close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Army Chopper Found Unsafe

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Blitzer, Nov 12, 2007.

1. New Army Chopper Found Unsafe

Associated Press | November 10, 2007

<!--- End Article Title/Source/Date ---><!--- Start Article Content --->

2. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN

Jan 2, 2005
    air conditioners produce heat too.. cheap (ha!) fix for a crappy aircraft.. might suggest a change in aircraft eh..

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
  4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1

Nov 21, 2004
    Georgia
    Just get more Blackhawks. They are a proven design and they work. If it aint broke dont fix it.

5. Sapperstang

Sapperstang Paratrooper

Oct 19, 2004
    NC
    Exactly what I was thinking.

6. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

May 13, 2007
    S.E. Pa
    Who made money on this deal?

7. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Aug 12, 2000
    Tennessee
    The LUH flyoff competition included the Bell 412EP (made in Canada), MD Explorer (made in USA), the AgustaWestland US139 (Italian/British), and the EC145 entry by EADS (French/German) which was ultimately selected by the Army. Initially they will be manufactured in Germany until the American Eurocopter facility in Columbus, Mississippi finishes expansion.

The concern is not that our sissy boy Army pilots can't hang because it's hot. Our OH58D, CH47, and UH60 crews in Iraq are testament to that. (although those models can be flown with doors open or removed for ventilation The EC145 is not designed for that)

The LUH is basically an off-the-shelf civilian helicopter (EC145) never intended to be operated without air conditioning. The instruments and "dash" components used in modern helicopters (glass cockpit) cannot tolerate extreme heat and need to be cooled, just like any other computer device. This particular model also has an extensive amount of windscreen glass increasing the "greenhouse effect." Why the Army spec'd no a/c? I don't know. The original AH-1 Cobra came without a/c, too, but it was subsequently added for the same reasons. I do know that it will be more expensive to retrofit than to have included it from the start.

The LUH isn't intended to replace the Blackhawk. It isn't in the same league. The Blackhawk is seen as overkill for many if not most of our Stateside missions that could be done with a smaller and less costly helicopter. This also has the side benefit of freeing up some of the Stateside Blackhawks for overseas duty.

The EC145 is well thought of in the civilian community and used extensively as an air ambulance. It is used to do two patient transports but it's tight. It is not a Huey. Put the a/c back in, fit it with engine barrier inlet filters like it should have had from the start, and I think it will be a good fit for its stated mission.

What blows my mind is if this is a "quick, off-the-shelf" solution, how long could we expect a new purpose built aircraft to take? The program began in early 2004 and the contract was awarded in 2005. The Army's new Bell ARH-70 project is even worse off.

8. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Rainwatcher

Jan 26, 2006
    Seattle
    There is absolutely no excuse for buying less than the best available product, be it body armor, bullets or helicopters. None.

"Buy American" only works if an American steps the hell up to the plate and produces the best product-- best from an 17 year old PFC's point of view.

"Those who don't understand history... " etc., etc.

Chau-Chau. To chrome-line or not to chrome-line. M4A1-75w. "It's self-cleaning." Einstein. .38 revolvers.

Get out of my face.

America does not have a monopoly on genius, invention or inspiration.

When it comes to our military gear, buy, develop or invent the BEST IN THE WORLD.

Regardless of anything else.

Carry on.

P.S. When the last modern, computer driven, fly-by-wire future Whiz-chopper is flown to the bone-yard, the crew will hitch a ride home in a Huey with bullet holes.

9. onesiphorus

onesiphorus

Oct 4, 2007
    Utah
    Nothing new about air conditioning, Cobras had it in VN.

10. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Aug 12, 2000
    Tennessee
    Yes, Cobras had an ECS in Viet Nam, but not initially. It was added in the field and subsequently incorporated in production models after it was realized that all that "glass" created too much greenhouse heat.

That was the point of my comment above, the Army doesn't seem to learn from previous mistakes.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I don't know, I was in the Army in the 80's when the whole Blackhawk fleet was groundd because they kept falling out of the sky, missing their rotors, for not good reason.