close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

new 45 powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by billy b, Feb 14, 2012.

1. billy b

billy b

Jan 29, 2009
    ohio
    i looking for a new 45 target powder. i have a lot of powder but want to try something different (45acp). thinking of titegroup, 231, wst, aa5. to those that load 45 what do you think.

2. Citroen

Citroen

Sep 25, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I spoke with one of the techs at AA and was told that # 2 is a better powder for .45 ACP than # 5. Been using it ever since and like it a lot.

Fine grain, meters well - down side is that a decent load fills less than half the case length so a double charge is possible. I "peak" into each round as I turn the press to the seating die to ensure the powder is just below half and I scale about every 10th one.

So far, excellent results.
    John
    Charlotte, NC

3. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida

I've used all those powders in .45ACP. For target use I'm inclined to recommend Tightgroup for 230 gr bullets because of the low charge weight required. I liked the WST because it seemed to be a softer shooting powder (that still delivered the requisite velocity), but it required almost a full grain more than Tightgroup to deliver that same velocity.

The .45ACP I load for public training, is loaded with AA5. Lowish charge weight, big muzzle flash, sharp recoil, imitates hotter self defense ammo better.

WW231, that is just pretty good powder all 'round for the .45ACP generally speaking. You can use it under virtually all the available bullet weights and it will perform consistently in them. But it's not very clean, not very soft shooting, makes up in smoke what it lacks in muzzle flash (which is still significant).

NONE of these powders are loaded in my defensive ammunition, just too much muzzle flash. I use Hodgden Clays for that. . . . and that is NOT a recommendation that anyone else do that. Clays has a very narrow charge weight band it can be loaded to "safely" in the .45ACP. This is one of the very few powders I've met over the years where .1 gr can make a really significant difference in pressure (!!).

Of course; standard disclaimers apply. This is all based on MY guns - your experience may vary drastically.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  4. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    Another vote for WST, works great, low recoil,meters great,clean burning. Has a lot of the things I usually don't care about.:supergrin:

5. rickrope

rickrope

Nov 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I've been using WST for about 12 years everytime I change to something new I end up go back to WST in a hurry. :dunno:

6. Glockaholic2

Glockaholic2

Feb 9, 2012
    Webster, TX
    Don't count out Alliant Unique. I just tried it out and it shot well and clean. I've used 231 and Titegroup as well. Both were good.

7. Fwdftw

Fwdftw

Apr 18, 2009
    Hernando MS
    I liked win231 5.6 grain over a 200 lswc at 1.255 oal

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. bowhunter1

bowhunter1 1911 Fan

May 19, 2003
    Nittany Lion
    My goto load 4.8gr of WST and 200gr LSWC

Clean, Low smoke with lead, low recoil, works with standard springs

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Wow, an entire grain of powder!:shocked: So you save like 1/10 of a penny per round! For that you get a powder that burns hotter & occpies 1/3 less space inside the large case.:whistling: WST, hands down best 45acp powder I have ever tried & that includes all that you mentioned & then some, for target to full power loads. The only thing it won't do is +P loads. BTW, Clays won't even hit factory vel safely so purely minor loads only.

10. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    Clays is nice, but if you need to worry about PF or want less smoke with FMJ or non-jacketed bullets, you're better off with WST. It's got a much broader load range and can get you more velocity than Clays [safely] can.

11. Unique. It ain't just for Granpa anymore.

12. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

Mar 8, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    I like W231. I use it in 45ACP, 38 Spl & 40 S&W.

13. snowwdog

snowwdog snowwdog

Nov 30, 2011
    georgia
    universal clays, i love it. Works wonderful with my 200 grain berrys. Im not building crotch rockets, im having fun at the range. Downside if you can call it that is low case volume.

14. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    I tried Universal in my first .45acp reloads. I found the starting load to be crazy low velocity, and the recoil got bad with increasing charge weight faster than the velocity picked up. Clays and WST do much better.

15. cliffb

cliffb

Apr 2, 2001
    Nevada
    Another WST vote for all the reasons already listed.

16. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    I had the same experience with Universal in my 45acp loads. I did find it to be an excellent powder for my 9mm loads.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  17. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    I use TG and Bullseye, liked BE over TG. I just picked up some WST and will see if it's the cat's meow. :supergrin: