close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New ABU's

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by crazypilot, Oct 2, 2007.

1. crazypilot

crazypilot ERAU Alumni '05

May 21, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    How many of you Airmen have been able to get a complete ABU set? I'm still missing boots and the tan belt. What's your opinion about them?

2. AFshooter

AFshooter

Jan 17, 2006
    Nebraska, USA
    I don't wear BDUs so I may not get the ABU for a while. If I do I will be buying some tan boots from the local surplus store (cheaper) since they are also allowed until the foliage green phase in date. I am also going to buy a Wilderness Instructor belt instead of the ABU one (which sucks BTW, I looked at them). My MCSS doesn't have the ABUs but the Surplus Store has the Proppers. No matter what they say, they ARE the same as sold in the MCSS. Look up the AAFES contract and it's Propper!

I have seen a few people wearing green boots in flight suits but I have seen no guidelines about this. In that case I would like to start wearing the tan shirt w/ my flight suit. I only saw one O wearing the tan and it was a LtCol.

I think they look good. The lightest color is more of a tan which I think is an improvement over the ACU with the grey tones.

I still think they should have gone with MultiCam.:thumbsup:

3. eodcole

eodcole

Jun 7, 2007
    Hershey, PA
    Who cares about the pattern. It's not going to camo against anything. I think they're entirely too thick. If you look at the uniform it's the same damn thing as the BDUs cept it has a gay pattern/colors and it's THICKER than the "winter weight" cammies. The "WAR FIGHTERS" is who they say this uniform was built for and well NONE of them want it, EOD included! It'll be great for someone sitting in an office with air conditioning. The fabric will more easily show stains from grease and grime(sorry flight line guys). The will be more likely to stain too(again sorry flight line guys). Everything about it just doesn't seem practical.

http://www.tigerstripeproducts.com/airforcetiger.htm

Below is an excerpt from the manufacturer's site linked above.

"Airman Battle Uniform, an advanced BATTLE uniform?

Note to the ranks: When we started the uniform project in 2002, USAF Leadership informed us that 97% of AF personnel did not need a Battle uniform but rather a barracks utility work uniform. Leadership ultimately received exactly what they asked for. The resulting uniform is that barracks utility work uniform.

The name actually does apply if one takes into consideration the Battle activity that USAF Leadership says is the mission of the majority of today's Air Force. As determined by USAF Leadership, advanced Battle features like easy entry slanted chest, arm, and leg cargo pockets, elbow and knee padding pockets, improved neck closure to keep debris out and to protect from body armor, gusseted shoulders for ease of movement, and most importantly... an authentic Battle ready advanced pixilated Tiger Stripe pattern and colorway are not needed for the 21st century U.S. Air Force.

Besides making the connection between the Air Force and the pattern; why is blue one of the pattern colors? Besides the sky or ocean, how often does the color blue occur in deserts, forests, jungles, or urban settings? This uniform does not seem to fit the definition of an advanced Battle uniform. This is evidently a new style of Battle uniform.

We're sorry. We wished we had the opportunity to give you an authentic Battle uniform with all the relevant features plus an effective camouflage design. At the very least you could have had a uniform with a State-of-the-Art pixilated Tiger Stripe pattern and colorway.

The men and women of the Air Force have our undying support for the difficult jobs that are performed for our country. Is this new adopted camouflage and uniform design an Airman Battle Uniform or an Airman Barracks Uniform? Maybe it's just according to your own definition. Judge for yourself."

I know that the USAF leadership wasn't happy when that came out. It's getting shoved down everyone's throats like it's gods gift to combat because they already wasted too much money on it.

:upeyes:

4. dewidmt

dewidmt Gunaholic

May 25, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, I remember the stink when we changed from our "pickle" uniforms to those "brand new" BDU's! Of course, most of us bought our own long before they were available in the BX or military clothing.
    I guess the Air Force just didn't want the Army pattern, don't know why, we've been wearing it for something like 23 years now. Oh well, just gotta be different I guess and use up a lotta taxpayer money!
    Whenever anyone is promoted to a slot in AF leadership, the first thing they do is "change" something. Just to make a name for themselves and have something to put on that next efficiency report!
    Glad I'm out, retired in 04.....

