close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by got2hav1, May 3, 2012.

1. got2hav1

got2hav1

Apr 9, 2010
    Eastern NC
    My first 1911. After much searching and reading and handling 1911s I settled on a new Colt Combat Commander in brushed stainless. Feels great in the hand, well balanced, and a smooth trigger. I have not shot it yet, just picked it up today, but I think it will be a great shooter. The choice came down to a used Kimber CDP ll or this Colt which was new. I could have been just as happy with the Kimber because it felt great as well. Here are a couple of quick cell phone pictures, let me know how you like it.:supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    I applaud your choice of the COLT. If you want one, a Kimber can always be found.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Congratulations!!!

I bought the Lightweight Commander XSE late last year. The gun shot low with various loads so I had the 10-8 rear sight put in and she shoots dead on now.

I switched out the ambidextrous safety lever for a left-only safety lever. The Colt ambi safety is rather flimsy and if you're not a lefty, it doesn't do squat for you.

I also switched out the plastic mainspring housing for a steel one, and ditched the one-piece guide rod for the GI short guide rod & plug (strictly personal preference - also makes gun disassembles and reassembles a hair easier). Oh, and did away with those funky grip screws for the flat tip grip screws. When I want to take the grip panels off for cleaning, I don't want to have to go hunt up a hex head wrench.

Otherwise, it shoots tight and the trigger isn't half bad for a factory trigger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

Nov 23, 2009
    My 1911 XSE Commander shoots low as well. I am thinking about replacing the sights. Congrats on the new Commander, you will love it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I think that there is a rash of Commander lengths that did not get calibrated correctly. My Talo CCO also shot low (regular Colt three-dots sights and not Novak). Colt corrected it and threw in a steel mainspring housing for free. The problem is that it took three months.

That's why I just took the XSE to the local smithy and spent $70 on a new sight plus labor. Colt would make it good free of charge...just takes a wee bit of time.

6. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

Nov 23, 2009
    Thanks for the advice! I'll probably go the local smithy route as well. The pistol fires nice tight groups about 3-4" inches low at 10 yards.

7. got2hav1

got2hav1

Apr 9, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Bac, thanks for the 1911 guide. I spent a lot of time reading thru that. It was very informative. :cool:

8. got2hav1

got2hav1

Apr 9, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Thanks Fin, I will keep that in mind. I have sights on my short list for sure. The Colt ones are not bad as they are but if they need adjustment anyway, I can replace with better ones.:cool:

9. got2hav1

got2hav1

Apr 9, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Thanks Trekker. I am liking it so far. Excited to take it out and put some rounds thru it.