close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New addidtion to the family!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by razdog76, Dec 3, 2011.

1. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    I stopped at a local pawnshop that does not report to leadsonline to see if two dirtbags took their grandmother's jewelry there. I spot what looks like an Ithaca DS Police Special on the rack...

Outside of this forum, I am an Ithacaphile. Since the store owners know me by first and last name, they let me field strip to ensure nothing was too boogered up, some haggling, I walked out with it for $150.

It still has the original pistol grip stock set marked Ithaca, 8 round magazine, and rifle sights. The front sight assemble is MIA, but still has the retainer screw stuck in there. I was thinking mid 70's, and after I checked the serial number I confirmed it was made in 1976, and probably has no disconnector.

While the inside of the barrel has no pitting, the outside has been spray painted black. There are quite a few places where the paint flaked off exposing white metal, so I am pretty sure this is a blued model.

For about $60 worth of parts it will be good to go. Maybe this winter I will spring for a can of carb cleaner, and send it to Ithaca Gun, or Sycamore Hill Designs for a good bluing to finish the restoration.

2. Good find and best of luck with it. I just sent my Ithaca M37 Homeland Security barrel back to Ithaca for repair. Their customer service is outstanding and turn around time was less than a week. I dealt with Jeremiah and he couldn't have been more accommodating.....:wavey:

3. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Do you have an Ohio production gun, or one from the original company(s)?

I am very happy the company was salvaged, and successful enough to make it the past couple of years through this economy. I have 3 870's, plus an issued one, but there is just something about the M37.

I just wish they were able to develop a 3.5" inertia based auto.:wow:

4. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Just finished taking it completely apart. It is also missing a yoke assembly, but no big deal, I can still get all the parts for less than a c-not delivered. I may have to find out who the previous owner was, so I can kick'em straight in the junk for not cleaning it at all... still, no pitting so restoration will be easy.

Unfortunately, no slam fire. Still, if I could pull this out of my cruiser, and yell just once, "Hippies disperse," it would make my career.

Cochese, I'll get some pics posted soon.

5. It's an original Ithaca M37 (Homeland Security Edition) from the Ithaca (NY) factory. Purchased it in 2001 and the original Ithaca Gun went "under", IIRC,in 2005 or 06...I carried an Ithaca M37 on my prior department and just fell in love with it.

As info, Surefire made a replacement Forend Weapon Light for the M37 (Model 624) and I was just lucky enough to find one out there. Choate also has a basic Weapon light platform as well. It's a replacement synthetic forend with a small picatinny mount for a light. I found the Streamlight M3 works better with this system than a 2 cell Surefire.

Also, you may want to check the "weld" on forend tube where the action bar is connected. There was a problem with this part (the "weld") and the former Ithaca Gun Company was aware of it. You can either have the "weld" reinforced or just a buy a new forend tube from the new company. I found this out the hard way when I was attending a Tactical Shotgun Course. I was completing a course of fire when my shotgun sustained a "catastrophic failure". It seems that the "weld" failed where the action bar is attached to the forend tube.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  6. That was one of the "interesting" features of the M37.....:whistling:

7. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    Ithaca gun company is still in service?! I live in upstate NY about 30 miles north of Syracuse and I always thought the company had closed down but never really checked into it. My first deer was shot with an Ithaca Deerslayer 2 3/4 inch chamber. I love that gun but have since upgraded to other models and 3 inch rifled slugs, still have the Ithaca Deerslayer though, I'll never get rid of her... Anyways can someone confirm for me if it is still open and producing guns or not? You would think I'd know this since I'm in NY lol, heck we had a Remington plant here too but I have no clue if it's still open lol

8. Yup, they're back in business, now in Upper Sandusky (OH) and as mentioned, their customer service is outstanding.....:wavey:

http://www.ithacagun.com/

9. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Meh, it is very difficult to be able to actually hit anything, except by accident while slam firing. I now have a 1960 20ga Deerslayer and the 1976 DS Police Special made in Ithaca, and a late production DSII made in King Ferry. My DSII can deliver 3 Winchester Platinum Tip slugs into 1.25" at 100 yards from the bench.

I find the simplicity of the design, delivery of any slug I shoot within Minute Of Deer, how it feels lighter, is better balanced, and points better then the 870 the interesting features of the gun.:supergrin:

Last night I just wiped some of the grime off the inside of the receiver. It is going to be a bear to clean it up. The inside of the receiver has no pitting or rust, just grime, and dried oil, but the flash made it look that way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Here is a pic of the trigger group screw, lifter and lock screws, with the lifter and a shell stop taking a carb cleaner bath after 5 minutes.
    [​IMG]

The Browning designed trigger group, so simple, and yet so crusty. Fortunately it is all surface, and is soaking in CLP before it gets disassembled.
    [​IMG]

I sure hope none of you have felt compelled to make internal parts of a gun Krylon tacticool black. If you think the glint of metal on the shell lifter will give away your position from inside the gun, you may need some more duct tape to hold your SAPI plates on.

11. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Jeez I feel old. I remember when Ithaca was THE police shotgun to have.

Another good oldie no longer made to keep an eye out for is the S&W 3000.

12. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

May 6, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

In 1985, Our Department sold me one of their old Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer's for $50.00, because they went to S&W 3000's in the late 1970's. The S&W 3000's were great shotguns also (a Xerox copy of a Remington 870, it seemed).

The Ithaca was/is a, "Slam fire" and that's why I really like it. The department still has S&W 3000's for those who don't opt to carry an AR15.

Still have that Ithaca (here's a photo, sorry for the yellowish glow).

[​IMG]

13. Snafu

Snafu Millennium Member

Aug 11, 1999
    PA
    Sounds and looks to be a good deal. What really got my attention though is the following:

Still, if I could pull this out of my cruiser, and yell just once, "Hippies disperse," it would make my career.

Are you my long lost brother???

14. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Well, $80 worth of parts is enroute to my house, including to a new front sight assembly, magazine tube, and a magazine end cap.

I talked to "Jeremy" at the Ithaca plant that told me I would not have to worry about the paint at all, since it would be easily removed in their polishing process.

Last step before refinishing will be to detail strip the trigger group. I just hope that the CLP is going to allow those pesky retaining pins to budge.

15. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Southwestern Gawjaw
    Exactly what I thought, still wm sentimental about a
    37!

16. Is the refinish gonna be blue or parkerized?

17. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Funny you should mention that. I was showing it off to my best friend today, and I noticed that all of the exterior exposed metal was still bright white, and that the paint came off pretty easily with my fingernail in some areas leaving the fame color metal... looks like I scored a nickel DS Police Special!

Now I have to figure out how to get the paint off, which I believe is an epoxy finish. Acetone, and turpentine has no effect, and brake cleaner evaporates after discoloring it a little. I'm skeptical, but it looks like aircraft paint remover will do the job.

Additionally, I need to figure out who will do the best job at applying a nickel finish to the replacement parts.