close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New 4473 Form Borderline Racist

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jul 7, 2012.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    Has anyone seen the new 4473 forms? Now instead of just asking nationality they split it into two sections. First it asks ethnicity and then it asks nationality. The bad part is under "Ethnicity" it only gives two options...hispanic and non-hispanic. Is that how people are categorized these days? There are now only two ethnicities that matter when buying a gun? Whether you are hispanic or not.

2. IBTL

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
  4. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    That's because that's how ethnicity is tracked on a federal level. I don't say whether it makes sense or not, but that's how EVERY current federal form that requires it is; from employment documentation to applications for anything.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    They'll be checking sexual orientation next.

6. Correct. And this change pre-dates Obama. It allows to check all the races instead of picking just one. It sees Hispanic as a linguistic and cultural background and not a race.

Funny thing is, you can answer however you want on these specific types of questions. There is no truth and no truth checking. Help yourself as a job applicant and find your inner minority.

Heck even our President who has a White mother declined to check "White". If he can lie on a federal race and ethnicity form, so can anyone. Because there is no truth to this stuff and thus no lying :)

7. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

Ummmmm....YES!!!!:wavey:

You do know that our government sucks up to the immigrants, right?

Come to South Fl. You'll be in for a rude awakening!:rofl:

This country is laughable now! Everyone knows it, but no one will admit to it for fear of being called a racist.

By the way....

Hispanic and Latino are NOT races, according to the government, so you CANNOT be called a racist if you don't like them.

This country makes me laugh!:rofl:

TGG

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    This goes back to the 2000 Census. I'm surprised it took this long to update everything. Oh wait, it's the goobermint. Nevermind.

9. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    Just check "other" it's none of their business.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Interesting

I haven't seen the new form yet.

11. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    I just got an email from the ATF outlining the change (I subscribe to a lot of their mass emails).

12. Rancher

Rancher

Jun 3, 2003
    SW Missouri
    All my incident reports as an LEO had a box to check for either hispanic or non-hispanic. That was going on even back in the 80's. Guess I'm saying it has been around a while.

Rancher

13. People from Spain are not Latinos. I am tired of the invasion and all the non English speakers of all nations being here. :shocked: The new racism is against Caucasians because we are too complacent. :whistling:

14. I think they need a catagory for "mutt" which I'm pretty sure is what I am, but I've never really cared enough to find out.

15. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

Jun 20, 2001
    Florida
    Back when the 4473 just had a blank space for race, I once had a customer write in "Anglo-Franc."

16. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel Beretta 92 Nut!

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    Get used to it. I am a probation officer. All the forms people fill out for us have had this on there for years. That's the way things are done. You just apparently never saw it before.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  17. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Big Thicket, Texas
    I was at an Academy store yesterday, and there was a "Hispanic" guy at the gun counter arguing with the gun salesman in broken English because he couldn't read the 4473, and was demanding either a copy in Spanish, or the store needed to provide him a translator as the potential buyer couldn't read\write English. I didn't hang around to see the outcome, but heard the gun counter guy paging the store manager to the gun counter as I was checking out.