close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Never been to a range

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by zzrayz, Mar 18, 2009.

1. zzrayz

zzrayz
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Just got my first gun today, Glock 21. I've never been to a range. Can anyone give me an idea what to expect.

What do I need to bring?
    How do ranges charge? hourly? by the round?
    Is there anything I should look for in a range? Provided there are more than one in Ft Wayne.
    Range etiquette?

I applied for my lifetime personal protection permit 3 weeks ago. Am I correct in my understanding that I cannot legally carry my gun to a range until I receive it?
    If someone who has a LTCH travels with me, can I legally fire mine at the range?

Any answers or advice would be welcome

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. FThorn

FThorn
    Expand Collapse
    TV/Movie Club

You can lock it in your trunk and take it to and from the range AFAIK. Ask at the range THEIR rules once you get there. Or call before and understand them. Especially take 'eyes and ears'; hearing and eye protection.

3. rkba_net

rkba_net
    Expand Collapse

This is a violation of Indiana law... it is illegal in Indiana to take a handgun to a range to target shoot etc etc WITHOUT either a Hunting / Target Permit or a Personal Protection Permit. It doesn't matter if the weapon is stored in the trunk or not. I suggest either waiting on the permit OR go shooting with someone that has one.

4. Scutter01

Scutter01
    Expand Collapse

5. zzrayz

zzrayz
    Expand Collapse

I was afraid of that. They quoted me 12 weeks on the LTCH. Until then, I can just look at my g21.

I am aware of the range at h&h in Fort Wayne. Is it a good place to shoot? Are there better ranges in Fort Wayne?

6. THEPOPE

THEPOPE
    Expand Collapse
    Nibb

Contact me......I live where you do... we can go to the range at H+H, must join, and pay per hour....20 bucks total gets you to shoot.....

".........I still remember it was autumn and the moon was shinin'...my 60 cadillac was rollin' through Nebraska, whinin'.....I am out :cool:

7. Pop Gunner

Pop Gunner
    Expand Collapse

Once you get your permit,shoot the heck out of that bad-boy!
    I was down at Atterbury awhile back,I was shooting rifle.I seen a DNR officer pull in,get out of his green suv,walk down to the pistol area and start asking all the shooters for their permits.
    And I thought how low,we gonna go with this?
    The RO in charge was a few paces back and acting like his sub-servant under-study!
    I finished my round of ammo and never went back!

8. FThorn

FThorn
    Expand Collapse
    TV/Movie Club

asked long gun shooters for licenses?

9. zzrayz

zzrayz
    Expand Collapse

I found out my neighbor has a permit. So I had him transport my gun for me.
    My second cousin lives out in BFE. So we headed out there and setup some targets on his woodpile.
    I loaded my first clip. Squeezed. It was great!
    I thought getting to shoot my gun would hold me over until I got my permit.
    It did not. Now I can't wait.

10. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

"PROTECTION PERMIT?"

"12 WEEK WAIT FOR IT?"

:wow:

I thought CA was the worst state for gun ownership. When I bought my S&W 500 at a store with a range, I was able to shoot it BEFORE the 10-day wait.

11. zzrayz

zzrayz
    Expand Collapse

Lifetime protection.
    Quoted 12 weeks.

12. undrgrnd44

undrgrnd44
    Expand Collapse

Wow, so let me get this straight, you cannot take your pistol to a range without a permit???

When did this take effect?, I have been to the Brookeville pubic range tons of times, and never has the range master asked for any sort of permit..
    Maybe I missed something here.

13. zzrayz

zzrayz
    Expand Collapse

without a permit you can have a hand gun on your property.
    you can drive it home, unloaded, in the original case after purchase.
    you can drive it to and from a repair shop to be fixed.
    you can transport to your new home if you move.
    other than that it can not legally leave your property with it.
    I imagine you would have to have some kind of proof to back up these reasons for transport.

I got around this by having a permit holder drive it for me. as handguns in Indiana don't have to be registered, no one could prove it was my gun and not his. when I was at my cousins property, no one could prove my gun was not my cousins.

So I THINK I was following the law, kind of. a permit holder transported it and it was used on private property by the owner of said property. as my cousin shot it too, it is as if it were his gun and he let me try it.

I think I was following the law close enough not to get into trouble. Does anyone know of a reason this would not hold up legally?

14. Scutter01

Scutter01
    Expand Collapse

State Law requires the issuing authority to pass or deny within 60 days. Realistically, you used to be able to get your license in a couple of weeks. However, they've been so backlogged with new applications since the election that it's drawing out their schedule quite a bit. 10-12 weeks is NOT normal, however. The license in Indiana is really the worst part of it. Once you're past that, Indiana is one of the most gun-friendly states in the Union.

The range master is not responsible for ensuring that you are properly licensed, nor does he have the authority to detain and arrest you for carrying without a license. However, there have been anecdotal stories of DNR officers showing up at Eagle Creek and checking everyone there. The law is quite clear and there is no room for misinterpretation. Just because you have gotten away with it "tons of times" does not mean you were legal. It's either a Class A misdemeanor or a Class C felony, depending on your location at the time of your arrest (for example, within 1000 feet of a school).

Added in 1983 and amended several times since, as indicated in the statute.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

Yes, that's perfectly legal.

For your reference, here's a link to the whole of the firearms statutes for IN, and a second link pointing to just the licensing part.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/index.html

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

15. Pop Gunner

Pop Gunner
    Expand Collapse

Yes that was a DNR officer doing the shake-down at the pistol range,
    I observed this while shooting rifle,next alley over.
    no permits needed to shoot,transport or talk rifle,
    don't even think about without a permit for a pistol!

16. deadmonkey90

deadmonkey90
    Expand Collapse
    Pro Bass Angler

What? your crazy, you do not need a permit for anything just to take your gun to a range and target shoot it. its a good idea to get your indiana carry license, but not at all necessary.

17. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

You are seriously kidding...

18. Scutter01

Scutter01
    Expand Collapse

So, you missed where the statute was posted a few posts above, then? If you can point out the part where it says it's OK to take it to the range without a license, I'd be much obliged.

19. jdhaines

jdhaines
    Expand Collapse
    Matls. Engineer

:rofl::rofl:

:faint::wow:

20. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77
    Expand Collapse
    Thread Killer

Nope, that's the law, as it stands, in Indiana.

But I can guarantee that there are thousands of folks who don't follow the law.

Unfortuantely...

-J-