close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Browning Hi Power-slide seizes up

Discussion in 'The Browning Hi Power Club' started by leeward419, Nov 30, 2010.

1. leeward419

leeward419

Feb 7, 2010
    43.12 / 77.67
    Hi, My dad bought a new hi power, slide kept seizing up with round in chamber, couldnt move it back or forward, kept pressuring the slide back and forth, eventually got it cleared and empty. sent pistol back, they repaired it, wouldnt say what was wrong, even after calling. Just got it back, doing the same thing. anyone know what might be the problem, or likely suspect issues?
    Thanks for any information

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

Mar 21, 2000
    Alabama
    Oversized ammo, or undersized chamber/leade?

Try removing the barrel, and dropping a loose round into the chamber to see if it goes in and out easily and completely. Also look at the round that was "locked up" and see if there are any rifling marks on the bullet.

3. leeward419

leeward419

Feb 7, 2010
    43.12 / 77.67
    I will Check, I am going to ask him to save the ammo, so we can measure a typcial round from the box, (WWB from walmart) , I am leaning towards the undersized chamber/Leade, Have you seen this before.
    thanks again for the input!

4. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

Mar 21, 2000
    Alabama
    Haven't seen it specifically in a BHP. I have seen out of spec ammo lock up other guns though, most recently a batch of Speer Gold Dots locking up my personal Seecamp LWS32. I had some .223 ammo lock up several different personal/issued AR's. I also has a specific lot of Winchester Ranger ammo that was inconsistent in functioning in previously reliable custom 1911's, that had been tested and proven with other lots of the same ammo.

WWB is typically decent ammo, but marketed to a certain price-point, which would indicate some QC/QA measures are more lax than higher priced ammo. Also, with the not-so-long-ago shortage of ammo causing ammo factories to ramp up production, I wouldn't be surprised at all if even more QC/QA steps are relaxed than normal.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Nov 4, 2004
    NH
  6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Make sure the barrel/slide locking lugs are clean and deburred and the gun is properly assembled (ie: guide rod not upside down)

7. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

Ever learn what the problem was? From experience, I'd check the guide rod installation - you can guess what my experience was. ;)

And Commander Cody!!!

8. merlewag

merlewag

Mar 31, 2007
    The only problem I ever had like this was when I used Blazer aluminum ammo. The BHP would shoot it a while and then it would refuse it. It wouldn't extract.

9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
  10. Bret

Bret Crimping Master

Jan 21, 2003
    North Georgia
    leeward419, what was the problem? I'm here to learn.

11. leeward419

leeward419

Feb 7, 2010
    43.12 / 77.67
    Bret, as it turns out, the chamber is abnormally tight on this pistol, we cannot utilize lead bullets, (lead typically run a thousandth or so larger in diameter). The lead bullet just got stuck in the chamber. It took a while to determine the cause. It is corrected with a KKM barrel. The Brownings are noted for being tight Ive been told. H20-50 had it right. It was undersizedchamber.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  12. Bret

Bret Crimping Master

Jan 21, 2003
    North Georgia
    Thanks for the update. That's a little bit more information to add to my cache of knowledge.

13. vmr357

vmr357

Sep 5, 2003
    Utah
    I have two Hi Powers. One has a Bar-Sto barrel in it and it won't shoot anything but factory ammo. Their barrels are quite tight.

I bought an ammo can of reloads at a gun show once. It would jam those cartridges about half way to 3/4 of the way into the chamber and your were stuck. I couldn't force it shut and it was a bear to retract the slide an get the cartridge out. I had to drive one out with a dowel down the barrel and some taps with a mallet. The same ammo feeds fine in my Sig and the other HP. I ended up taking the barrel out of the gun and using it as a gauge to check that batch of ammo. I sorted out over 200 rounds that wouldn't drop cleanly into that barrel.

As long as the slide is oiled or greased, I've never had any trouble with an HP if I used good ammo.

Vern

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  14. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    I have a stock MKII and several stock MKIIIs that rarely see anything but reloaded lead. It was not a big deal at all to work up a reliable load for them. I'd send a gun or barrel like that back for service.