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    The pattern actually disappears well enough at night out here in the desert, though daytime, similar to the ACU, it doesn't do too well until you're at a distance. In urban terrain, like ACUs it probably breaks up better.

Several of our people have them now, the rest of us are in DCUs.

6. crazypilot

May 21, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV

Sounds like you're out there now. Good luck and Take care.

7. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
  8. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    There's no velcro on these is there? I haven't seen any enlisted folk around here wearing them, so I haven't been able to talk with anyone about them. They seem to be as useless as the ACUs, and the boots are just rediculous. You know it is bad when the manufacturer releases an appology with the product..

drew

9. crazypilot

May 21, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    No there's no velcro. I've been wearing them for a month now and all I can say is the people from the uniform board need to get fired. I'm in maintenance and it is really hard to keep them clean. I don't have coveralls since our shop doesn't have money (go figure). When the oil drips on the boots, it is not coming off. However, fuel dries up quick. I can't wait until they start issuing the boots so I can use the messed up boots for work and keep the clean ones in the car.

10. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    Same problem with the ACUs and the tan boots....Get oil or grease on them, and they're done...Hell, with the BDUs, a grease or oil stain just looked like more cammo...

drew

11. P991911

P991911

Sep 8, 2007
    All I got to say about the ABUs are OMFG LOL.

12. najaboy

najaboy

Mar 18, 2002
    Melbourne, FL
    Just to clarify, Tiger Stripe Products is not the manufacturer of the ABU- they were the designers. The manufacturer of the issued ABU is Propper International.

"Licensed" commercial versions of the ABU are manufactured by Propper International, American Apparel, Bethel Industries, National Industries for the Blind, National Industries for the Severely Handicapped, and Tama Manufacturing.

13. use2b6L32

use2b6L32

Apr 26, 2006
    Kalifornistan
    The ABU (should be AFUBU) is/was a solution looking for a problem.

These things are virtually no improvement over what the AF already had.

News Flash: no one else is using DCU's or Woodland BDU's anymore! so by default, the AF is unique. The other branches have their own pattern of utility uniform now.

The AF would rather spend money on a new and unimproved uniform than retain good people.

No wonder the AF is the laughing stock of the DOD.

Sad...

14. P991911

P991911

Sep 8, 2007
    National Industies for the Blind? LOL now it makes sense.

15. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    Bwahahahahahahahaha....Yeah, I love getting new uniforms with inspections stickers from blind people or prison inmates....

drew

16. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    The lack of starching and ironing and polishing EVERY DANG DAY (Security Forces, we have to look good) is the ONLY good thing coming out of this.

17. slaytera666

slaytera666

Apr 24, 2006
    Tucson
    God, you are such a tool.

18. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    LMFAO! That is about the only plus we could come up with for ACUs/Tan boots. It was a great change of pace in Korea because 2ID was mirror shines and razor creases...Kinda hard to maintain in the motorpool..

drew

19. srfl

srfl

Jul 3, 2004
    Florida
    I plan on still wearing my DCUs until the mandatory replacement date.

20. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Yeah having a perfect shine and razor sharp creases, to then go sit in a Humvee in body armor and a helmet for 8-16 hours where absolutely NO ONE will see you always made perfect sense....

Or on the gates, where nobody notices, or cares (hell, they barely notice you're armed)..

The no shine, no crease thing is the only improvement. In most other ways, the ABU is a waste of time (too hot, pockets are STILL not in a useful location) although the pattern isn't as bad as we thought it'd be over here in the sand, just depends if you're trying to hide on top of a sand dune with no other cover or not. :)

The guys and girls who have them are not overly thrilled with them, it's more of a "well, they're here, get it over with" reaction. The "Baby Crap Green" boots are still not fancied.