close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 9MM Glocker

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by tmerritt530, May 7, 2012.

1. tmerritt530

tmerritt530
    Expand Collapse

Hi! I am from Wichita, KS. Just bought my first gun. A new Gen4 19! Put 45 rounds through it last night. New gun plus new shooter period so I got some practicing to do before I am ready to carry... I was at least hitting a 10" x 10" ceiling tile from ten yards. Need to work on my cleaning up my grip because I had a few fliers...

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the sport.

If you want any tips, just ask. I may not be the best, but I can type fast :)

3. tmerritt530

tmerritt530
    Expand Collapse

As far as the grip goes, I found myself missing the 10"by 10" target entirely when I aimed dead center from a half Micheal Jordan Leap away. I have heard of snap caps how do they work and how can they help me clean up my hand movement ( make it go away) when pulling the trigger?

4. rilkil23

rilkil23
    Expand Collapse

Good looking rig. I am new to the Glock thing and having a ton of fun with mine. Welcome and congratulations.

5. tmerritt530

tmerritt530
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I wanted to get one the day I turned 21. I'm only two years late, oh well...

I think my hands are too big making me have to curl my trigger finger too much. Going to try the GEN4 backstraps...

6. truetopath

truetopath
    Expand Collapse

Congrats on the new Glock and Welcome from NY!!

7. larson1122

larson1122
    Expand Collapse

Welcome and Congrats!

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

The snap caps are dummy rounds, so your firing pin has something to hit (to protect it). You can also dryfire with an empty chamber (there is debate as to which guns that is ok with). Glock obviously allows dryfire to clean the gun (it is in the manual).

Your mind knows recoil is coming. Dryfiring or snap caps allow you to practise trigger pull and holding steady, without having to worry about recoil.

Always keep pointed in a safe direction, even during dryfiring. Some people dryfire so much that they forget to unload (seriously). I like a mental break of checking 3 times that the gun is empty before dryfiring.

The real key to accuracy, in my opinion, is a surprise break. Hold gun steady, align sights, hold sights on target. All that done with one half of your brain. The other half of your brain begins a slow and steady trigger pull. So slow, for learning purposes, that you don't know when the gun will fire. Take 30 seconds to pull the trigger completely from when you begin starting the pull. Slowly, ever so slowly, pressure builds, but when exactly will the pressure in the trigger break and the gun go BOOM? You do not exactly want to know. Later you speed things up, but you still don't want to know exactly when it will fire. That is the basis of the surprise break. If your mind doesn't know exactly when the BOOM is, then you won't flinch.

Put a dummy round in the middle of your mag, and when you get to it and the gun goes "click", did the sights move, or did they hold steady? Someone watching you would be able to tell for sure.

Sitting at a bench is helpful for learning to pull the trigger, because you don't get tired holding the gun. A .22 handgun is good for learning too, because you are less likely to flinch from the recoil.

A dummy round in your mag, and someone watching you (neato if on video) can tell you if you are holding the gun steady when it goes click. It should hold just as steady as when you are dryfiring. If it doesn't hold steady? Why is that? Flinch :) Various forms of flinch, such as anticipating, bracing, tension, lots of stuff going on just before your mind expects the BOOM. Stuff that doesn't happen when your mind knows the gun is just going to be dryfired.

#8 ithaca_deerslayer, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  9. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

Welcome, gotta love the FDE :wavey:

:50cal:

10. tmerritt530

tmerritt530
    Expand Collapse

I went to all the stores here in wichita, and many pawn shops, to get a feel for what the local market price is bearing on new glocks right now. (about $585 everywhere in town, yuk!) One of the places I checked, Cabelas, had the FDE and it surprised me. I had not seen it before . I asked them to price match but they only wanted to match the black ones since they kinda knew they had the only FDE in town. In the end I talked them to 599 and I had a $20 Cabelas credit...

I did find a pawn shop near me that the owner was willing to cut me a good deal but he couldn't get FDE due to sold-out-ification.

Short story long I got my FDE gen4 for a little less than the going local rate. And a free hat.

#10 tmerritt530, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  11. tmerritt530

tmerritt530
    Expand Collapse

Ooh! lots of help, thanks! I'll practice surprise break both dry fire and live and pick up some snap caps to test if I retain my dry fire practice when I start putting holes in cardboard. Thats a good tip!

12. tmerritt530

tmerritt530
    Expand Collapse

I have a video clip of my very first few shots

13. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

14. Raven1967

Raven1967
    Expand Collapse

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

Cool, post a link :)

16. mymini40

mymini40
    Expand Collapse

Welcome!

17. tmerritt530

tmerritt530
    Expand Collapse

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLbWXRsOlg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]New glock 19 - YouTube[/ame]

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't look like your first time with a handgun.

The glasses aren't protecting your eyes up there :rofl:

The re-gripping is normal until you get used to a grip. If you are not happy with your accuracy, you'll want to slow things way down to work on it. You do appear to brace the moment before each shot.

Pretty good overall :)

19. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

20. tmerritt530

tmerritt530
    Expand Collapse

I forgot those were there. Dumb. Next time I will bring my clear pair so when it gets cloudy i wont be tempted to remove them.

Ive been practicing dry firing every night. I think i fixed the grip awkwardness (regrip in the vid) by adding the large backstrap.