close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New barrel specs for M&P 15 Sport

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by cyphertext, Feb 25, 2013.

1. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    For anyone in the market for the M&P 15 Sport, it appears that they have changed the barrel. On another forum, two members posted that their recent purchases of the Sport came with a 1/9 twist barrel, vs. the 1/8 twist previously on the Sport. I called S&W customer support to confirm, and "Joe" advised that they have changed the spec, and that the Sport will now ship with a Melonite treated, 1/9 twist barrel. If you want the 1/8 twist barrel, you will need to purchase the M&P 15T.

Still trying to confirm if it is still 5R rifling or if it is the traditional rifling.

2. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    That's unfortunate. I thought using the 1/8 was a pretty ingenious decision. It's a great all-around twist rate.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    They are probably sourcing the Sport 1/9 barrels at a lower cost.

4. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    I agree. The barrel was the high point of the rifle! Glad I got mine last year before they did this.

5. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Again, why dick around with something that works?

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Because someone was an idiot.

Anyone know if S&W was doing the 1/8 barrels in house, or if they were outsourced?

7. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    They were produced by Thompson Center, which S&W owns, from everything that I have read.

8. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    Grant from G&R Tactical has also confirmed that there will be no more barrels with 5R rifling for the Sport. The 1:8 twist with 5R rifling barrels are being held for the "premium" lines, the VTAC II, the MOE, and the 15T.

Grant said that the S&W rep told him the reason for the change is the 5R rifled barrels were a production bottleneck and no one wants to make them.

9. Made Man

Made Man Glock-o-holic

Nov 1, 2004
    Eastern Kentucky
    Me too.

Sent from up range, at about 3100 fps