whole thing off. It's not worth getting shot in the hip/leg.

I've since gone to a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and I couldn't be happier. I've worn Galco Royal Guard and some Versa Max 2 copy that I cannot remember the name of offhand and never had an issue with any of them.

If anyone wants a worn twice King Tuk for a Sig 220/226/245, tell me. I'll sell it for 1/2 retail and the actual shipping.

#21 ·
I'm a large fellow, and for me the biggest problem with IWB is keeping my pants up. Those of you who have svelte figures have bigger hips than gut, and pants naturally stay in position. For me, not so much.

Fortunately, my pocket carry gun fits into my daily-wear BDU's, and also into khakis if I need to be a little dressier. It won't work with dress pants, but if I'm wearing dress pants I'm wearing a suit, and then I can carry OWB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.