Glock Talk banner

Networking/Printer Question

813 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ibontop 
#1 ·
I have a wireless network set up with cable internet and a Linksys wireless router. I have 2 multi-function printers that I plan on adding to the network via Linksys wireless print hubs.

My question is this... I need to be able to print to these printers from offsite by using the printers' IP addresses. I know it can be done, but I'm not sure how to do it. I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

#2 ·
You have a router attached to your at home network for you high speed connection? If that's the case you need to check to see if the router will allow you VPN access back to your at home network.

How this can be done will be directly related to what kind of router you have.

But basically...if you are off site and not on your at home network you are on two different networks.

#4 ·
Originally posted by 45acp4me
You can print to one of them easily through a cheap NAT capable router/firewall by setting up a rule on the proper IP port. If you want true VPN functionality to print to both and to see your internal network, you will be paying some decent sized bucks to do it.
Yeah, but FTP on 21 tends to be all that most need (and the printing in this case.

printing is typically port 9100, but a lot of the MFPrinters are a tad different.

'Drew

#5 ·
Originally posted by NYC Drew
Yeah, but FTP on 21 tends to be all that most need (and the printing in this case.

printing is typically port 9100, but a lot of the MFPrinters are a tad different.

'Drew
Going point.

I'm pretty sure both could be utlized if he employed a simple IP chains based linux firewall so he could map the port number on both sides. The problem with the cheap routers is they can pass a port request to an internal address, but it has to be the same port that the request came in on.

Do you know of any inexspensive gear that will allow port mapping on both sides?

Example:

External request comes in on 23.34.22.76:9200 and goes to internal 192.168.1.5:9100

#6 ·
Originally posted by 45acp4me
Going point.

I'm pretty sure both could be utlized if he employed a simple IP chains based linux firewall so he could map the port number on both sides. The problem with the cheap routers is they can pass a port request to an internal address, but it has to be the same port that the request came in on.

Do you know of any inexspensive gear that will allow port mapping on both sides?

Example:

External request comes in on 23.34.22.76:9200 and goes to internal 192.168.1.5:9100
Some of the el cheapo Linksys stuff does port triggering and port forwarding simultaneously...

Let me put my thinking cap on...I may be full of crap...up since two days ago.

'Drew

#7 ·
Originally posted by RazorbackME
I have a wireless network set up with cable internet and a Linksys wireless router. I have 2 multi-function printers that I plan on adding to the network via Linksys wireless print hubs.

My question is this... I need to be able to print to these printers from offsite by using the printers' IP addresses. I know it can be done, but I'm not sure how to do it. I appreciate any guidance you can offer.
You have some good advice here. Just to add, you probably don't have a static IP address so whatever you set up may be moot if you can't find your own network from an offsite address. Cable modems may not get new IP addresses as often as the cable company states but the one I had changed every day or so. On the ofter hand, if you are paying for a static IP address, ignore this.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Historian
Some areas are now offering static IPs for a cost.
There are even some services who offer multiple IP's for your home network so all the issues regarding NAT and forwarding are moot.

PC Anywhere to one of your home PC's and print from there? Could be good for some remote access for files and apps too.

#10 ·
go to dyndns.com to obtain a static (or dynamic link) IP to your network IP. This should keep a updated table of your IP regardless how often the Dynamic IP from your cable co. changes. Once this is done (or before) just share your printers based on user and password access.

#11 ·
Originally posted by RazorbackME
My question is this... I need to be able to print to these printers from offsite by using the printers' IP addresses.
There are two ways to do this...

1) You need at least two IP addresses and a router that can do true one-to-one NAT.

12.23.34.45 --> 192.168.1.100 - first printer
12.23.34.46 --> 192.168.1.101 - second printer

2) You would need the ability to send print jobs to a non-standard port.

12.23.34.45:515 --> 192.168.1.100:515 - first printer
12.23.34.45:1515 --> 192.168.1.101:515 - second printer

Usually, with home internet, you have one external IP address. Even if you can get a second without an exhorbitant fee, you still need a router that does true NAT (not the NTA that they all say they do, which is really PAT). Or, you have to have a way to redirect print requests to an alternate port, which can be tricky because the port may be hard-wired in the code of the driver or printing application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.